Please ID this Avedis Zildjian stamp

larold

Reaction score
I recently got an A. Zildjian cymbal that was advertised as a 1960s vintage, but looks to be older. It has the small center hole.

The stamp is 1 1/8” tall or maybe a tiny bit shorter. The lettering isn’t pressed well, but the Arabic script is pretty clear and is much less smooth than other Zildjians I own from the 50s and 60s. Also, note the partial extra “MADE IN USA” under the stamp.

Anyone know which stamp this is? I’m thinking pre-Trans with the “Thin Ottoman Example”* of the Arabic script, but I’m not 100% certain.

Thanks!

*https://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html

2634927F-EF67-49BF-BF04-AB9865E4AD8B.jpeg

Last edited:

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
Yes that is an early 1940s trademark. Here is my more detailed page:

The die stamping is done in at least three different pieces which complicated simple naming because there are combinations of different tops and bottoms. Some call that one "second" to distinguish it from one called "first" which is supposed to be 1930s. Because they are applied in separate pieces and by hand we find a number of double strikes like the MADE IN USA on that example. When I wrote that section of my site the naming of these was still in a state of flux, and the years of use for the 5 or more versions were not well estimated. Some years have gone by and that is still the case. :dontknow: although when this info is shifted into the wiki I do have some more to add.

Last edited: