Please list any company currently making a 3 ply maple/poplar/maple drum

Tanabata

Reaction score
I'm only aware of Ludwig Legacy Maple. Any others making this exact layup with the solid maple rering? Thanks.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know C&C have made that exact layup in the past, but I'm not familiar with them enough to know if they still do.

skelt101

Reaction score
Gretsch has the Broadkaster, but those don’t have re-rings. WFL III Drums use a three ply Maple/Poplar/Maple shell, but I don’t know if they have re-rings either...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

Stone Custom Drum Co.
Chicago vintage series, maple/poplar/maple w/ ring
Looks like this company
does

this club date auction was what tipped me off:

(what do I win? ; )

skelt101

Reaction score

Stone Custom Drum Co.
Chicago vintage series, maple/poplar/maple w/ ring
Looks like this company
does

this club date auction was what tipped me off:

(what do I win? ; )

"Not this time, Mr. Powers!"
Stone Custom Drum Co. specifies 3-ply maple/poplar/maple reinforcement rings, not the requested solid maple. I wonder what kind of difference, if any, that would have on the sound...

Tanabata

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm grateful for any and all input! First time I've heard of Stone Custom Drum.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
First time I've heard of Stone Custom Drum.
If I remember right they are the company that has the original Slingerland shell making equipment that they use to produce their own shells in the same fashion as Slingerland once did.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The stone custom's use a 3 ply rering (drops from cutting shells 3 ply shells I would imagine). I'm pretty sure Ludwig is the only company with solid re-rings. I spoke with Bill at C&C a while back and I can tell you they do not do a 3 ply shell; their Maple/Poplar/Maple is actually 5 ply with a thick poplar middle and two thin plys of maple on each side.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I checked Stone out a few times to make a thick shell like Ludwig's 6 ply. They were fairly expensive but not un-reasonable for what they were. That was quite a few years ago. When I checked again he said he was selling exclusively through Sweetwater, that too was probably 5 years ago.

I seem to recall one of the builder sites used to sell solid ply re-rings to add to your own shell but I don't remember which one.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Q has a maple/poplar/maple kit as well.

My broadkasters, which is that formula, sounds FAR superior then my Ludwig Legacy (which I sent down the road).

Tanabata

Reaction score
The Q Drums website looks interesting, but they don't have any info regarding how many plies, edges, or sizes available; not that I found, anyway.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Just to throw in a wild card, I don't think the middle ply has any effect on the sound, poplar or whatever. In the 1980's, all the drum companies started bragging about "all maple shells." But it had nothing to do with the inner plies. The real difference from the old vintage drums was thicker shells and 45 degree sharp bearing edges.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Middle plies may matter more than if the ring is ply. Which come to think I never heard of a ply ring...until today..

Latest posts