Please recommend a definitive record from the classic jazz drummers?

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have great admiration for the place that the legends hold in drum history. But I was never more than an admirer from a distance. I have Gene and Buddy albums and Joe Morello with Brubeck but never ventured much further.

Recently, while reading the Modern Drummer tribute to Elvin Jones issue after his death in 2004, I decided it was time to remedy that gap.

I have been rereading Ron Spagnardi‘s book The Great Jazz Drummers for suggestions.

So while I’m embarrassed to say these are missing from my music collection, I’d welcome your suggestions for the definitive album for each of the names below to help me appreciate these greats:

1. Tony Williams (early pre fusion)
2 Max Roach
3. Elvin Jones
4. Papa Jo Jones
5. Philly Jo Jones
6. Art Blakey
7. Jimmy Cobb
8. Shelly Manne
9. Sonny Payne

I know I left lots of people out, so if you’ve got other recommendations please share them.

Thanks!

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Tony Williams (early pre fusion) - Miles at the Plugged Nickel
2 Max Roach - anything with Clifford Brown
3. Elvin Jones - any Coltrane Impulse! or (A Love Supreme)
4. Papa Jo Jones not sure
5. Philly Jo Jones - Milestones (Miles)
6. Art Blakey - any Jazz Messengers
7. Jimmy Cobb - Kind of Blue (Miles)
8. Shelly Manne - Shelley Manne and his Men live at the Manne Hole
9. Sonny Payne - not sure

Mike B

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Tony Williams (early pre fusion) - Miles at the Plugged Nickel
2 Max Roach - anything with Clifford Brown
3. Elvin Jones - any Coltrane Impulse! or (A Love Supreme)
4. Papa Jo Jones not sure
5. Philly Jo Jones - Milestones (Miles)
6. Art Blakey - any Jazz Messengers
7. Jimmy Cobb - Kind of Blue (Miles)
8. Shelly Manne - Shelley Manne and his Men live at the Manne Hole
9. Sonny Payne - not sure

Mike B
Cool, thanks!

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have great admiration for the place that the legends hold in drum history. But I was never more than an admirer from a distance. I have Gene and Buddy albums and Joe Morello with Brubeck but never ventured much further.

Recently, while reading the Modern Drummer tribute to Elvin Jones issue after his death in 2004, I decided it was time to remedy that gap.

I have been rereading Ron Spagnardi‘s book The Great Jazz Drummers for suggestions.

So while I’m embarrassed to say these are missing from my music collection, I’d welcome your suggestions for the definitive album for each of the names below to help me appreciate these greats:

1. Tony Williams (early pre fusion)
2 Max Roach
3. Elvin Jones
4. Papa Jo Jones
5. Philly Jo Jones
6. Art Blakey
7. Jimmy Cobb
8. Shelly Manne
9. Sonny Payne

I know I left lots of people out, so if you’ve got other recommendations please share them.

Thanks!
For Philly Joe Jones, “Workin” and “Steamin,” with The Miles Davis Quintet.

For Sonny Payne, “April in Paris,” with The Count Basie Orchestra.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Art Blakey classics with the Jazz Messengers
1) Moanin
2) Free for all
3) A night in Tunisia

Mel Lewis
1) Maynard Ferguson - Blues Roar
2) Art Pepper and Eleven
3) Terry Gibbs Dream Band

Roy Haynes
Chic Correa - Now he sings , Now he sobs

Philly Jo Jones
Miles Davis - Milestones

Tony Williams
Miles Davis - Four and More
Lifetime - Believe it

These are a few of my personal faves

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In addition to the find recommendations already made:

1. Tony Williams (early pre fusion) - really hard, as he played on so many iconic albums. I agree that the Miles live recordings, like the Plugged Nickel box set, or Four and More, are fantastic, but you could also add Nefertiti for a studio album. Two non-Miles albums that are just as essential: Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch, and Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage.
2 Max Roach - I'm partial to Percussion Bitter Sweet
3. Elvin Jones - Agree on A Love Supreme; another great starting point would be Coltrane Live at Birdland; for non-Coltrane albums with Elvin, Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil is hard to beat, as is Larry Young's Unity (the duet between Young and Elvin on the tune "Monk's Dream" is tasty).
7. Jimmy Cobb - Along with Kind of Blue, another near contemporaneous masterpiece, Coltrane's Giant Steps (where Cobb plays on the iconic tune "Naima"; Art Taylor plays on the rest of the album)

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, for Sonny Payne: 50's Basie. He's turbocharged, sort of the high art of as high as the original big band (bluesy, hard-swinging) got. Jo Jones is his predecessor in the same group! His time period is a little less modern, but he's getting the band to really swing, pulling big band from it's early style, on the way to "April in Paris," if you will.

Of course both of these fine drummers recorded with other folks as well, and I am shamefully unknowledgeable on their discography.

PS. For Tony Williams, I also like the Miles album "Nefertiti," especially because it's fairly produced. I really dig the languid title track.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. You’ve got a lot of sifting and listening to do. It’s not an easy answer nor an easy pursuit. Good luck!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any particular MJQ album you prefer?

Ox Han

Reaction score
Honestly, I’m not a jazz head, However, I found I really like

Anything by Art Blakey especially with the jazz messengers.

Philly Joe Jones on Miles Cookin’, Workin’, and Steamin. These three albums were recorded by RVG in his parents’ home and could be considered the pioneer to home recordings.

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. You’ve got a lot of sifting and listening to do. It’s not an easy answer nor an easy pursuit. Good luck!
I love it! As a recent retiree whose anticipated plans have been shelved for the foreseeable future by the Covid conditions, its actually great to have so many suggestions to work through. And, as I posted last week, having moved to an apt., where my one remaining drum kit sits in cases in a closet, this is a welcome diversion away from missing playing.

it’s also one of the best parts of drum forum, tapping the wisdom and insights of the folks here, who “get it” about drums!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used my Ludwig kit in the apartment I used to live in....

Ludwig_ClassicMaple_20061012_1.jpg

...brushes, my friend...its all about the brushes. ;)

Last edited:

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For Sonny Payne this is where you want to go:

7116lVTcZIL._SL1400_.jpg

51y0JSVk-rL.jpg

Sinatra was backed by the Count Basie band on "Live at the Sands”, Sonny Payne is on drums and he absolutely kills it.

The second record is of the same Count Basie band from their opening sets for these Sinatra shows. The drumming on both discs is amazing.

If you want to learn more about Sonny Payne and get some more info on these two records in particular listen to the podcast I have linked below. Drummer’s Weekly Groovecast did a very nice feature about Sonny in this episode. It’s very much worth your time. Discussion about Sonny begins at about 22:45 minutes into the podcast.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
RichardH253,

A couple of sax players you might want to check out....

Stan Getz

Art Pepper