Please recommend a definitive record from the classic jazz drummers?

richardh253

Reaction score
1. Tony Williams (early pre fusion) - Miles at the Plugged Nickel
2 Max Roach - anything with Clifford Brown
3. Elvin Jones - any Coltrane Impulse! or (A Love Supreme)
4. Papa Jo Jones not sure
5. Philly Jo Jones - Milestones (Miles)
6. Art Blakey - any Jazz Messengers
7. Jimmy Cobb - Kind of Blue (Miles)
8. Shelly Manne - Shelley Manne and his Men live at the Manne Hole
9. Sonny Payne - not sure

Mike B
Am loving 1954 I believe it is called Blues Walk and ...At Basin Street Thanks!!

ogniR rratS

Reaction score
Gretsch Drum Night at Birdland
Art Blakey, Charlie Persip, Elvin Jones, "Philly" Joe Jones

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
You also might want to check out Ed Thigpen on Oscar Peterson's Night Train. There are also some very good jazzers still playing. Bill Stewart, Brian Blades and Jeff Hamilton come to mind.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I must listen to Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers Free For All at least once or twice a week. He is in beast mode on this recording. I guess I could put this in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but Freddie Hubbard is a better trumpet player than Miles Davis. And Art Blakey in his prime would wear John Bonham out in a drum battle.

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
For Sonny Payne this is where you want to go:

View attachment 447555
View attachment 447556

Sinatra was backed by the Count Basie band on "Live at the Sands”, Sonny Payne is on drums and he absolutely kills it.

The second record is of the same Count Basie band from their opening sets for these Sinatra shows. The drumming on both discs is amazing.

If you want to learn more about Sonny Payne and get some more info on these two records in particular listen to the podcast I have linked below. Drummer’s Weekly Groovecast did a very nice feature about Sonny in this episode. It’s very much worth your time. Discussion about Sonny begins at about 22:45 minutes into the podcast.

I absolutely 100% agree with this. Firstly, Sonny was best in a live situation, and IMHO, next to Frank, he was the most important person on the Sands recording. He makes it. However, to fully appreciate Sonny, you have to see him play, because he was a very visual player. In fact, he was a show in himself. Check out this clip. Cue it up to about 9:55, last chorus of April in Paris, and you'll see what I mean. It always brings a big smile to my face.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Just remembered two more....

...first one's a bit pricey, but a nice overview of the Jazz drumming from the beginning to bebop...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and then there's Mel Lewis's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED take on the history of Jazz Drumming...

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks! Nice kit you have there. I've been thinking of experimenting with brushes & hotrods on a snare and cymbal and see if we get any complaints....then working my way up to the rest of the kits. Fortunately I tend towards pop, oldies, country, nothing super loud!
Get brushes that are adjustable.
I had a pair of Regal 550W's, which were absolutely lovely, but not adjustable.
To use them like a brush, they're fine, but when trying to use them like a stick, they kinda suck.
The ability to pull the bristles in a little to "stiffen" them up and "narrow" them down does a lot for using them like that.
On the advice of a very knowledgeable drummer, I now use a pair of Vic Firth Legacy Brushes. I really like the feel of the wood handle.
Rubber and plastic just were never quite right in my hands. Otherwise, the brushes work wonderfully and I've really enjoyed them.
I used to use Cool Rods, which are the thinner, lighter brother of the Hot Rods and even they might be a bit much for apartment use.
What I found really helps is if you can pick a time when most people are not around, like late morning/afternoon, during the week.
Everyone'll be at work and you'll pretty much have the whole building to yourself.....of course, these days, even that plan may not work to your advantage.
Anyway, glad you like my kit. That's the Ludwig kit I'm always going on about. In that photo, I had just gotten the ride, the snare and the HH top cymbal.
The crash has since been replaced by a flat ride and that's the last time you'll ever see a twin ply head on that kit (clear Double Thin on the bass, which now wears a Fiberskyn3) but everything else is still as it was when that photo was taken in 2006.

Elvis

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess I could put this in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but Freddie Hubbard is a better trumpet player than Miles Davis.
No you're stirring the pot! ;) Freddie Hubbard played some incredible stuff on the instrument. Major stylist, a definite favorite of mine. To me, Miles is just in a league of his own, not always the best chops, but so much else going on. I know many trumpet players who focus on Freddie, or Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw etc. more than on Miles. You can compare them by talking about differences and similarities, but ranking is always tricky, I avoid this with drummers as well.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No you're stirring the pot! ;) Freddie Hubbard played some incredible stuff on the instrument. Major stylist, a definite favorite of mine. To me, Miles is just in a league of his own, not always the best chops, but so much else going on. I know many trumpet players who focus on Freddie, or Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw etc. more than on Miles. You can compare them by talking about differences and similarities, but ranking is always tricky, I avoid this with drummers as well.
LOL. Stirring the pot is what I do best. I completely agree that Miles in a league of his own, head an shoulders above the rest. No argument there. But I find myself enthralled by the technically brilliant playing of guys like Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Chet Baker, etc.

richardh253

Reaction score
Get brushes that are adjustable.
I had a pair of Regal 550W's, which were absolutely lovely, but not adjustable.
To use them like a brush, they're fine, but when trying to use them like a stick, they kinda suck.
The ability to pull the bristles in a little to "stiffen" them up and "narrow" them down does a lot for using them like that.
On the advice of a very knowledgeable drummer, I now use a pair of Vic Firth Legacy Brushes. I really like the feel of the wood handle.
Rubber and plastic just were never quite right in my hands. Otherwise, the brushes work wonderfully and I've really enjoyed them.
I used to use Cool Rods, which are the thinner, lighter brother of the Hot Rods and even they might be a bit much for apartment use.
What I found really helps is if you can pick a time when most people are not around, like late morning/afternoon, during the week.
Everyone'll be at work and you'll pretty much have the whole building to yourself.....of course, these days, even that plan may not work to your advantage.
Anyway, glad you like my kit. That's the Ludwig kit I'm always going on about. In that photo, I had just gotten the ride, the snare and the HH top cymbal.
The crash has since been replaced by a flat ride and that's the last time you'll ever see a twin ply head on that kit (clear Double Thin on the bass, which now wears a Fiberskyn3) but everything else is still as it was when that photo was taken in 2006.

Elvis

Got it - I have all kinds of brushes left over from the downsize. I bought a (used) K flat top ride last summer, and the K Sweet Hihats @ 16" last fall. I kept the K "left hand ride" w/3 rivets to the right of the flattop. I knew we were moving but I knew I was keeping one set so...the one kit I kept was a 66 Ludwig BDP I've posted about elsewhere on DF.

Because we moved to a 55+ building most people are around during the day. I'll eventually figure something out

Thanks for the assist!

Attachments

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I absolutely 100% agree with this. Firstly, Sonny was best in a live situation, and IMHO, next to Frank, he was the most important person on the Sands recording. He makes it. However, to fully appreciate Sonny, you have to see him play, because he was a very visual player. In fact, he was a show in himself. Check out this clip. Cue it up to about 9:55, last chorus of April in Paris, and you'll see what I mean. It always brings a big smile to my face.

Holy Smokes!!!

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know you didn't ask, but how about some Stan Levey?

Somehow he's always left out of the greats for some reason, but he was one of, if not THE, first of the true bop drummer's, and went onto be the most recorded drummer ever and played with all of the greats. His life story is as awesome as his playing.

Try - This Time the Drum's on Me

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...ask and ye shall receive....

Personnel:

Conte Candoli-trumpet
Dexter Gordon-tenor
Frank Rosolino-trombone
Leroy Vinnegar-bass
Lou Levy-piano
Stan Levey-drums

Recorded 1956

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...speaking of hot drummers, Larry Bunker's been a favourite of mine for some time now. Here he is with Shorty Rogers in 1962....

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I love Art Blakey. I have also been digging more deeply into the stuff Tony played with Miles. Another great player was Arthur Taylor. He played on a ton of stuff from the 50's-60's.

1592844802512.png

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Night at Birdland, Vol. 2 (Rudy Van Gelder Edition) Art Blakey Quintet
The Drum Battle, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich at JATP, This is really a Krupa album with Rich appearing only on the drum battle cut.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
One of my favorite artists is Wayne Shorter and he put out lots of great albums with a number off different great drummers. Those records are a great way to hear some really fine drumming.

Though there are many more that are very good, I'd recommend these first:
Second Genesis - with Art Blakey *This one is lesser well known but a really amazing set. I like Art's playing on this as much as anything
Ju Ju - Elvin Jones
Adam's Apple - Joe Chambers * This guy wasn't on your list, but this album is really great and the drumming is perfect! It'll make you wonder why this Chambers guy isn't a bigger name.

For Tony Williams I like:
Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch *Get this only if your ready for something really adventurous - it's a wild wide! As unusal as this music is, I found that after listening to it a bit that some of the melodies as odd as they may be are really catchy. There's really nothing like this album so it's really worth checking out.

Others:
Roy Haynes- Out of the Afternoon *This one features Roland Kirk on multi-reeds and flute and really sounds like it could be one of his albums as he's so integral to it. Haynes' drumming though is outstanding and if you're getting these other drummers for this era, then you have to check out mr. Haynes.

Latest posts