Please school me on 1960's Ludwig Superbeat sets

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen some of these sets in the past and find them interesting....what year did they come out in? Do they all come with a cymbal holder on the kick drum? Do they have different spurs than gull wing spurs? Were they marketed in the middle of a, say, Downbeat and a Super Classic?
Thanks in advance for your info.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Best that I can tell, the Super Beat name just came together a few years ago. I began seeing collectors using the term to define a 20/13/16 Ludwig kit. I assume the name came from the 20 bass from the Downbeat kit and the 13,16 from the Super Classic kit.

Mike

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have seen some of these sets in the past and find them interesting....what year did they come out in? Do they all come with a cymbal holder on the kick drum? Do they have different spurs than gull wing spurs? Were they marketed in the middle of a, say, Downbeat and a Super Classic?
Thanks in advance for your info.
I have a March ‘66 SuperBeat. As noted above, hardware is the same across Super Classic, Downbeat, and SuperBeat, it’s just a matter of subbing the 20 BD for a 22. So, ride cymbal mount and gull wing spurs are present. Set came from the original owner who bought in a music store in the 20/13/16 configuration however chose an Acrolite instead of a Supra at purchase. Still has the factory heads.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a March ‘66 SuperBeat. As noted above, hardware is the same across Super Classic, Downbeat, and SuperBeat, it’s just a matter of subbing the 22 BD for a 20. So, ride cymbal mount and gull wing spurs are present. Set came from the original owner who bought in a music store in the 20/13/16 configuration however chose an Acrolite instead of a Supra at purchase. Still has the factory heads.
Thanks for the info.... sounds like a nice kit you have~~!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I actually thought this configuration was kind of an oddity for Ludwig but over the years, I have seen tons of them.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually thought this configuration was kind of an oddity for Ludwig but over the years, I have seen tons of them.
I did too, Kurt, but I think I thought it was because I was so used to see the catalogued configurations eg 22/13/16 or 201/12/14.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must of been a dealer option to substitute 22" bass drums with 20s.
"my Hollywood" (circa 63) (bought used in -68 (the age of the AM radio) was a 20/12/12/16---(instead of a 22"
stock.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive felt the same way.
I put an orphan kit of '58 WFLs,13,15,20.
It sounded killer!
I always thought the 13 and the 20 were odd.
They musta sold lots of them,see them all over.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig 20/13/16 makes more acoustic sense to me then the two Slingerland 20/13/14’s I’ve owned.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The name is a made up drum collector thing not an "official" catalog outfit name. It seems a fair number of people liked this setup though as there are a lot of sets out there (or perhaps people are assembling sets and can't find a 22).

A "Super Beat" wouldn't be between a Downbeat or a Super Classic or any other Ludwig set as they were one and all the very same drums. The names were outfit configurations not drum lines, of which there was only one (or two if you consider Club Dates to be a different line of drums rather than the same drums with a different hardware setup...which is what they were. Same with Standards). A Ludwig 8x12 tom (or any other size) was always the same thing regardless of what outfit it may be included in, or if ordered as a single add on.

It might have been something dealers liked to do...order in a set for the showroom floor and substitute a 20" for a 22", saving a few bucks in the process, on a slight size difference that the average newbie drummer (or the parents thereof) would not likely notice on the outset.

The catalog outfits were offered to make buying easier and add a bit of temptation with the slightly better package price but they didn't necessarily represent the "perfect" combination of drums for anything, they were just sort of the standard combinations that the various companies came up with. There was no "tonal matching" or anything like that. More likely all marketing...here's our cheaper set, here's our small set, here's our bigger set, here's our "everything you can imagine" set. Or you could order whatever other combination of drums you might want...including 13/16/20.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the name Super Beat for the 20/13/16 configuration. It’s a simple and creative solution to address potential confusion about a common yet non-cataloged configuration. Universal terms help and a Google search indicates the title isn’t going anywhere. Seems to be a better label than “Super Classic but w/ a twenty” or an accurate yet potentially boring 20/13/16. The only improvement I see is narrowing the title one or two words.

Since I don’t use a 13” I combined my Champagne Sparkle Super Beat and Downbeat to play a 20/12/16 aka a Superdownbeatclassic.