Plexi madness with an amp I built

Masecar

Reaction score

My New Year's resolution last year was to build a tube amp. Originally it was going to be a Deluxe Reverb, but after some soul searching I really found that I was missing that Marshall kerrang, so I debated building a Lead, or a Bass, or a JTM45... until I found this Ceriatone All Access Plexi kit. It does everything!

And since there aren't too many of these out there, I made this run-through of all the features. It's got tons of Marshall tones in it. Enjoy my mediocre guitar playing!

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Ha ha, I don’t know how I missed this thread. It sounds great. Good job. I suspect the nuances of each switch setting would be lost at a gig… but you’ve got a lot of great Marshall flavours there for sure.

Masecar

Reaction score
Ha ha, I don’t know how I missed this thread. It sounds great. Good job. I suspect the nuances of each switch setting would be lost at a gig… but you’ve got a lot of great Marshall flavours there for sure.
I always find that to be kind of a strange argument - those switches sculpt the tone, and they're not really supposed to be changed at a gig, they're just supposed to give you the sound you're after, which ideally simply makes the crowd think "wow, that sounds great!"

And I think it does! Thanks for watching

Lazmo

Reaction score
Yeah for sure... I didn't imagine them being changed on the fly at a gig, so no argument from me.

And can see how with the various switch combinations you would likely end up with your own favourites, which is certainly a bonus. Some are likely to be better at bedroom volumes and others at gigging with a drummer levels. Happy days.

Masecar

Reaction score
Nice amp!

How tough was it to build?
It was definitely very time consuming, but the process was pretty straightforward, and assembling the turret board wasn't very difficult at all. The amp just requires a LOT of small pieces, and there are tons of very small wires going to and from the tube sockets, turret board, and the switches. Thankfully it worked on the first try, so I didn't even have to do any troubleshooting.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats.

I have a Tweed Deluxe clone and this winter I plan to build the RobRob Deluxe version of the 5E3. It will be my first major electronics project and the first thing I did when I opened this thread was see where you lived, hoping it was Seattle.

Masecar

Reaction score
see where you lived, hoping it was Seattle.
Hope as we both might that I lived in Seattle, I live in central North Carolina. I did drive to Seattle last year, though, and will definitely be returning soon.

Masecar

Reaction score
I have a friend with an electrical engineering background who's going to help me build this without electrocuting myself.
Definitely a smart move. I built some lower-voltage devices last summer before I endeavored to build this amp, but the more research I've done after the fact the more I realize just how lucky I got that I've had zero component failures, and that the amp worked properly the first time. There's so much potential for things to go wrong, and if I decided to build more amps like this I would definitely like a Variac, oscilloscope, and lots of dummy loads.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Definitely a smart move. I built some lower-voltage devices last summer before I endeavored to build this amp, but the more research I've done after the fact the more I realize just how lucky I got that I've had zero component failures, and that the amp worked properly the first time. There's so much potential for things to go wrong, and if I decided to build more amps like this I would definitely like a Variac, oscilloscope, and lots of dummy loads.
I built an amp from a kit several years back. It was a turret board kit to replace the innards of an Epiphone amp. They were insanely popular to mod at the time. Something definitely isn’t right as it sounds like dog mess and I just haven’t had the heart to take it some place to see if they couldn’t see what I did wrong. But in the positive- I didn’t catch my house on fire.

I probably should have taken the steps you did in retrospect!

Lazmo

Reaction score
It’s great you didn’t burn your house down

I’ve been into electronics most of my life… with my first project being a super-regenerative AM radio that I built, on the farm, when I was 10. From that moment, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for a living. The other plus side is that with that little radio, I got to hear a ton of great music, which I would never have heard otherwise. Which was surely a path to playing music.

I was never into kits, but have done heaps of scratch builds… amps, pedals, power supplies, switchers, regulators, chargers, filters, motorcycle stuff too, etc… tube and solid state.

Sort of can’t be bothered these daze… as I’ve worked in electronics and ICT for 45+ years… but it was fun back then.

I was into the AX84 amp building community for a fair while… and had scoped up quite a few different builds, but couldn’t decide in the end.

All good fun… assuming no house fires.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gotta say I dig the wall-o-pedals. So instead of a white board you have velcro board?