header.nohb.html

Ply question on Ludwig 10"

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted the process of rewrapping these in the Builders section. But haven't got an answer on my question on plys. They are converted concert tosm. The 8" is from early -70's and 3-ply (?), but the 10" has a 7 digit #, are thin, have re-rings and sharper edges then the 8". The inside of the drum is painted grey (also the edges) so I cant count the plys. Just wondering if it is a 4-ply?

Reother

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a rogers shell, which were 5 ply. If its from ludwig and the 70s its 3 or 6 ply.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing indicates that it is something else then Ludwig.
The number on my badge tells me it's from 1979. I looked at Ludwigs webpages and found this in the wood shell guide: "Beginning in 1976, the Classic series was made with new molds and a new construction; small (6" and 8") toms were 4-ply and larger drums were 6-ply maple & poplar, with no reinforcement rings. These shells were not only stronger but less expensive to make. The interior was a clear-coated natural finish." So this says that a 10" was 6-ply with no re-ring.
Then in the timeline from 1978: "The 1978 Combo series was made with old 3-ply shells until they were used up; the inside was sprayed with granitone."
Anyone know if you could buy a 10" in the combo series in 1978? The catalogues at drumarchive tells me nothing about it.

Reother

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bjornk said:
The number on my badge tells me it's from 1979. I looked at Ludwigs webpages and found this in the wood shell guide: "Beginning in 1976, the Classic series was made with new molds and a new construction; small (6" and 8") toms were 4-ply and larger drums were 6-ply maple & poplar, with no reinforcement rings. These shells were not only stronger but less expensive to make. The interior was a clear-coated natural finish." So this says that a 10" was 6-ply with no re-ring.
Then in the timeline from 1978: "The 1978 Combo series was made with old 3-ply shells until they were used up; the inside was sprayed with granitone."
Anyone know if you could buy a 10" in the combo series in 1978? The catalogues at drumarchive tells me nothing about it.

On occasion ludwig turned out odd drums. I have a late 70s concert tom (with a B.O badge) that should be a 6 ply but its three. Also ludwig did paint three ply ludwigs with granitone when 3 ply drums were the only shells available.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reother said:
bjornk said:

On occasion ludwig turned out odd drums. I have a late 70s concert tom (with a B.O badge) that should be a 6 ply but its three. Also ludwig did paint three ply ludwigs with granitone when 3 ply drums were the only shells available.
Thanks Reother, seems like it's the same with this tom - 3-ply shell.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reother said:
Those look to be earlier 70s because of the sharp edges on the badges.

The serialnumber on the 8" indicates that it is from -71 and the number on the 10" indicates that it is from -79. As usual things get more confusing as I do some research on my old drums :D . But the main thing is that I'm confident now that the 10" is a 3-ply.