Podcaster: Did You Really Give Away All Your Drum Kits? Stan Lynch: Yes, and I Set One on Fire!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Stan Lynch keeps it real on the "I'd Hit That" drummer podcast -- talking about how he chose Tama ImperialStars, Tom Petty's cruel streak, his "hurtful" exit from the Heartbreakers and the drum kit he burned at the beach. Oh, and the time he tried to attack a Sex Pistol.

rsmittee

Reaction score
Long story short, after playing a concert in town, TP and the Heartbreakers and The Replacements showed up at a gig I was playing. They proceeded to get really drunk, and asked if they could jam for a bit. We sat back and watched them rock out on our gear. Stan approached me afterward and thanked me up and down for the use of my drums, and was just super humble, gracious, and nice about the whole thing. I will forever remain very impressed that this rock star drummer behaved like a regular guy and treated me like an equal.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short, after playing a concert in town, TP and the Heartbreakers and The Replacements showed up at a gig I was playing. They proceeded to get really drunk, and asked if they could jam for a bit. We sat back and watched them rock out on our gear. Stan approached me afterward and thanked me up and down for the use of my drums, and was just super humble, gracious, and nice about the whole thing. I will forever remain very impressed that this rock star drummer behaved like a regular guy and treated me like an equal.
There has to be a great Replacements story somewhere in that night?!

crestiferJ

Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to avoid getting into a political discussion. Search for the "Buffalo shooting" and/or the great replacement theory. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, and I sincerely hope I am. It just struck me.
the replacements were a rock and roll band that were well known for being quite the partiers.

i'm 100% sure there is no reference to the replacement theory or the shooting by this poster or by the band.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
back on topic...

stan is one of the true good guys of the rock and roll business.

and no one has a pocket or swing like he did. love steve ferrone too...but stan's playing on the heartbreakers stuff, and tom's solo stuff...especially mary jane....is some of my favorite rock drumming ever.
I couldn’t believe Tom Petty got rid of him ……..

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to avoid getting into a political discussion. Search for the "Buffalo shooting" and/or the great replacement theory. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, and I sincerely hope I am. It just struck me.
Same here. Just plain awful.

crestiferJ

Reaction score
Stan is one of my favorite drummers. Glad I got to see Tom Petty while he was still there.
one of my big regrets was that one artist i never got a chance to see was tom. had quite a few opportunities but something came up or i missed the show.

last time was in milwaukee when tom was touring with pearl jam. had tickets but then family drama erupted and i wasnt able to get down to summerfest to see them.

crestiferJ

Reaction score
also should say that i just love the i'd hit that podcast.

dave is such a great interviewer and i love how he keeps the focus very little on gear, and mostly on the personal side of being a working drummer.

he's gotten a lot of great musicians to tell some amazing stories on that podcast over the last decade. glad he's back doing them again.