Podcaster: Did You Really Give Away All Your Drum Kits? Stan Lynch: Yes, and I Set One on Fire!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to avoid getting into a political discussion. Search for the "Buffalo shooting" and/or the great replacement theory. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, and I sincerely hope I am. It just struck me.
Uhhhhhh...there was this amazing band in the 80's called The Replacements....you mentioned them in YOUR OP....they toured with TP and were known for drunken high-jinx...

Picture1.png

rsmittee

Reaction score
Uhhhhhh...there was this amazing band in the 80's called The Replacements....you mentioned them in YOUR OP....they toured with TP and were known for drunken high-jinx...

View attachment 560279
Dude, I'm really sorry. I misunderstood, and I should've clarified further before jumping to conclusions. I don't want to distract from the thread further. And the drummer for the Replacements was incredible, especially considering his level of inebriation. Again, apologies.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, I'm really sorry. I misunderstood, and I should've clarified further before jumping to conclusions. I don't want to distract from the thread further. And the drummer for the Replacements was incredible, especially considering his level of inebriation. Again, apologies.
All good.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
also should say that i just love the i'd hit that podcast.

dave is such a great interviewer and i love how he keeps the focus very little on gear, and mostly on the personal side of being a working drummer.
That's good to know. I try to keep a balance between "gear/drum geek stuff" and "life experiences" on my show, and some people have said they wish I focused more on gear, so it's interesting that you say that.

And not to hijack this, but I'd be curious to know (for those of you who watch my show) if you think I should focus more or less on gear and other stuff. I tend to go where the conversation takes us, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Woah, I thought IHT was all done a while ago. First and best of the drummer pods. He has had a few doozies.

I can see why Petty and his braintrust wanted Ferrone. Stan has a great groove, but he does have a great groove. Ferrone can cover more territory fwiw.

Stan has that clave thing going on in his grooves.

crestiferJ

Reaction score
That's good to know. I try to keep a balance between "gear/drum geek stuff" and "life experiences" on my show, and some people have said they wish I focused more on gear, so it's interesting that you say that.

And not to hijack this, but I'd be curious to know (for those of you who watch my show) if you think I should focus more or less on gear and other stuff. I tend to go where the conversation takes us, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
ive really enjoyed your youtube show, john. i think what you do is just great. you just talk to drummer buddies and the conversation goes where it goes. love it.

do you have a podcast version too ? i just have found some of your videos from your facebook page. loved your talk with stan and with steve gorman. those are the most recent ones i watched. love how it's just you hanging out virtually with cool drummers.

crestiferJ

Reaction score
Woah, I thought IHT was all done a while ago. First and best of the drummer pods. He has had a few doozies.

I can see why Petty and his braintrust wanted Ferrone. Stan has a great groove, but he does have a great groove. Ferrone can cover more territory fwiw.

Stan has that clave thing going on in his grooves.
seems like maybe dave has moved or at least setup temporarily in austin. he's had a bunch of folks on recently in austin.

i like when he has other musicians on as well. great podcast.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That would be interesting, I will check it out when I find time.
I was lucky to see Tom P with Mudcrutch.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive really enjoyed your youtube show, john. i think what you do is just great. you just talk to drummer buddies and the conversation goes where it goes. love it.

do you have a podcast version too ? i just have found some of your videos from your facebook page. loved your talk with stan and with steve gorman. those are the most recent ones i watched. love how it's just you hanging out virtually with cool drummers.
Thanks and glad you've enjoyed some of the shows.

Yes, all my shows are available as podcasts https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/john-Apple-live-from-my-drum-room/id1575100168

And it's now the official Modern Drummer Podcast, so you can watch and listen to recent episodes here https://www.moderndrummer.com/category/modern-drummer-multimedia/podcasts/

I license the episodes to MD, so they have exclusivity for 30 days, and then I post them to my YouTube and Podcast platforms. It's confusing, I know, but if you check both of the above links you can navigate your way through it.

Thanks again for watching/listening and for the kind words.

Christopher

Reaction score
Your show is really excellent, John. The guests you have are world class and you guide the interviews very well. Super cool stuff and thank you for doing them!

I would be happy to hear maybe a tiny bit more about gear in some cases. But only if the person is into gear. Maybe open questions like “what do you look for in a snare drum?” Or, “what makes you pick a ride cymbal for x type of music?” Or even, “you played on x record, what made you pick the kit/snare/cymbals for that?”

Not really brand specific topics that can easily turn into a commercials, especially if the drummer has endorsement deals.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great interview. I need to watch John D’s too. I used to love drumming along to that Greatest Hits album when I was kid. Got to see Petty once but it was with Steve Ferrone which is still pretty cool I guess.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both are very different... By giving away you are allowing others to enjoy it, by setting it on fire no one would can play it anymore

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never thought I'd have the chance to see Stan play in person ever again. I bought tickets to see Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs in Tampa over two years ago. After numerous postponements the show finally happened earlier this month. When I learned Stan was going to be sitting in for DK's drummer Matt Laug I was thrilled! (Nothing against Matt) At the same time a small part of me wondered how Stan would pull it off, having to learn the Dirty Knobs material. Well, any curiosity in that vein went out the door with the first song! Stan was on fire the entire night and it appeared he enjoyed every minute of it. The chemistry and friendship between Stan and Mike was evident throughout. They downplayed the significance most of the night, but the energy in the club could not be ignored. Everyone knew what they were getting a chance to see.

I kept my phone in my pocket most of the night, but I had to get a few shots and record a couple songs. At the end of the show Stan came out from behind the kit and sang an acoustic version of the T.P. and the Heartbreakers song "Stories We Could Tell" with Mike. What a night it was. Stan really killed it and I'm happy he got to get out there again, and I'm grateful I had the chance to see and hear it.

Stan expertly pulling off the Charlie Watts technique on "Running Down a Dream":

Attachments

• 20220504_210120.jpg
    20220504_210120.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220504_210127.jpg
    20220504_210127.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220504_230917.jpg
    20220504_230917.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

IMO, minimal gear talk, maximum musical journey, experiences and background. Unless the guest really wants to talk gear, and, other than endorsements, I suspect they really don’t.

PS: Tommy Igoe was your best interview that I’ve seen. It helps to have a natural born vaudevillian as a guest. Gear talk? If there was, I don’t remember it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to avoid getting into a political discussion. Search for the "Buffalo shooting" and/or the great replacement theory. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, and I sincerely hope I am. It just struck me.
You need to try harder.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that interview. Thanks for posting!

MacDaddy

Reaction score

John, the few episodes I've watched of your show have been just great. Relaxed and just a real conversation with some legends. I'd stick with what interests you and go wherever the conversation takes you. I love the gear talk and "inside baseball" stories but it has to be whatever is real for you. You do a great job of it and it is obvious your guests respect you. I've never seen anybody get Gadd to relax and laugh the way you have!

As far as the IHT Podcast goes, IMO I think Dave has always been on the brink of something good but the lack of preparation or concern for the production is really irritating. It takes very little effort these days to capture quality sound and not sound like you're in a public washroom with an iPhone sitting between you to record the conversation. There have been some good moments and some cool guests but it is really hard to listen to. Early on he was also always complaining about whether it was worth his time and if nobody contributed to his patreon he wouldn't keep going. Give some impression that you give a damn about what you're doing and I might consider it. I can also only take so many variations on the "How much coke was in the studio?" question...

Sorry to be so negative but I listen to tons of great sounding podcasts while I'm driving. Then IHT comes on and it is all over the place. There is no point doing the job if you aren't going to do it well. He has the potential, just not the desire