polish/cleaner/protectant spray

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Does anyone use, or have a preferred spray can of polish/cleaner/protectant to clean their drums, and keep them from deteriorating? I’ve been dusting them with a feather duster for years, but I just noticed that they are starting to look second hand. I’d like something to spray onto a soft rag to clean them. Don’t really want to leave a residue, if possible.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use Novus #1 for general cleaning of my drums. I also use high-end microfiber cloths. I found out about the stuff here; works like a charm.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Turtle Wax "wax & Dry" car product spray. It has a small amount of wax, and dries clear without streaks. Adds a protective layer & shine to the shells. I even use it on my Paiste Cymbals as a protective coating. The stuff works great.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Catalano recommended Lemon Pledge for the Ludwig Shadow finishes in a "Ask the Pros" section of Modern Drummer shortly after I bought mine in 1993, that's what I've always used though some here have said not to use it, 25 years of use hasn't seemed to hurt them. I don't clean them much though as they stay in cases between gigs so normally a wipe down with a soft cloth (Old Cotton Tshirt) is all that is needed.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are writing about cleaning wrap, I like using Plexus Plastic Cleaner Polish. As mentioned, Novus 1 I have also used(series of 1-2-3 1 being the less abrasive) but like Plexus better. If a wrap I also follow what/a Pure Carnuba wax(I prefer Maguiars brand). If wrap is older and a little dirty I use a Carnuba w/cleaner wax.

If wood I dust w/Pledge followed by Johnsons Furniture Wax.

Experiment, have fun, and come up with what works for you best.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Laz, any quality guitar polish works great on drumshells.
I happen to use GHS guitar polish or Dunlop formula #65 spray.

Novus
Plexus
Both good as well.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
sure, plenty of choices in "drum polish"
Google can show you multiple options but it's usually more expensive and won't necessarily give better results than whats listed above.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
+1 guitar polish . leaves no oily greasy or filmy residue on the chrome as well. I've had a 4 oz bottle that's lasted many years
It was less than 10 bucks

Latest posts