Poll: Are you a Buddy Rich fan? Yes or No

Are you a fan of Buddy Rich?

• Total voters

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea of how much of the DFO population are BR fans and how many are not. I expect there will be more fans than not, but at the same time I think there are more who are not than expected.

The back story to this can be found on another thread but for now it’s just a poll.

I know that for many of you this is a ridiculous question but maybe we can learn something from it.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
no... it's too complicated an issue.. some may have grown out of him some may just be growing into him...

or the question "when was the last time you actively sought listening to him"
1 year
2 years
25 years
30 years

have to be pretty hardcore to give a flat No.
On the other hand a Yes gives the impression that the feeling is current
LOL

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should add "Currently" "not at present time" and "was for awhile"
yes/no is too cut and dry for someone inactive for 33 years
I think that’s right. I added “used to be” which should cover it.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the summer of 1975 my mother and I flew out to the west coast to visit family. We did all of the typical tourist stuff, Disney Land, Universal...

We went to Knott's Berry Farm. As we went through the gate there was a sign stating that the Buddy Rich Big Band was playing there that day. I had seen Buddy on television many times, I could not pass up a chance to see him live. I found the amphitheater and found a seat. I was in the front row with a great view over the hi-hat.

Did I mention that I was the very first person there? I sat and baked in the sun and waited to see my hero.

Am I a fan?

Yes, yes I am.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no... it's too complicated an issue.. some may have grown out of him some may just be growing into him...

or the question "when was the last time you actively sought listening to him"
1 year
2 years
25 years
30 years

have to be pretty hardcore to give a flat No.
On the other hand a Yes gives the impression that the feeling is current
LOL
Wait it out JDA. Give people a chance to think maybe.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but your choices are too limited. You see, For me and Buddy it’s complicated.

I can’t deny the force he was, informing and inspiring what my favorite drummers would become.

I certainly can’t deny the sheer delight he brought my father, for whom Buddy filled that very short list of entertainers my father would actually want me to stay up and watch on late night TV.

But something about his presentational style always ultimately blocked (Unfortunately for me, I’m sure) my pursuit of studying him very deeply on my own. None of my favorite writers, cartoonists, actors, comedians, performers work in bombast and speed. (Well, does an Aaron Sorkin script count?) I want refinement, subtlety & something that sparks from within me, rather than assaults my face. If I think you come across as having something to prove, then I’m definitely not someone you want to waste time working on.

Really trying to avoid rating him as a human being here.

I’ve absolutely enjoyed vicariously what he meant to so many people on DFO, and I look for suggestions for some of Buddy’s more dumbed-down entry points where I might climb aboard and start deconstructing his technique, not as a patron but as a student.

But I guess for now, that puts me down as a no, not a fan; but a great appreciator (and happy, open listener) to those who are.