Poll: Are you a Buddy Rich fan? Yes or No

Are you a fan of Buddy Rich?

• Total voters

Jay_M

Reaction score
Huge respect for his ability but wouldn't cite him as an influence or listen to him often. Same goes for the more complex fusion drummers and the whole gospel chop thing but I do prefer Buddy over that.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
After reading every opinion, every post and every reply in this topic it confirms once again something I've already known for a long time.

That it's always the bitter bedroom hacks who never acknowledge Buddy's greatness, and it's more than evident who those guys are in the 10 pages of this topic and in many other Buddy Rich threads.

LOL.
Well I’ve never been called a ‘bitter bedroom hack’ before but if that what it takes to not be a fan of BR then I’ll just have to wear it.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I’ve never been called a ‘bitter bedroom hack’ before but if that what it takes to not be a fan of BR then I’ll just have to wear it.
And Steven didn't call you one for not being a BR fan. Acknowledging the greatness of something and being a fan of that thing are two entirely separate things... aren't they?

Isn't the difference about the ability to discern and appreciate things outside one's personal tastes and preferences or the inability to do so? At least, that's what I took from Steven's post.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
And Steven didn't call you one for not being a BR fan. Acknowledging the greatness of something and being a fan of that thing are two entirely separate things... aren't they?

Isn't the difference about the ability to discern and appreciate things outside one's personal tastes and preferences or the inability to do so? At least, that's what I took from Steven's post.
Thank you but I’m fine with the description. This whole thing was about being a ‘fan’ or at least I thought it was. I’m not a fan. Do I think he was an amazing drummer? Of course that’s undeniable. No argument. Loved his swing era stuff with Dorsey and Artie Shaw when I was kid but my tastes changed. Did I find the description of non BR fans offensive. Yep. But many of us march to different drummers.

britdrummer

Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea of how much of the DFO population are BR fans and how many are not. I expect there will be more fans than not, but at the same time I think there are more who are not than expected.

The back story to this can be found on another thread but for now it’s just a poll.

I know that for many of you this is a ridiculous question but maybe we can learn something from it.
I usually think asking who is the "greatest" or "best" in any field is silly. It is like asking what is the greatest color? People will have preferences although we can usually acknowledge who should be included among the "best" without having a single standout. I have been a drummer for six decades and have been exposed to, and admired, countless numbers of incredible drummers. I was lucky enough to see Buddy play live twice. He is the only person who has made me rethink that there might indeed be a "best". Whether or not you cared for Big Band style of music (I didn't) his mastery of the craft wasn't just brilliant, it was otherwordly. To this day I feel so fortunate to have those two opportunities.

GregR

Reaction score
Regarding him being demanding and tough on the musicians in his band, he talks in interviews about how tough and demanding some of the early band leaders were that he played for - especially Tommy Dorsey. He developed in that type of environment.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding him being demanding and tough on the musicians in his band, he talks in interviews about how tough and demanding some of the early band leaders were that he played for - especially Tommy Dorsey. He developed in that type of environment.
For sure, and the world in general was tough and demanding back then, so Buddies temperament was somewhat typical for his time and it wouldn’t have stood out very much like it would today.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Buddy was insanely talented. He managed the show business side of it well. But influential? Maybe. Certainly not groundbreaking. He did what others before him did better than most. And milked the carcass of a dying genre as it limped along between the nostalgia boom well past it's sunset years. The whiplash crowd gets upset, ironically at people not agreeing with their opinion, and criticism of his decent human being skills. You might could mount many of the same arguments in defense of Captain Beefheart. A gig that people literally plotted to escape. Believe it or not it is possible to fire someone from a competitive gig without being an jerk about it. But what he brought to the table only gets him fame while he was here doing it. Now that he's gone... Elvis wouldn't be remembered as the King of Rock n Roll if we only had his later years and not his initial impact. But this thread is really about bringing back the glove.

DrummerMatt

Reaction score
Great drummer, but his arrogance about technique was bullshit. Playing drums is certainly a skill, but there is more than one way to do it.

TokiDrum

Reaction score
I agree as I also am not really a fan of Buddy Rich’s playing. I’ve never understood those who say he was the greatest drummer in history without any context. The greatest drummer in history within the scope of what? Relative to who?

Without context, I can posit that Dave Weckl is a better drummer than Buddy Rich ever was. Weckl’s playing has more intricacy and is technically more sophisticated than anything I’ve ever seen Buddy Rich play. Buddy was a pounder when it came right down to it. His solos without the band were just plain boring. Ok for a little while, but nothing I would pay money for, or sit and watch for hours without his band. That said, within the context of “Big Band Swing”, perhaps he was the greatest for his time, don’t know. But I absolutely know neither he nor Weckl is the greatest drummer of all time.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree as I also am not really a fan of Buddy Rich’s playing. I’ve never understood those who say he was the greatest drummer in history without any context. The greatest drummer in history within the scope of what? Relative to who?

Without context, I can posit that Dave Weckl is a better drummer than Buddy Rich ever was. Weckl’s playing has more intricacy and is technically more sophisticated than anything I’ve ever seen Buddy Rich play. Buddy was a pounder when it came right down to it. His solos without the band were just plain boring. Ok for a little while, but nothing I would pay money for, or sit and watch for hours without his band. That said, within the context of “Big Band Swing”, perhaps he was at the greatest for his time, don’t know. But I do absolutely know neither he nor Weckl is the greatest drummer of all time.
Welcome to the forums!

I’ll make one more attempt at my point of Buddy being the greatest.

If you were to ask the average joe if they know who Dave Weckyl is, 3.1% would say yes. Ask them who Buddy was and it would jump to 89.3%. Buddy lived till 69 years old, and played for 67 of them. He played hard, all in, all his life to the point he couldn’t sit on the throne without help in his last years. He was a musician, he was Hollywood, he was a bad boy, a playboy and he was a force on stage. His solos made you stop and go woh! He drove the bus hard. He played with a broken leg, he did a two BD solo, just the 2 bass drums (!!!) that would knock your socks off. He has a left hand faster than a hummingbirds wing. He packed every top jazz club and venue from here to Japan and back throughout his career and his Johnny Carson gigs were huge ratings draws. He brought the drums to center stage, up front and was a top 3(?) big band leader. He affected every drummer in some way, even if many won’t admit it.

Greatness is the whole package and Buddy had that in spades. Weckyl is a great drummer, but his accomplishments are nowhere close to Buddies and never will be. I think if you study the man, the myth and the legend, you will become a fan.

Rant over! :lol:

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually think asking who is the "greatest" or "best" in any field is silly. It is like asking what is the greatest color? People will have preferences although we can usually acknowledge who should be included among the "best" without having a single standout. I have been a drummer for six decades and have been exposed to, and admired, countless numbers of incredible drummers. I was lucky enough to see Buddy play live twice. He is the only person who has made me rethink that there might indeed be a "best". Whether or not you cared for Big Band style of music (I didn't) his mastery of the craft wasn't just brilliant, it was otherwordly. To this day I feel so fortunate to have those two opportunities.
Actually, there is a greatest color! :cool:

1606247917850.png

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buddy was insanely talented. He managed the show business side of it well. But influential? Maybe. Certainly not groundbreaking. He did what others before him did better than most. And milked the carcass of a dying genre as it limped along between the nostalgia boom well past it's sunset years. The whiplash crowd gets upset, ironically at people not agreeing with their opinion, and criticism of his decent human being skills. You might could mount many of the same arguments in defense of Captain Beefheart. A gig that people literally plotted to escape. Believe it or not it is possible to fire someone from a competitive gig without being an jerk about it. But what he brought to the table only gets him fame while he was here doing it. Now that he's gone... Elvis wouldn't be remembered as the King of Rock n Roll if we only had his later years and not his initial impact. But this thread is really about bringing back the glove.
I recall a conversation with a former teacher who told me that, in his time, Buddy may have been the most influential drummer who ever played. He was certainly the most well known and admired. I suggested that maybe Steve Gadd had surpassed Buddy in terms of influence on the art. He acknowledged Gadd's influence, but, didn't think so. Groundbreaking? Who played like Buddy before Buddy?

Last edited:

TokiDrum

Reaction score
Thank you!

I certainly appreciate the admiration you have for Buddy, I do. Within the context of what you find important in a player, Buddy perhaps was/is the greatest drummer. My point that perhaps I made badly is the context is left to the individual when not clearly stated. What I find important in a player is different. It is not how well the musician is known, nor is it a bass drum solo, or a fast left hand, it is the musicality of the performance. Weckl will never play swing as well as Buddy. On the other hand, Buddy could not play the fusion as well as Weckl. I learned a long time ago there are styles I will never play as well as someone who plays that particular style every day. I can play a country tune, but it will not sound as good as someone whose entire focus is country. But who is the better drummer... depends on the context:)

I said I was not really a fan. I didn't say I couldn't appreciate the talent and accomplishments.

Thanks again for the welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Best” was never mentioned in the OP.