Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Both

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I will be honest, the keystone is the original one and has mojo but the B/O sometimes surprises me! I saw a B/O on a silver sparkle kit and I was sold. Same on natural maple kits, looks amazing!

D0B63925-AB1C-4067-B654-9A6F44FBFEF6.jpeg

5A4A482B-0C52-448F-AFE7-94FC5292E779.jpeg

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I kind of chuckle at the differences between my first impressions of each badge.

I grew up in a house knowing Ludwig by the Keystone badge on my Dad's 1968 Acrolite. As a marching snare drummer in the VFW and concert snare player in our local concert band, he bought it to have a practice snare at home.

I'm one year younger than that drum, and I played on it all the time as a kid (Thank you, Dad). In fact, there's a picture of me drumming on it, sticks ablur, age two.

By the time I see the Blue/Olive badge, I'm in school. So for a long time in my mind, Keystone represents an adult musician's instrument. B/O is what you find on a student's drum in a middle school band room.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are not too many companies (drums or otherwise) I can think of that have kept two distinct logos going for such a long period of time.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Let me put on my Don Brewer hair..hat..hair..hat"..

keystone evidently

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keystone WFL's

B/O clear int's no later than 72 .

B/O Supraphonics

Keystone Acrolites

Either one

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oi, Jazzhead! What kind of rinky-dink poll is this where I can’t chose both?

My first kit were 60’s Keystones, the perfect vibe for that era.

My second kit, Vistalites, were B/O, again, perfect for the era (although I hated the logo when I got the kit).

Today I have Classic Maples with the forcefully cool (apocryphal?) melted trumpet keystones.

But the gravitational pull of nostalgia, never seen but always felt, tugs me towards both poll entries at once.

I cannot decide, nor should I be expected to.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oi, Jazzhead! What kind of rinky-dink poll is this where I can’t chose both?

My first kit were 60’s Keystones, the perfect vibe for that era.

My second kit, Vistalites, were B/O, again, perfect for the era (although I hated the logo when I got the kit).

Today I have Classic Maples with the forcefully cool (apocryphal?) melted trumpet keystones.

But the gravitational pull of nostalgia, never seen but always felt, tugs me towards both poll entries at once.

I cannot decide, nor should I be expected to.
Let me add “both” for you.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first kit was a Keystone early-ish 60s.
To this day, I'm not a fan of the bizarre way they tucked the wrap into the shell layup that formed the Ludwig Bump.
Give me an early 70s clear Maple innerds B/O any day of the week.
Love the clean buildout ... and the sound ain't bad at all.

I will add ... when the B/O first appeared, I was not a fan of the look.
It grew on me with the passage of time ... and with the appreciation of shell buildouts.

john14

Reaction score
I have the best of both worlds - 2013 FAB in OBP with Keystone badges and FAB 2014 in Butcher Block with Blue/Olive badges! The kit I have set up is the Butcher Block with OBP keystone badge snare! The catalogue I grew up with was the '71 - my favourite kit was the Downbeat in Sky Blue Pearl - and it was the B/O badges...

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the B/O badge was Ludwig's attempt at a more modern image. They're both iconic at this point. Although, the newer "thick" keystone badge is the classiest of all, IMO, especially when it has a darkened patina.