• Both

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '73 Vistalite kit had blue/olive badges and I never liked them as much as the keystones. My '90 Classic kit (below) has the large keystone badges, which I prefer to the blue/olive badges, but not to the small keystones on my Legacy Maples.

Gassers_San-Pedro_S.jpg

WLVN

Reaction score
My first snare drum was a 1966 Acrolite with the keystone. My first drum set was a 1972 pointy blue-olive. I was amazed at how those two colors seemingly went with all the finishes. I won't ask to add the distinction between pointy and rounded blue-olive to the poll.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '73 Vistalite kit had blue/olive badges and I never liked them as much as the keystones. My '90 Classic kit (below) has the large keystone badges, which I prefer to the blue/olive badges, but not to the small keystones on my Legacy Maples.

View attachment 466500
Nice kit! And you have the best hat in the band.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have 2 double bass Ludwig kits?
Yes. The black Classic kit (purchased in 1990) is 13/14/16/18/26/26 with a custom snare. It's currently in the closet in my drum room because I like the sound of my Legacy Maples much more and they're much easier to record. But when you're on stage in a loud experimental/fusion band (as I was between '88 and '95) nothing can beat the big black 6-ply Classics!

I even owned a third double-bass Ludwig kit (Vistalites with a bunch of toms) when I was on the road between '73 and '77. I also owned a fourth double-bass kit (a mid '80s-vintage Gretsch USA), and even my kit while growing up was a double-bass kit (an E.W.Kent/Ludwig mashup that became double-bass in 1969).

Myk

Reaction score
20190728_171543.jpg
20191223_113721.jpg

I used to have a beautiful condition '71' black panther kit b/o badge without numbers but the original owner scribed his sin number on all badges always bothered me then I found this kit and sold them.

Love the Keystone and prefer the pointy B/O, I remember I was surprised how small the b/o badge was. Very cool

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now when I say “both” brothers and sisters, I do not mean nor do I approve of this Supralite hybrid, but somewhere out there a 12 year old is getting his or her first real drum and behold! Nascent nostalgia!

94DC4B80-B81A-4770-9B59-A34ABC3D2C16.jpeg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I’m an oddball, but my favorite Ludwigs are right around 1970 when they switched to the B-O badge. Due to some of my favorite drums having been from the early 70s, I am always more interested in those than the 60s drums. I can name 4 or 5 that I wish I had never parted with.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully you are talking vintage and not modern! I have one B/O LM402 and a 14x14 FT. I have probably 8 vintage KB snares + KB Super Classic and Jazzete kits.....

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Say what you will, but the new ones be bold....
I agree, I think it's the better looking of the keystone variants... it just seems more 'substantial' then the thin keystone.

... My '90 Classic kit (below) has the large keystone badges, which I prefer to the blue/olive badges, but not to the small keystones on my Legacy Maples.

View attachment 466500
Those are 26" kicks?

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I agree, I think it's the better looking of the keystone variants... it just seems more 'substantial' then the thin keystone.

Those are 26" kicks?
I have both but I actually really like the blue olive much better-One of my favorite badges of all time behind the radio king cloud.
0C97F16B-0683-4E73-9092-EABEF847FFC5.jpeg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have both but I actually really like the blue olive much better-One of my favorite badges of all time behind the radio king cloud. View attachment 466878
That's a great image of your Coliseum, I'm digging the dark reflections on the chrome as it's providing very nice contrast to the white Cortex.
I've got a natural maple version, but you've got the Twin Channel D.C. hoops I always wanted on that drum.

Most of my drums have the B/O badge (I have pointy and round corner variants)... The only exception is the hammered BZ with a Keystone variant just before the Chicago factory was relocated to N.C.
I think the drum looks great, but the badge, meh... not so much. I think it has a bit a cheap printing look to it.

Ludwig552KY_048_Sml.jpg

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Those are 26" kicks?
Yup — 16x26.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I like both the small keystone badges and the B/O badge equally. When I started playing drums in 1982, all the Ludwig sets I saw had B/O badges. I got a used 70's Gretsch set for my first set in 1983 and the snare is a 1966 supra. I had never seen a Ludwig like this before and I grew to love the keystone badge the more I got into Ludwig drums and the history. I think the small brass keystone badge that Ludwig uses now looks great. It was not available when I ordered my classic maple set in 2012 so I
went B/O all the way around including the canister.

BASS DRUM.jpg

Canister.jpg