Poll: What Size Bass Drum do you Prefer?

What size (diameter) Kick drum do you feel most comfotable playing?

• Smaller than 18"

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 18"

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • 20"

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • 22"

Votes: 73 39.0%
  • 24"

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • Bigger than 24"

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
My first 2 kits, MIJ stencil and Slingerland, were both 20” and I never really wanted anything else. But they became hard to come by so I settled for 22” on new kits I bought. I currently have only 1 20”, a Yamaha RC 20x16. I have 3 22s, 14,16 and 18 depths. I wouldn’t mind swapping the RC for the same size MCA though.

I think I like 20s because I’m short. Tom’s are too high and the 22x18 is a pain to haul around.

JH

Ringo prefered the 20" size for the same reason of reaching the tom. He also said he was more visible behind the 20. I'm short, like you and Ringo, and have a 20" bass drum for the same reasons. I bought an 18x20 that I had cut down to a 16" depth. If it would have had more lug clearance, I would have had it cut to a 15.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best sounding bass I've ever had was an 18 inch poplar and could even play it without muffling.
I'm currently playing a special order tama star walnut 20 inch bass drum that I ordered the deepest shell they make, 18 inches deep.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I think I have always been a bass drum-aholic haha!
I love ALL sizes of bass drums. I've played and enjoyed 16's-28's.
MAINLY, I use a 26 in varying depths, but I own a 14x20, & a few 24's in different depths also.

I haven't EVER owned a 22 though, which may be unusual as the "standard" size on kits for ages was 22".
I've played plenty of 22's, just haven't owned one.

Masecar

Reaction score
My favorite kick is my 22x16 Gretsch. If I could only play one kick for the rest of my life, it would be that one.

But I have several other sizes, and I like them a lot also.

Derrick

Reaction score
Ive had 24's and 26's, they sound good and have a apecial vibe but terribly impractical for anything outside the house. Drum heads for 24's and 26's are hard to find and expensive!
Not sure why you'd say that. You can get these heads at Guitar Center or any of the other big box stores or on line from a plethora of sources. We rock a 24" kit everywhere we play with no issues. It really just depends on your style of music and the venues that you play.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd say that. You can get these heads at Guitar Center or any of the other big box stores or on line from a plethora of sources. We rock a 24" kit everywhere we play with no issues. It really just depends on your style of music and the venues that you play.
I’ve never had more than one 26” head option available in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash if they even had one

Derrick

Reaction score
Funny to me that the 20" is so popular in the poll here...
I think a lot of this is linked to the same trend you see in guitar amps lately... a lot of the millennials and Gen Z want small amps they can take on an Uber ride to the show, or something they can't be troubled too much to lift. Old folks are also very practical. It used to be that "practical" wasn't considered much for rock unless you were getting up there in age, but now it is front and center.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Here in Canada we don't have near the amount of big box stores you guys do down south. And if I order online I'm looking at import fees, or a ridiculous wait time.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple question. What size Bass drum do you prefer?

I ask because for the past few months I have been playing a 20". My first 20" BD by the way... and I really like it.

My other kits are 22" and I, just today, pulled down the 20" Slingerland and set up the 22" Pearl.

Wow! it feels huge. I'll keep it set up for a few weeks and see how this evolves.

So what it your favorite?

View attachment 516963
so far 22"x 16" is the largest that will fit into the backseat of my car..

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think a lot of this is linked to the same trend you see in guitar amps lately... a lot of the millennials and Gen Z want small amps they can take on an Uber ride to the show, or something they can't be troubled too much to lift. Old folks are also very practical. It used to be that "practical" wasn't considered much for rock unless you were getting up there in age, but now it is front and center.
I get the amps thing... I always thought that amps were too big! My goal was always to play just loud enough to energize the air in the room, but not so loud to make folks run for the exits or feel bad that they forgot to bring hearing protection. I also never liked hitting the drums so hard to keep up because it just feels unmusical to me. Guitar players (and bass players too) would often say that high volume was a necessary evil because they needed to turn up to get a good tone. Those folks nearly always had really big amps though and it seemed ridicules to me that these folks would have these giant amps that don't sound good unless they're turned up really loud. Glad to hear that more folks these days get all of this. Some of the best sounding guitar tones that I've heard were from players who used small combo amps. I don't ever remember a situation where I thought, "that guitarist would sure sound a lot better with a bigger amp." I think that folks just wanted to believe that they were playing stadiums when they were actually playing at little bars and using gear that was totally inappropriate for the task... not to mention much more of a PIA to move.

Last edited:

Derrick

Reaction score
Well, I guess it depends on your experiences and style of music. I use amps that fit the drummer because drums set the stage volume. I play in rock bands with an energetic drummers who often use bigger drum sets. A small combo is not heard on stage in most of these cases, and many combos sound to wimpy for that style of music. Imagine Hendrix playing Machine Gun through a Delux Reverb combo amp at the Filmore - it could be done, but... Most guitar players hate simply relying on monitor volume for their guitar, or the venue may not be very well equipped for properly providing that. People who play in cover bands, or more tame styles don't see that or care because it doesn't effect them.

Last edited:

kzac

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. If I had my druthers and a good mic setup, I would always opt for an 18 or 20 in bass because it gives you more tom position choices.
Without microphones, you need a 22 or 24 to get bass sounds to eek out over guitar amplifiers (the things with knobs which they keep rotating toward 10)...

The problem with large bass drums is they limit your tom placement.
I was hoping that one day they would created a remote bass pedal which allowed the bass drum to be moved to the side, above or behind, so tom height and placement could be almost unlimited.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Depends on the music I'm playing. Rock, 24. Everything else 22. Not a fan of smaller but I have a few.