Poll: What Size Bass Drum do you Prefer?

What size (diameter) Kick drum do you feel most comfotable playing?

• Smaller than 18"

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 18"

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • 20"

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • 22"

Votes: 73 39.0%
  • 24"

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • Bigger than 24"

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14". This allows me to switch heads between the snare and the bass for new and interesting sounds, without spending a lot of money.
And the toms are all 14’s as well of course...?? 14 x 6,8,9,10,12,13,14,16 etc deep.....!!!
Would the cymbals go 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22.....per chance....;)
bt

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back on track.....again what “I” prefer is dictated by what the music needs....hence having a bunch of bd’s!!!! Different sizes and makes...
However there are two that are the best “all rounders”....one (or both as it is a double bd kit) is a 14x20 Ludwig, and the other is a 12x22 converted Slingerland marching bd. Both these can cover anything asked of them, however I will give the 14x20 Ludwig the edge for my preferred all round bd if needs be....and NOT the other 14x20’s btw....too specialized but that’s real good and why we get ‘em.
bt

aindiparse

Reaction score
I've used 16", 20" 22" and 24" over the years. They have all had their good and bad features, depending on the musical situation. We are in lock down at the moment and the kit that I've set up to practice on has a 16" bass drum, and I'm really enjoying playing it. Having said that, to me the most versatile size is a 22". Also, one brand 22" could be nothing like another brand 22". My current go to 22" is a Pearl, and it's the best sounding and feeling bass drum I've ever played. One of my past 22" bass drums always sounded like a door slamming, no matter how I tuned it. I had a Premier 20" in the 70's and it was amazing. I had another Premier 20" in the 90's, and it was useless. I think it all depends on what your are going to use it for and how you hear the sound.

gra7

Reaction score
While I love the thrill of playing 14x24 inch bass drums, I honestly prefer to play 14x22. I also like 12x18, 10x18 and 8x18 as well.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Asking me "What bass size is your favorite?" feels like asking me "Which key on the piano is your favorite?"
I like all of them. I have 16x12 through 28x14, and very few deeper than that simply because most are pre-'80. I prefer stupidly large, because I am as well, and have no trouble reaching toms (with a 26" or 28", the rack tom/s is/are on a stand). If I'm just really looking for a punchy thing? Rather than throw $50 heads at it, reinvent the wheel with how I tune, and ask a drum to do something it might not be good at, it's just easier to swap it out.

If I gigged or had less room I wouldn't be so lucky. But if I gigged? Wasn't it a famous guitarist who, when asked which was his favorite guitar, answered "The one that matches my belt and shoes!". Seems as good an answer as any. Only other drummers care what drummers play, and sound reinforcement has gotten very good.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a 18 and a 22. I used the 18 alot until recently, I've gotten to where I just prefer the 22 and it's not really that much more to haul and set up and doesn't really take up that much more room on stage.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, I guess it depends on your experiences and style of music. I use amps that fit the drummer because drums set the stage volume. I play in rock bands with an energetic drummers who often use bigger drum sets. A small combo is not heard on stage in most of these cases, and many combos sound to wimpy for that style of music. Imagine Hendrix playing Machine Gun through a Delux Reverb combo amp at the Filmore - it could be done, but... Most guitar players hate simply relying on monitor volume for their guitar, or the venue may not be very well equipped for properly providing that. People who play in cover bands, or more tame styles don't see that or care because it doesn't effect them.
Well, first of all the Filmore was of course a larger venue. Most of the time, I'm seeing music in smaller venues and then all too often bands have acted like they were playing some really big venue, brought their giant gear to the place and played much louder than necessary to get their music across. Secondly, I have seen folks play in bigger venues even with small amps and get a great tone. There are smaller guitar amps which have plenty of guts and any volume that they don't have can be adjusted in the mix (amps are pretty much always miced, no?). What you're talking about as far as amps being the monitors may have once been the case, but these days with a good PA setup and folks who know how to run it, there isn't any issue with monitoring and without a super loud amps on stage, it's easier to balance everything so that everyone on the stage can get a good mix and thus play their best.

Another factor too is important, in that particularly if it's a smaller room with a smaller stage, if amp volumes are too loud then they bleed through vocal mics. What can end up happening then is that the vocals end up not being loud enough in the mix, vocal mics get turned up a bit to compensate and then the ratio of vocal in the mix never really changes as the additional gain on the vocal mics just ends up turning up the guitars just as much as the vocals.

Sure, big amps have been a kind of tradition for rock and roll, but I don't see it as being anything like the best practice. Too many folks are loosing their hearing and too many shows have really muddy sound. How many shows have you been to where you really can't hear the lyrics of the songs? For me that's been a lot... I guess that I've always cared more about the quality of the sound than image that's being projected by the band onstage. I get that other's may feel differently though. For some folks though, music is more about the "show" than the actual sound of the music...

Last edited:

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I've always had 22" kits. I had one 24" and one 20". Absolutely hated the 24", and loved the 20". They both sounded good, but physically setting up the drums was much more comfortable with the 20", and the 24" never got comfortable. Among the three, the 20" sounded better, and felt better to play.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
All of them are my favorite. I like the traditional 14” depth in any size, but 16” is also fine. My parameters are 18 on the small end, and 24 for the max. Anything over or under is either too small or too big.

Also, I don’t really feel like bigger bass drums of 14” depth are all that loud. I should be able to take a 24 bass drum to a club and make it work.

Last edited: