Poll: Which standard sparkle finish on vintage drums is your favorite?

Poll: Which standard Sparkle finish is your favorite?

• Blue Sparkle

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Red Sparkle

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Silver Sparkle

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Gold Sparkle

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Green Sparkle

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Burgundy Sparkle

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Champagne Sparkle

Votes: 36 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know you might not be into sparkle finishes but I am pretty sure you like 1 of them the most. Please note these are Standard sparkle finishes that came on most vintage drums, not those unique sparkle finishes that are manufacturer specific.
I’ll be honest, I cannot decide...
Note: The black sparkle one is tricky, Gretsch has the anniversary sparkle, Ludwig has the galaxy sparkle so I didn’t include it.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Silver sparkle is by far my favorite on your list. However, I don't like how it tends to turn to more of a ginger ale sparkle over time on vintage drums.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Silver sparkle is by far my favorite on your list. However, I don't like how it tends to turn to more of a ginger ale sparkle over time on vintage drums.
I don’t like it either but I once saw a ginger aled silver sparkle finish and it looked so beautiful, it was like another finish...if it retains some of its sparkles then it still looks nice but if it turns cloudy then no...

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I voted Silver Sparkle because you did not have my first two choices listed .
Black Sparkle and White Sparkle .
I far prefer lacquer sparkle finishes to wraps .

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new wraps don’t ginger ale like the old ones did .

Skeet6

Reaction score
Some turn a grey-pewter color, like my 1963 Gretsch. I like that better than the ginger ale look.

Mike B

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I voted Silver Sparkle because you did not have my first two choices listed .
Black Sparkle and White Sparkle .
I far prefer lacquer sparkle finishes to wraps .
Yup I mentioned in my post that black sparkle wasn’t really the same or very similar Looking between manufacturers and they didn’t call it black sparkle either, and white sparkle? I have never seen a vintage Ludwig Gretsch Slingerland or anything else in white sparkle...this thread is more towards vintage drums otherwise over the years Yamaha has had any sparkle finish you can think of.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool question... before I cast my vote, may I ask your specific options between the Bermuda Sand and Champigan sparkel? Many blur those two together....

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sparkles are my favorite finish.
I loved an aged silver sparkle - but not all of them age evenly. Ludwig came out with a great-looking simulation of an aged silver sparkle years ago, with the introduction of the Legacy Mahogany line - it was called "Nickel Sparkle". It looked fantastic. It's discontinued now... I wonder why.
Vintage champagne sparkle is the bee's knees. I haven't seen an accurate reproduction yet.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool question... before I cast my vote, may I ask your specific options between the Bermuda Sand and Champigan sparkel? Many blur those two together....
The question is about the standard sparkle finishes offered on vintage drums. Bermuda sand only came on modern DW kits, correct me if I am wrong.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slingerland sparkling white pearl pic . You don’t see a ton of Slingerland drums in this finish but it was a regular finish.
Yea but I don’t think this was a standard sparkle finish across all manufacturers back in the day. I could also include Slingerland’s purple sparkle but again that’s not something that was offered on all brands. This is more for standard common sparkle finishes.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Honestly, with the exception of the green, I like them all, so it's hard to choose. If I was buying, I guess my vote would go to the champagne sparkle.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Champagne sparkle is my favorite vintage sparkle finish by a wide margin, silver sparkle would be number two. I also really like red sparkle, but for some weird reason I've never owned a kit in that finish.

1593841263237.png

My favorite modern finish is broken glass/silver glass.

Last edited:

Latest posts