Poll: Which standard sparkle finish on vintage drums is your favorite?

Poll: Which standard Sparkle finish is your favorite?

• Blue Sparkle

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Red Sparkle

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Silver Sparkle

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Gold Sparkle

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Green Sparkle

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Burgundy Sparkle

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Champagne Sparkle

Votes: 36 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How can you have a poll about vintage sparkle finishes and not include Gretsch tangerine?
Because tangerine was offered on Gretsch, I didn’t include Slingerland’s purple either..this is about more of the standard sparkle finishes across all brands.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted champagne, but I really love orange and black sparkle kits as well.

jaymandude

Reaction score
No clear favorite, but gold and green are nice. So are burgundy and silver. For some reason champagne is not in the top 4, probably 5th, tied with tangerine. Then probably red and slingerland's purple

hsosdrum

Reaction score
My favorite sparkle is the newer white glitter I've seen on DW and Ludwig kits, but my favorite 'classic' sparkle is silver, which is what I voted for.

deegeebee

Reaction score
ALL THE SPARKLES!
20200516_094505.jpg

Voted burgundy even though I don't own any, something classy about it to my eye. Champagne and silver are close seconds on classiness. Red is sexy as hell.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first kit was champagne and while I love itthis week I voted gold. My tastes on this literally change week by week.

I like most sparkles except green and red.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My mid 60's Rogers was Blue Sparkle so dear to my heart. I don't remember Burgundy in those days but a nice color. We had Gold Ludwig marching drums but gold tends to fade over time.

sherm

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...another reason I voted gold is I want to eventually get a champagne kit and it’s getting so popular a vintage wrap I want to drive the value down.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
84 votes so far! If you haven’t voted already go ahead I will view the results by end of this weekend although I put the poll closing date too far (July 17). I haven’t voted yet but I think I know which finish got the most votes.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I voted blue because, well, it's my favorite. My main kit for decades was blue sparkle and I never got tired of it.

But I confess to having a warm spot in my heart for silver. That was the color of my teacher's set, and to this day I consider it a mature choice. There's a certain dignity in silver sparkle. Today I might even choose it over blue. it's more sedate.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I have a red sparkle Sonor, a silver sparkle Gretsch, and a black sparkle Slingerland. I love ‘em all...BUT...
If I ever happened upon a 24, 13, 16, 18 Ludwig kit in burgundy sparkle, I’d wind up in the hospital, either from my heart stopping or my wrist breaking from whipping out my wallet so fast.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One day I’ll find a nice silver sparkle Gretsch kit, probably 12/14/20 and either USA or Broadkaster. And that’ll be my next and last Gretsch kit. But that’ll be after we’ve gotten through the college bills.