Votes: 21 43.8%
  • I would Not

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All,
I was able to track down my first kit, I still can’t believe I found it. This is the kit that got me so happy when I got it in my early teens, still have its 6”x4” pictures on my wall.
The kit is a 1969-1972 Pearl Thunder-king 20/16/13/12 in red glass glitter with slight discoloration on toms but structurally good. As you may know, it is not a real collectible drum but it has sentimental value for me.
The owner wants 1.5-2 times its price in the US, the kit is not in the US. He wants about $800-900 for the 4-piece and $300 for the steel deluxe snare which was my own snare with the kit.
I may be able to talk it down to $700 for the bass and toms and $250 for the snare.

Do you think I should go for it? Would you if you were me?

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive had several boomerang kits land back in my mitts,some ive kept some ive let go back.
But,ive never paid more than what I bought them for.
If ya want it and have the jack for it,go for it!
Good luck!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All,
I was able to track down my first kit, I still don’t believe I found it. This is the kit that got me so happy when I got it in my early teens, still have its 6”x4” pictures on my wall.
The kit is a 1969-1972 Pearl Thunder-king 20/16/13/12 in red glass glitter with slight discoloration on toms but structurally good. As you may know, it is not a real collectible drum but it has sentimental value for me.
The owner wants 1.5-2 times its price in the US, the kit is not in the US. He wants about $800-900 for the 4-piece and $300 for the steel deluxe snare which was my own snare with the kit.
I may be able to talk it down to $700 for the bass and toms and $250 for the snare.

Do you think I should go for it? Would you if you were me?
I don't think anyone here can answer your question except for you, and it depends how much sentimental value the kit has for you. I personally doubt that my feelings for a kit could make me want to spend a lot of money to have it again. It is a tough call to make, though. I'd also have no way of knowing for sure if it was the same kit I first played.

It really is up to you.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ive had several boomerang kits land back in my mitts,some ive kept some ive let go back.
But,ive never paid more than what I bought them for.
If ya want it and have the jack for it,go for it!
Good luck!
I sold the kit 18 years ago, there is no way I can buy it at the same price. The prices of vintage kits in other parts of the world are higher because they are harder to find. You see a 60’s Ludwig one in a million. If I take the same price I bought/sold the kit and factor in inflation and dollar value, it is still higher but that’s because it’s a hard to find kit over there, they take that into account as well. Same kit here would probably go for $500.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to play it or is it going to sit in a corner? If I were to find my first kit, it would cool to have, but it would sit in the corner and collect dust due to my other drums being of much higher quality.
While a fun thought, no way I would pull that trigger for me. Something else to consider...

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it's not 'the' exact kit you owned why bother? If not, I'd say let it stay a warm and inspiring memory.
Use the money toward some other piece of inspiring gear like an engraved snare to hang on to forever or possibly make it an heirloom to pass down line.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you going to play it or is it going to sit in a corner? If I were to find my first kit, it would cool to have, but it would sit in the corner and collect dust due to my other drums being of much higher quality.
While a fun thought, no way I would pull that trigger for me. Something else to consider...
Oh no I will definitely play it, I only have 1 other kit which is a 70’s Premier. I just wanted to know other people’s perspective on this. Some people don’t care about their first kits and some say theirs was not sth they would play it today so why bother looking for it or paying for it.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dude, if you have the money to do it (without it being any sort of hardship), and the sentiment is that strong, then I say go for it.

If you do, please share pics!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did - my Premier bop set bought new in 1968 and foolishly sold in 1970 - got them back
View attachment 471520
That’s a super cool kit. I assume for you it showed up in the same city/country and you jumped on it, I’d do the same.
I tracked down mine with the help of a friend and found out where it was and asked the guy if he would sell it and he is like looks like you care about it more than I do so yea.

how did you find out it is the exact kit?
mine was obvious because the guy even hadn’t changed the heads lol and I remembered a thing or two about the wrap. Not many of them around anyways.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like way too much money for that set. Take some pics of it for nostalgia's sake, and take the grand and buy something nicer.
I already have its pictures on my wall, these are the pics My dad took the first day I got it as a surprise present after asking for a drumset for years. I came home from school and this glittering red Pearl was sitting in the middle of the living room, I will never forget the feeling.
I have no need for a new drumset or a “better” drumset.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's not 'the' exact kit you owned why bother? If not, I'd say let it stay a warm and inspiring memory.
Use the money toward some other piece of inspiring gear like an engraved snare to hang on to forever or possibly make it an heirloom to pass down line.
It is the EXACT kit, my first kit.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got my kit back from my parents. I had a fifteen year falling out from them, and my kit was there. When we made amends, the last thing on my mind was that kit, as mending the relationship was more important; I admit that my thoughts were that there was a 75% chance my kit was gone. It wasn’t!

If it means that much to you, get it.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is the EXACT kit, my first kit.
HA! I misinterpreted the line in the first post about 'believing'
If this is it, and it means that much to ya, then what are you waiting for... it may be time to pony up!!!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HA! I misinterpreted the line in the first post about 'believing'
If this is it, and it means that much to ya, then what are you waiting for... it may be time to pony up!!!
My bad, I should have said I still CAN’T believe it (edited it) because I thought there was a 10% chance of finding out who has it. Thanks to the internet, seriously.

Reactions: Hop