• I would

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • I would Not

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My bad, I should have said I still CAN’T believe it (edited it) because I thought there was a 10% chance of finding out who has it. Thanks to the internet, seriously.
Sellers remorse is tough to overcome. I sold 4 concert/melodic toms (6"-12") and stands from my full set in the early 80's.
Even though I'd likely never play them again, I would buy them if I had the chance, just to reunite them again.

EDIT: You can tabulate my "no" to a "YES" vote too ;-)

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sellers remorse is tough to overcome. I sold 4 concert/melodic toms (6"-12") and stands from my full set in the early 80's.
Even though I'd likely never play them again, I would buy them if I had the chance, just to reunite them again.

EDIT: You can tabulate my "no" to a "YES" vote too ;-)
Honestly in today’s world with this level of connection, I think you can find something you sold 30 years ago. You just need to be able to differentiate it from a similar sample somehow. If you post a want to buy ad somewhere, there is a good chance it will come up or at least you will know who has it.

Reactions: Hop

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It sometimes seems like the most silly thing to buy back what you got rid of. Sometimes you need that push.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It sometimes seems like the most silly thing to buy back what you got rid of. Sometimes you need that push.
True, and I didn’t sell it because I didn’t want it. I had to sell it at the time because I was moving out of country and didn’t have an address to ship it to even if I had the money at the time. The only option was to sell it.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
True, and I didn’t sell it because I didn’t want it. I had to sell it at the time because I was moving out of country and didn’t have an address to ship it to even if I had the money at the time. The only option was to sell it.
See? That’s the rub. Your time with the kit was limited by no control of your own. Now it’s even more of a no brainer!

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe offer to trade some common USA vintage drums- shipping may be the rub but you may be able to get a sweeter deal

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe offer to trade some common USA vintage drums- shipping may be the rub but you may be able to get a sweeter deal
This is actually the smartest move to get it for cheaper. Actually the plan is to go there for a visit of friends and family and then also deal with this guy and freight the drums in 2 boxes to the US. I can take a Supra with me and trade it with the whole kit. That Supra over there will be a unicorn but not sure if the owner wants cash or is ok to take a drum that is worth more than what he is asking for my old kit (in that country).

Jay_M

Reaction score
It's kind of hard to answer unless you're in the situation. That goes with anything. I bought a 1969-70 Sonor Teardrop 20/13/13/16 in blue onyx in mint condition from guitar center in 2015 and played it 3 months before selling because a Gretsch Olive satin flame came along that blew me away. 2 years later the Sonor popped up in a local shop for $300 more than I paid and $600 more than I sold it for. I sat down at it and kicked myself for selling it in the first place. So I ended up selling a Camco I had to pay to get it back. The principle of paying more to get it back was bugging me till I realized how much I love the set and in a RARE case, my partner encouraged me to buy it again haha. I still have the Sonor, it's my main set and I'm glad I bit the bullet. All that to say I voted yes, but actually being able to sit down and play it and see if anything comes back to you factors in heavily.

Whitten

Reaction score
If it's not in the USA, by the time you add in the shipping, then any taxes, and it's already overpriced IMHO. No.
If it was a classic kit that would sound amazing and continue to gain value - then yes.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I don't feel any nostalgia looking back to any of my old kits or snares or cymbals that I've sold. Wouldn't buy any of them back, even if I got them but cheaper than I sold them for. I played them for a while and now they're in the Great Rotation and that's all good.
Zero sellers regret. :icon_e_biggrin:

So, no I wouldn't buy them back.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my first kit, it was a MIJ stencil kit in rough shape when I got it.

My second kit was awesome. And I do have a vintage kit that is very similar to it. I use it for daily practice, To be honest, I have infinitely better kits these days, and that kit will likely be my next one to go.

I tracked down a bass absolutely identical to my first one about ten years ago. I spent far more than I should have and it has spent the last ten years in a case.

So, no. I'm over the past.

highmileage

Reaction score
I’ve spent more years as a bass player and have kept my eyes out for a couple I’ve let go. Honestly not sure if I’d buy them, but the “first” I’d probably do. If it doesn’t mean you go without eating, then why not? How many chances do you get?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's not in the USA, by the time you add in the shipping, then any taxes, and it's already overpriced IMHO. No.
If it was a classic kit that would sound amazing and continue to gain value - then yes.
The thing is that I don’t care about buying any other classic kit with amazing sound, so I wouldn’t even consider it. It is the sentiment of the kit that makes me consider it, there is nothing about monetary value here after the purchase.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see some people comparing my first kit which is a 70’s Japanese Pearl kit to something “better” or advising me to spend that money to buy something better.
Just want to clarify that I am not looking for any great sounding kit, what I have now in the US sounds great and covers me for anything.
The only reason this drum set is being considered for purchase is because it was my first kit and I had to sell it, now I have the opportunity to buy it back and if I offer a trade to the owner, I can probably get it at the same price that kit would sell in the US, no plans of selling if I get it.
Also, if I get it, it will be played.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pay ten times what I sold my first kit for. (10×0=0)
I would get them if I could find them. They were my first kit I souped up, an I remember them having a sound. Mine were blue sparkle though.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd pay ten times what I sold my first kit for. (10×0=0)
I would get them if I could find them. They were my first kit I souped up, an I remember them having a sound. Mine were blue sparkle though.
Typical first kit colors, red and blue sparkle.
was your kit Pearl too or something else?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar, I think. A "Premium" 16×20, 16×16, 9×13, 8×12, 5×14. Re rings dark wood, I did all the edges and hoops and I think it had a sound. I picked up an old import in red sparkle and am souping it up now. Not the same but hopefully it will have a sound too.