Pork Pie Big Black (BOB) vs Pearl Sensitone

mcirish

Reaction score
I've got a Ludwig LM400. Very old; I believe from the 70s or possibly late 60s. I was thinking about getting a new 6.5x14" snare. A friend has a Black beauty and it is a great snare but that's way out of what i want to pay for a snare at this point. I'm not even sure I "need" another snare, but that's an argument for a different day. So, I see I can pick up a BOB quite cheap and from what I have seen in reviews, it is better than the Ludwig Black Magic. Then, there is the Pearl Sensitone brass snares. They are quite a bit more but maybe I could find a used one somewhere.

Those that have played them both, what's your take on them. This is for a studio. I won't be taking them on the road. My kit is a Ludwig Classic Maple.

Thanks for the input

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had both. They're honestly about the same. I love sensitones and I love pork pie snares.

If you can find an older black nickel bridge lug sensitone, I'd go with it just because.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
There’s no difference between needing and wanting a snare.
I don’t know if the BOB is a Worldmax shell but just put a snare together with one and it sounds really good.
0EDE308A-22B7-4219-B801-D04943B98753.jpeg

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 inch Sensitone and it’s the only non-Ludwig snare my mom lets me use with my Classic Maples. They can be had for a fair price if you look. I’m fond if mine. Nice presence. Don’t know the Pork Pie, but I imagine a 6.5 Sensitone would be nice with your Maples.
BA62F5FC-8E36-47A8-8395-8F4811CF9B96.jpeg

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That price on a new Pork Pie is mighty appealing. Literal bang-for-your-buck. Sort of makes me wonder, sometimes, why I spent that money on a Black Beauty when there’s far more economical and dare I say smarter options like this—and the Sensitone-- out there.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one of the early American-made Pork Pie BOB snares. Yes, Bill confirmed with me that it was an early run, they didn't make many of those here in the U.S. I played that snare as my main snare for many years. It was fantastic, but it sort of outlived its stay with me. I let it go several years ago, wouldn't mind having another one.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pork Pies are a bargain for what you're getting. Pearl makes a great snare. Ludwig is the standard by which other metal snares are measured and you can't deny the mojo, but they come at a heftier price and the build quality/design is what it is.

mcirish

Reaction score
I have another iron in the fire now. I found a fair price on a snare I've always wanted. It's a 6.5x14" Sensitone Bronze. I like how it is a little drier than brass. I may just end up buying it this weekend.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
6.5 Bronze! That’s what I was looking for when I came across my 5” brass. (It was such a deal and had die casts, so I had to snatch it up.)

I bet the bronze is some wonderful molasses of sound. Hope that works out for you!

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My BoB is great. Can’t really go wrong. The backbeat slap awesome. Maybe no better snare fir the money

mcirish

Reaction score
I ended up picking up the Pearl Sensitone 6.5x14" bronze. It's very well made. I've put a 3 mil snare side head (remo) and I've gone between an ambassador and a controlled sound head. The jury is still out.this snare has a good body and clarity. It also has a lot of ring. Maybe not as much as a brass snare but definitely more than the LM400.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Congrats on the Sensi!
I had several of the 1st generation, a 6.5 brass,5.5x13 brass and a 6.5 bronze with straight hoops and clip! All were beautiful and played so well!
The bronze was warm and projected into the back row!
They recorded wonderfully!
I used an Evans Powercenter on them all.

mcirish

Reaction score
I had some time over the last couple days to work on the new Sensitone 6.5x14" bronze snare. I've got the snare head at about an A and the top (Controlled Sound) at a E, which is just a little higher than a medium tuning. It's really a great sounding snare. I'm not sure I've heard a metal snare I like more. A friend has a Black beauty and I'd have to say I like this better. But, possibly it is the way he tunes his drums. This snare was worth the investment. I've seen prices fluctuate drastically on these depending on what is in fashion. I probably paid more than I should have but it was still much less than if i had bought it from a store. I was a bit shocked when I saw the list on it as $1155.00. Wow, I'm glad we don't pay list. ha! Anyway, I'm super happy with it but now I've become a snare junkie and want to buy more....

veggo32

Reaction score
Yeah brass is really cool. I have one but if I were you I would throw a pair of 2.3 Gibraltar hoops on that lm400. To be honest I don't think there is a big difference between the Pork Pie and the Pearl. I've played both and wasn't thrilled with the ring I got. Seamless snares just sound so much better to my ear.

Latest posts