Pork Pie Copper - wow

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m looking for another metal snare. I have a 6.5 Supra, vintage Acrolite, 6.5 Worldmax Black nickel over brass and a 6.5 Beni - would a copper fill in any gaps or be close enough to the Worldmax to consider something different?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
How does it do volume wise in live gigs? I’ve had my eyes on copper snares for a while and heard that they can be a bit too dark and midrange-y to be heard over loud guitars.
I haven't been able to use it with my main band yet, but it cuts through just fine at church with keys and bass.

It does seem a tad darker than my black beauty, but mostly warmer.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not mine, but one that looks like mine for a great price!

katulu

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase! It's a beautiful drum. BTW, head on over to the "I'm made of METAL" thread and post your metal snares!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't been feeling metal snares lately, but have really been curious about copper. According to most, the Ludwig combines the best of the black beauty, 402, and the wood drums in one. I completely agree with this Pork Pie variant. It's an absolutely stunning sounding and looking drum.

I was about to buy another one, but wasn't a fan of some of the looks. This one really caught my eye. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Copperphonic, I highly recommended this one!

I'd say I'd use it now over my 402 and black beauty on our next gigs. Currently it's the only metal drum that's made me put my beloved Rosewood snares on the shelf.

And another 1 handed quick sound sample!

View attachment 531196 View attachment 531197 View attachment 531198 View attachment 531199

That is a beautiful drum! I assume you added the die cast hoop.

Does the patina on these snares actually change over time? Or do they have a lacquer coating?

T-Dub

Reaction score
Haven't been feeling metal snares lately, but have really been curious about copper. According to most, the Ludwig combines the best of the black beauty, 402, and the wood drums in one. I completely agree with this Pork Pie variant. It's an absolutely stunning sounding and looking drum.

I was about to buy another one, but wasn't a fan of some of the looks. This one really caught my eye. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Copperphonic, I highly recommended this one!

I'd say I'd use it now over my 402 and black beauty on our next gigs. Currently it's the only metal drum that's made me put my beloved Rosewood snares on the shelf.

View attachment 531196 View attachment 531197 View attachment 531198 View attachment 531199

That's a great looking snare!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful drum! I assume you added the die cast hoop.

Does the patina on these snares actually change over time? Or do they have a lacquer coating?
I did, but went back to the stock triple flange for now. I think Bill puts a lacquer over these shells. Some, like these, are absolutely gorgeous looking

KingLudwig

Reaction score

I can't say enuff great things about Bill, the head hog definitely knows what he's doing!