Pork Pie Snare Help Please

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I play a Ludwig Classic Maple piccolo snare and it has that great pop/crack sound that a piccolo should have, but it can lack depth.

I play a Pork Pie kit, rosewood/zebrawood, and I’m thinking of going with a matching Pork Pie snare for it. They come in different sizes and I can’t make up my mind between the the 13x7 or the 14x7. There is also a 14x6.5. Sound wise, they seem very close to me. There is also a PP copper snare that is the cat’s pajamas, or something like that. I am a jazz guy if that matters and I’m looking for that one all-around great snare. I’m not looking to have 10 of them. So a little help from you pro’s would be really helpful.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the 14x7 and currently use the 13x7. I like the 13x7 much more. I can get more crack out of it and still maintain the deep fat sound.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the 14x7 and currently use the 13x7. I like the 13x7 much more. I can get more crack out of it and still maintain the deep fat sound.
Yeah, that’s what I’m looking for. I like the crack of my 13x3 piccolo, but it doesn’t have that fat sound. Thanks!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ludwig used to make a 6x13 maple 'Power Pic'.
I had one,wish i still did!
Could handle it all!
Plus lotsa bottom end!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
14x6.5 is the most “all around” of those sizes.
Yeah, the 6.5 does seem to be the most popular size. I know he has them in that size as well. I am sort of looking for a one snare does all type of thing, so maybe I’ll explore that as well.

They all sound darn good in the vids I watched, and so do the copper ones actually. They are a bit more dry I think with more harmonics. They would actually look good with the kit as well. I’m sort of torn a bit. What do you guys think of copper as opposed to maple shells?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great finish on the Pork Pie. I saw a guy play that snare live I think in 2019 - sounded great......The 7x13 above sounds better than the 14" IMO......do they make a full kit in that finish - a bop kit would be sweet......

Ok so yes they do but a bop kit would be killer.....
I have the kit in bop sizes, and it is indeed beautiful. I didn’t get the snare with it, figuring I can get it later, which might be now. The finish on these shells from edges to the veneer exterior is flawless. These PP snares really get some rave reviews and they would match my kit. I am leaning towards the 13” right now.

C95C013E-676C-4DDE-8CC5-E0F71A953D3E.jpeg
4F192F94-6591-4B5D-AB16-1EB6BB4710F7.jpeg

Bob Salvati

Reaction score
I’ve got a PP BOB 6.5x14. Great sounding drum! Great price! They make some awesome snare drums.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you play jazz and use brushes regularly the 13 could take some getting use to.
14x6.5 is my usual go to.
I play brushes now on a 13”, but admittedly, I miss the extra real estate of a 14”. Doesn’t seem like much difference, but it is. That is something I’ve been thinking about. Thanks!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the kit in bop sizes, and it is indeed beautiful. I didn’t get the snare with it, figuring I can get it later, which might be now. The finish on these shells from edges to the veneer exterior is flawless. These PP snares really get some rave reviews and they would match my kit. I am leaning towards the 13” right now.

View attachment 480957 View attachment 480958
What a classy looking kit!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a classy looking kit!
Thanks man!

I can’t say enough good things about this kit. The fit, finish and craftsmanship throughout is just outstanding. And head hog, Bill Detamore, was just a pleasure to deal with. Just a really good guy.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep super cool looking kit. FWIW I think the 13 would fit with that drum set just right.
Thank you!

I tend to agree, because I really wanted this kit to be compact and easy to get around, hence the tom and ride attachments on the BD.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I recently put together a smaller setup like that for a weekend thing. Outdoors, quite cold, need to suddenly move if rain came, etc. Only stands were hh stand, snare stand and throne. Ride off the kick drum om mount and I flew another boom off that for a crash.

Fun little set up, but not nearly as sexy as that Pork Pie. I love that natural look with the two tone. Super cool!