Pork Pie Snare Owners

Lefty

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys
Looking for opinions on their snaredrums.
Over the years I've had PP re-edge a few snares and the results were outstanding.
What of their own snares?
Are they 8 or 10 ply?
Snare response good?
Describe the PorkPie sound if you would.
What makes them different than the others?
Thanks
Pat

I hear positive comments on the drums.They use Keller shells like most builders,offer nice finishes and so on.Service is good to VG.Unfortunately,they are one of so many regional builders going after your dollars.Good news for you is you will get a drum very competitively priced,and of good qlty.

Lefty said:
Hey guys
Over the years I've had PP re-edge a few snares and the results were outstanding.
Are they 8 or 10 ply?
Snare response good?
Thanks
Pat

The name on the badge.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
leedybdp said:
Lefty said:
Hey guys
Are they 8 or 10 ply?
Snare response good?
Thanks
Pat

The name on the badge.
Which, in this case, means something. The Bill Detamore/Pork pie name has earned the respect of the drumming community. I believe that while he does use Keller shells, they are made to his specs, so they are not the same exact shells you can get from AIT. And while he may be based in So. Cal., his products are sold throughout the nation and maybe even the world. He's the guy regional builders should pattern themselves after (and have).

ERWinner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remember, he outsources the metal and acrylic shells to the far east now. little squealer et al. Not that that's necessarily bad, it will just expain the >$200 prices on snares.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
Honest opinion offered here by a Pork Pie owner. I currently own a 2007 Pork Pie kit and I have owned a couple of Pork Pie snare drums, so hopefully I can speak from a place of experience.

The two snare drums I have owned were fine. I owned a 13X7 and a 14X6 snare. (FYI- The 13 was a stain and the 14 was a wrap.) The 13 was very responsive and great for ghost notes, although it was a bit thin sounding and one-dimensional to my ears. (I used it in a funk/r&b band and it certainly worked for that band. The guy who bought it loves it, so there you go.) The 14 is okay sounding, but certainly not great, which I realize is a bit ambiguous. I wouldn't say it is very sensitive, which is weird considering its size. It doesn't have a really full-bodied sound, or wide tuning range, like I was expecting, and as is the typical case in drums of this size. It sounds fine, which is about the best I can say. I will say both snare drums had/have problems with losing their tuning very easily. It seems as if neither snare holds a tuning for more than a song or two. I also had to replace the bottom rim on the 14" right after I bought it, due to it being out of round. Might not have been Pork Pie's fault, but I thought I would mention it.

For me, their snares are okay, but I would recommend a Ludwig snare over either of the Pork Pie snares I have owned.

Lefty

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Honest ones at that.
I'm looking at one at GC,sounds good there.
I'd like to hear it in another setting.
Pat

Look around,there are thousands of drums for sale.There has never been a better time for buying drums.Having said that,its not so great for small boutique guys trying to sell what most others are offering as well. :|

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you ever record with a wood Pork Pie you will hear the difference. I've never played a bad Pork Pie. Of course, like any company, there are those out there that stand out over and above as exceptional occurrences. Too bad they are already in my Pork Pie collection :D Bill D. is the old dog on the block. He is the one the dozens of other boutiques and builders have copied and looked to. Bill does get very picky about the shells that are made for him..he will reject shells that most would have no problem using. A comment on getting a good sound of Porky drums.. if you are not exceptional at tuning these drums will tell you. If you want the very best possible results you will have to be spot on..they are not very forgiving because of the precision put into them.