Portable Sound Baffles

EMW

Reaction score
We're moving. In the place we're leaving, we had a shed attached to the house. It was just painted plywood when we moved in, so I bought $400 worth of gray felt padding and glued it to almost the entire interior, and the effect was fantastic. It wasn't "soundproof," and you could certainly hear me play if you were standing outside, but it cut way down on reflections, and had almost a studio-like hush. So I could everything I did, for better and for worse.

The new place won't have that single-purpose a room, so I'm wondering if there are portable sound panels or baffles I can set up, either in a bedroom or a garage, that would help tame the sound of a 4-tom kit and cymbals. Anybody have experience with such a thing? Thanks in adv.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a clearsonic all in one enclosure at a house I had in a bedroom, and the drums weren’t audible outside. They are expensive, but there are comparable off brands that are much less expensive.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can I make a suggestion? Rebuild the walls, ceiling, and door of one room using resilient channeling, a sound-proofed heavy door, and other sound proofing materials. My drum room is sound proofed and you'd never know it from looking at it. Also, resilient channeling is cheap.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Low budget solution - find a sale of used office dividers - those movable free-standing foam panels used to divide space into cubicles.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Low budget solution - find a sale of used office dividers - those movable free-standing foam panels used to divide space into cubicles.
those " might" not have enought padding/absorption. I've been checking things out for a few days and the consensus is the 4" owens Corning 703 is the way to go. I'm happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this tho...

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So long as you aren't expecting soundproofing, just sound improvement, DIY Rockwool/mineral wool panels can made portable, and they offer broadband absorption almost identical to corning 703. 703 is much nicer to work with because it is rigid, but frames and fabric to hold rockwool are effective.

I made 5 of these with one pack of rockwool insulation. I most recently used them in a small room to record my daughter singing.
20200312_203944.jpg

Metal studs for the frame, breathable felt for the fabric. I covered the backside with cheap landscaping fabric that I already had. They really work well.