Positive News About Mike Portnoy. Not About His Band of the Moment.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'll admit that I've been harsh on Mike Portnoy over the years by, for example, writing that he joins and quits band with the same frequency I change my socks. I've said seven women -- at the most -- are at the gigs he plays and all seven ask "When is thing going to be over" within two songs (or 45 minutes). I've made unflattering references to his hat size.

But, I'm a huge fan of how he helped an Indonesian kid who shot to fame on YouTube drumming Dream Theater songs a drum set stitched together from old buckets and drum heads fashioned out of paper plates and shipping tape. It essentially looks like a "Gilligan's Island" drum kit the Professor cobbled together using items he found washed up on the beach.

YouTube's comments section was filled with people practically demanding Portnoy buy the kid a drum set ... Not sure why they didn't ask Mike Mangini -- who has an actual paying job at Berklee -- but Portnoy came through ... paying for the kid to make the 20-hour trip from his remote island to the nearest drum shop to pick up a drum set worthy of his skills. It almost makes me feel better about the entire Noodly Doodly community.

Metal Hammer has the story, including video of the "Gilligan's Island" drum set. I'm happy to report to you gear nerds that the new kit is Tama and Sabian, a solid step up from what he was playing.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not an MP fan but kudos to him for that beautiful act of charity and kindness.

scole

Reaction score
I’m not saying this in a disparaging way towards Portnoy but he’s not taking credit for the gift. He said Tama was supplying the kit. I’m sure he had discussions with Tama about it but they actually supplied it. He said he was getting bombarded with messages on social media linking him to this guy’s videos.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great story, but didn't Portnoy leave the band a decade ago? Did no one think Mike Mangini had the pull to get the kid a Pearl kit?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I think the kid was playing along to songs MP was the drummer on ......
Great story, but didn't Portnoy leave the band a decade ago? Did no one think Mike Mangini had the pull to get the kid a Pearl kit?
I didn't know this since I didn't follow the Noodly-Doodly world closely back then, but I stumbled across a story that it quickly became apparent that Portnoy wasn't working out with Avenged Sevenfold and tried to get back with Dream Theater. Apparently, the Dream Theater lawyers cautioned against re-hiring Portnoy in the fear that Mangini would sue because he left a good job at Berklee to play for Dream Theater's almost fully male fan base... Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our Noodly-Doodly lives.