header.nohb.html

Possible scam alert.....

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
If this is legit and even someone here a apologize. It just seems fishy to me....

I saw this CL ad today and sent a response asking for more info. $895 for an 8 piece Ludwig set, hardware, cymbals and cases seems like a pretty good deal especially if everything is top of the line. If the person that played them was a touring pro I would assume they could be nice. I got three emails from the person asking me to call for details within two hours. It just seemed kind of pushy and I did'nt leave my number either. I googled his number and it came up from Worcester Mass which made me suspicious because someone out of there sells tons of crap all the time with no luck. It also said JProv as part of the email and I seem to recall a John Provost as someone that has been black balled over the years. I googgled the name and number and it is him. Anyone remember this name? I'm pretty sure this has to be bogus and using a death in the family seems pretty tacky to me if it's not true. If I am making a mistake then I am sorry. It just smells funny to me and if I can save someone else some agrivation and avoid a possible ripoff, then it's worth it. Thanks!
-Kurt

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/2949274914.html

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, he's spread out to NH. That guy is the worst!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I think he got the hint when I never responded to him. I don't want to even encourage him. Is this the guy I remember reading about in the NSMD white pages years ago? I'm pretty sure i remember that name going all the way back to the early 90's!

It's funny because even though there are lots of us collectors, the community is pretty tight. When someone does wrong just about everyone knows about it and it never seems to be forgotten. It's nice too because it seems like there are a lot of great people that far out weigh the bad.

curotto

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember John Provost many years ago when I first started collecting...he was getting a bad name way back then...I bought a 1920s Slingerland Sea Green Tone Flange from him but the only reason I did buy it was that John Aldridge had the drum in his hands, bought the drum, took the drum himself and shipped it to me totally eliminating any potential funny business that could have happened....this was also during the Jonas Aronson -era.

Mike Curotto

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, CL is, and has always meant to be a LOCAL advertising medium...I bought a nice Club Date kit once from a CL listing and had it shipped to me and all was good, but will probably never take that chance again. I guess you shouldve called as the seller asked, but if you arent local to the listing then I dont see the point in the inquiry as shipping that much would be quite costly as well as risky. I dont blame anyone for wanting voice contact as it shows true interest...oh to have a nickle for every text I've recieved when dumping off an entry level kit on CL...the best is when, after a dozen texts I get a description of where they live...a five piece entry level kit with cymbals DELIVERED for $125? I think not! CL is a not my choice to sell, but I have made a few good scores, but when I do I tend to call and tell them I'll be right over!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
He finally stopped emailing me. I had to tell him that I was not interested like 3 times. I also told him it would be much more helpful to include a photo instead of making someone call him. Worcester mass is an hour and a half away so there is no way I would go check out a set that far away without some kind of pic. I think the whole thing is bogus as he is always selling stuff that "must go today"

I also think its pretty lame to say that they belonged to a deceased family member when that's probably bogus too. I'm glad I didn't give him my number...

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
He finally stopped emailing me. I had to tell him that I was not interested like 3 times. I also told him it would be much more helpful to include a photo instead of making someone call him. Worcester mass is an hour and a half away so there is no way I would go check out a set that far away without some kind of pic. I think the whole thing is bogus as he is always selling stuff that "must go today"

I also think its pretty lame to say that they belonged to a deceased family member when that's probably bogus too. I'm glad I didn't give him my number...
I also contacted him and he sent me some pics...I'm trying to find out but, I think it's the same guy a friend of mine dealt with when trying to sell a drumset. The guy he spoke to, a "John from Worcester" said that my friend should sell him his set for cheaper because he was disabled...He also has the same ad in the worcester area with no mention of a deceased son. He has emailed me 3 times about buying

pics below...looks like 80's rockers...*****Note the abundance of stands and hardware in the background*****Looks like he does quite a bit of this

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I think he does this all the time and all his ads have some weird not true story about his health or a death or something. Those look like cheap 80's rocker II's. Not worth much and certainly not the set if a touring pro.

His original ad has been changed now anyway.

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
This one just in....New Hampshire with a MA phone number...bet it's the same guy..another deceased son one...

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/2954032666.html

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll never understand all of his made-up stories about deceased sons/fathers/friends/etc. Is that supposed to help make a sale?

Jnas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've bought a few kits from sellers who either had there grandfather pass or there father pass, and the listing never look like this clowns. It's actually usually really a sad situation.

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
it's really sad that he is doing this.....when his ads are closer to home he loses the death/medical bill thing

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2954127451.html

Having a son myself(just turned 7)...I can't even imagine making up a story like that...really disturbs me