Post Father's Day -- Best Father-Son Drumming Duo?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Hope all you Dads and Sons had a great day yesterday. I was celebrating so hard I overlooked until now Musicradar's Seven Famous Father/Son Drummer Duos.

Before I get to the list (which is incomplete), I'll ask that you score these based on a couple of important criteria: (1.) The career success of both drummers, meaning if the Dad scores a 300 on the success meter and the son is a 50, a father-son who each scored 175 for a total of 350 would win in the event of a tie. (2.) Second-generation drummers who scored gigs on their own merits should rank much higher than someone who's simply filling in for their Dad.

Let us know who was left out:

Ringo and Zak Starkey (Zak will still sign autographs, by the way).

John and Jason Bonham.

Roger and Rufus Taylor (Queen and The Darkness, respectively, for those who don't know).

Joe and Jeff Porcaro (That's Joe P., not Mickey Dolenz you're hearing on some Monkees records!)

Buddy and Nick Rich (Not in the article, but Buddy Rich's grandson Nick played in the post-hardcore band Falling in Reverse and, more recently, a Chicago-based rock group, the Beginning.

Mike and Max Portnoy

Phil and Nicholas Collins (See #2)

Max and Jay Weinberg (A rare case of the son eclipsing the father).

Pete and Sheila E. Escovado (Not included in the article.)

richardh253

Reaction score
Hope all you Dads and Sons had a great day yesterday. I was celebrating so hard I overlooked until now Musicradar's Seven Famous Father/Son Drummer Duos.

Before I get to the list (which is incomplete), I'll ask that you score these based on a couple of important criteria: (1.) The career success of both drummers, meaning if the Dad scores a 300 on the success meter and the son is a 50, a father-son who each scored 175 for a total of 350 would win in the event of a tie. (2.) Second-generation drummers who scored gigs on their own merits should rank much higher than someone who's simply filling in for their Dad.

Let us know who was left out:

Ringo and Zak Starkey (Zak will still sign autographs, by the way).

John and Jason Bonham.

Roger and Rufus Taylor (Queen and The Darkness, respectively, for those who don't know).

Joe and Jeff Porcaro (That's Joe P., not Mickey Dolenz you're hearing on some Monkees records!)

Buddy and Nick Rich (Not in the article, but Buddy Rich's grandson Nick played in the post-hardcore band Falling in Reverse and, more recently, a Chicago-based rock group, the Beginning.

Mike and Max Portnoy

Phil and Nicholas Collins (See #2)

Max and Jay Weinberg (A rare case of the son eclipsing the father).

Pete and Sheila E. Escovado (Not included in the article.)

Respectfully dissent on the Weinbergs. Yes Jay can play a mile a minute. And yes he's gotten better over the years. But back when Bruce Springsteen let him sit on for Max, and I was at some of those shows, well, let's just say he wasn't Max. But then this is back to the "what makes a great drummer" question. If it's playing for the song, then Jay is the best drummer for Slipknot, I guess - a gig Max said on his show last week he could not fill if called upon. But when it comes to locking it down for the E St Band while swinging it, Max is the one. Even if MD readers voted Jay best rock drummer :)

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Phil Collins and son? Phil didnt play on the last tour but son Nicolas did and did a fine job I've heard

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Adam Deitch, and his dad Bobby Deitch
His mom teaches music, and plays drums
All Berkeley grads I think.
Adam is incredibly funky amongst other things.
If you haven t heard him, check him out.