Post your Rarest Snare!!

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think these are my two rarest snares

1. Eugene Giesler-Made in Chicago before Slingerland. If you go in the slingerland book you will see the slingerland version of this snare, but this pre-slingerland

2. Rogers Pre-Badge Dyna-Sonic

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jeez, you two already smoked me. All the coolest snares I've ever had I let slip away a long time ago. Best recording snare I ever owned was a '59 Ludwig Pioneer (pretty sure about that date). That thing sounded so good. It weighed about as much as a carton of cigs it seemed.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rogers made only a dozen or so total of these 5-1/2" XP10 maple snares from 1982 - 83. I have seen two other 5 -1/2" Dynas, but never another 5-1/2" Superten.

XP10 DynaSonic:

XP10 Superten:

Then there's a Wildwood Powertone. Not many of these:

And the custom Gina Schock Superten--only one of these:

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The two rarest things I own are this drum, the AVH, and a Ludwig 75th Anniversary Slotted Coliseum, which I've never seen another of. I've seen a few 75th Anniversay metal snare drums, but never a Slotted Coliseum. I showed the Coliseum to Bill Ludwig III and he said they only made the one and it was for an endorser but he could not remember who it was. I'm giving it a good cleaning now, as it hasn't been cleaned in 25 years. I'll post pics when I have it cleaned up.

L

leedybdp

My best snare drum is my 1963 Leedy Shelly Manne Black Diamond Pearl snare. It is not, however, the rarest. The three drums below are the rarest.

1965 Walberg & Auge Perfection with 8 Gretsch lugs in Champagne Sparkle.

1972 Walberg & Auge Perfection with 8 Gretsch lugs in Ice Blue Glass Glitter (my name for it).

Early 60's Oaklawn Camco Tuxedo 8 lug in White 3-D Moire.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score

1. Eugene Giesler-Made in Chicago before Slingerland. If you go in the slingerland book you will see the slingerland version of this snare, but this pre-slingerland

Do I get more than one choice?

Mike Curotto

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
View attachment 75534

Trixon Telstar from '64 - conical, separate lugs for top and bottom. They eventually went to conical with a single lug, and then to a regular cylinder with single lug. I don't see many with functioning Trixon parallel strainers. Most I've seen have some sort of off-brand stainer on them.

I've never seen original Trixon snare wires that are in good shape - most are mangled horribly. I was able to get regular snare wires on there OK. Pretty nice snare once I got the bottom head to fit.

L

leedybdp

Mike Curotto

Mike:

Please go for it. I have plenty of room on my computer for an onslaught of pictures.

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score

Mike Curotto
Just take a picture of your house (include the address) and tell us what is inside. That's all I ask.... ;)

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
Here's one I play regularly, "The Kent Super 18". Steel shell, single flange hoops, 18 single tension lugs. 14in x 5in.
It's rare as there's only ONE (unless Mouse experimented with this Kent idea)

I'm truly serious that this drum sounds TREMENDOUS, and I get compliments (even from GUITAR players) on the tone quite often. Best part is it's not "too loud" and seems to balance into the kit quite well. Reminiscent of my Rogers COB Powertone, maybe a tad brighter.

View attachment 75547 View attachment 75548 View attachment 75549

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
If I'd have to pick one I'd say this one, a 6.5x14 16 lug George Way Concert Aristocrat in gold sparkle. It's badly faded but it's only one of 3 that I know of so far. I had been trying to acquire this one ever since I discovered them around 6 years ago. It finally took a trade to get it as we could never agree on a price.

gsw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Member Mardigras now owns the rarest snare I've ever had... a SS Badge Gretsch in Emerald Green Pearl.

hutdoug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know how rare but they're my rarest.

1937 Ludwig & Ludwig Standard Swing, 7"x14".

1953 Leedy & Ludwig Broadway New Era, 4"x14". Harry Cangany lists it in his Top Ten Most Collectible snares.