Post your Rarest Snare!!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
That snare is just awesome! A rare bird indeed!

Powertone said:
This would probably be one of my harder to find pieces. A little J.T. creativity?

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
JDZ said:
I had never noticed this. Check out that low profile tom mounted on the second bass from the left. The lugs are about touching. I dare you to find that one!Dave
I'd like to find that shallow tomtom sitting on the 16" bass drum to the far right!

Billster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The rarest snare I've ever owned was a 1958 WFL Super Ludwig, which was the
predecessor to the Supra-Phonic.

I sold this snare to a collector in Australia, who also had another one like it but in solid brass (no chrome plate).

I was warned I feel remorse after selling it, but it fetched $1,800.

Billster

Attachments

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Missed the instructions. Here's the pics.

First two are a '68 Rogers Dynasonic and a '68 Rogers Blue Strata Pearl Lexor. The bottom two asr a '95 DW Edge in birdseye maple and an '83 Yamaha COS Recording Custom:

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
I can't really hang in this thread, but I figured what the heck?

Here's my '64-ish (I think?) OBP Downbeat:

photo(21).JPG

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Billster said:

I sold this snare to a collector in Australia, who also had another one like it but in solid brass (no chrome plate).

Billster
those are extremely hard to find. but..........there is one on ebay right now. its killing me. not gonna happen out of my wallet though. i'm snared out right now! 1250 buy it now or best offer....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-WFL-Chrome-over-Brass-Supraphonic-good-Condition-Sounds-GREAT-/130959637623?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item1e7dcd7c77

mike

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice OBP downbeat. I have a "shell" of the same drum with the lugs. No hoops, throw, etc... One of these days I will assemble a complete drum. Love the size!

Ionic

Reaction score
Still looking for any info about this one. There's a chance it may be the only one (serial #1) until another surfaces, or info is found about the maker (Eylers).

Attachments

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
mlayton said:

Billster
those are extremely hard to find. but..........there is one on ebay right now. its killing me. not gonna happen out of my wallet though. i'm snared out right now! ?.....marko1250 buy it now or best offer....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-WFL-Chrome-over-Brass-Supraphonic-good-Condition-Sounds-GREAT-/130959637623?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item1e7dcd7c77

mike
Mike, are these rare because they should have a transition badge ('58, '59)?.......marko

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Powertone said:
This would probably be one of my harder to find pieces. A little J.T. creativity?

Omigod. Makes me weak in the knees. You're killin' me Powertone. But what else is new? :)

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I posted 3 years ago, here it is again. One of three that I know of but there's gotta be more out there than just three! Even so it's a rare one and it took me a number of years to finally acquire this one in a trade.

It's the 6.5x14 in faded gold sparkle. The drum sitting next to it is just as rare as George Way Tuxedo snare drums just never pop up for sale.

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is pretty rare. 1929 Ludwig & Ludwig solid maple Standard model finished in Marble Pearl. This finish was only shown in the 1928 and 1929 catalogs and then disappears by the time the next catalog was released in 1932.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings all:

I will post an "old and new" rare snares.

Drum 1/old: a Ludwig silver anniversary super brass black enamel black beauty 6.5x14;

Drum 2/new: a classic maple super sensitive psych red glass glitter, tube lug, cast hoop 5x14.

Enjoy!
Paul

Attachments

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
What's the difference between a "Super Ludwig" and a "Super Sensitive"?

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pontiac Rich said:
What's the difference between a "Super Ludwig" and a "Super Sensitive"?
In the 1920's and 30's a "Super-Ludwig" was similar to a 1960's-70's parallel snare mechanism. A "Super-Sensitive" had two sets of snare wires, with one being under the top head. The bottom snare system on a "Super-Sensitive" is the same as on a Super-Ludwig". Below is a Standard-Sensitive followed by a Super-Ludwig. The Standard-Sensitive is similar to a Super-Sensitive except it has a regular, non-adjustable bottom snare system. I don't have a photo of a Super-Sensitive, I'm afraid.

Latest posts