Post your Rarest Snare!!

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
Mark Cooper said:
What's the difference between a "Super Ludwig" and a "Super Sensitive"?
In the 1920's and 30's a "Super-Ludwig" was similar to a 1960's-70's parallel snare mechanism. A "Super-Sensitive" had two sets of snare wires, with one being under the top head. The bottom snare system on a "Super-Sensitive" is the same as on a Super-Ludwig". Below is a Standard-Sensitive followed by a Super-Ludwig. The Standard-Sensitive is similar to a Super-Sensitive except it has a regular, non-adjustable bottom snare system. I don't have a photo of a Super-Sensitive, I'm afraid.
Very interesting. Thanks Mark!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
marko52 said:
The rarest snare I've ever owned was a 1958 WFL Super Ludwig, which was the
predecessor to the Supra-Phonic.

I sold this snare to a collector in Australia, who also had another one like it but in solid brass (no chrome plate).

I was warned I feel remorse after selling it, but it fetched $1,800.

Billster
those are extremely hard to find. but..........there is one on ebay right now. its killing me. not gonna happen out of my wallet though. i'm snared out right now! ?.....marko1250 buy it now or best offer....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-WFL-Chrome-over-Brass-Supraphonic-good-Condition-Sounds-GREAT-/130959637623?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item1e7dcd7c77

mike
Mike, are these rare because they should have a transition badge ('58, '59)?.......marko

marko

apologies for not seeing your question first time around..i think they are just rare because you just don't see many at all. they were shown in the 57 wfl catalog at all. of course, the transition badge models also don't come around every day.

I talked bob carey into buying the one that was on ebay. I think he sold it a bit later though..

mike

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
Rogers made only a dozen or so total of these 5-1/2" XP10 maple snares from 1982 - 83. I have seen two other 5 -1/2" Dynas, but never another 5-1/2" Superten.

XP10 DynaSonic:

XP10 Superten:

Then there's a Wildwood Powertone. Not many of these:

And the custom Gina Schock Superten--only one of these:

I am NO expert like you guys are.. i only know I have been lucky enough to play a couple of Dynasonic Snare drums and I loved them.. these however are just beautiful!!! i LOVE them

gerry

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 1930s Premier Sunset Pearl DeLuxe model, in my life time I've only ever seen three of these snare, this is the third and I know where the second is located. I also own the matching bass drum

Premier Sunset Pearl.JPG

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not the rarest when compared to others', but it's a restored '65 Jazzfest that someone else had stripped, I repaired it and put a clear coat on the wood shell.

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Capt.Wierd said:
My 1930s Premier Sunset Pearl DeLuxe model, in my life time I've only ever seen three of these snare, this is the third and I know where the second is located. I also own the matching bass drum

Premier Sunset Pearl.JPG
My friend Roger Turner may have the same setup as you. I'll check with him again, but he's got some exotic pearl Premier DeLuxe snare and bass drum from the '20s or '30s... He's in the UK; I know his kit is for sale.

Stephen.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
gezz said:
Rogers made only a dozen or so total of these 5-1/2" XP10 maple snares from 1982 - 83. I have seen two other 5 -1/2"
Dynas, but never another 5-1/2" Superten.

XP10 DynaSonic:

Are the 5s or 5.5"?

XP10 Superten:

I am NO expert like you guys are.. i only know I have been lucky enough to play a couple of Dynasonic Snare drums and I loved them.. these however are just beautiful!!! i LOVE them

gerry

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't remember if I posted this rare snare in this thread about year ago when I got it. But, if this is a repeat, at least these are new pictures from today. The W&A Perfection snare drum is hand signed in ink as RGB written above 2-63. Like all Walberg & Auge drums, this one is comprised of components that they made themselves for themselves or for other drum brands plus some components acquired from other companies in trade outs for parts that W&A made for them. The shell with no re-rings appears to be natural unfinished maple on the inner ply. This leads me to think that the shell is from Gretsch. I have never been able to count plies or even care about the number of plies. Does four ply sound right? The wrap is the ultra rare Purple Diamond Pearl that seems to be found only on Rogers drums. The die cast hoops and lugs are Gretsch. The muffler is a W&A exclusive. The strainer is a Rogers Sta-Tite jobbie with a W&A bent metal cover plate. The wide strand of snares appears to be Gretsch, and possibly much newer than the drum.

OK....I just went through all of the postings in this thread. I apoligize for posting this drum again. I posted it back in August of 2013. I still have all four of the cool snares that I posted back then.

Attachments

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
gezz said:
Rogers made only a dozen or so total of these 5-1/2" XP10 maple snares from 1982 - 83. I have seen two other 5 -1/2" Dynas, but never another 5-1/2" Superten.

XP10 DynaSonic:

XP10 Superten:

gerry
Thanks, Gerry. Wow. Interesting to see this post come back up after a couple of years.

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
relayer said:

Premier Sunset Pearl.JPG
My friend Roger Turner may have the same setup as you. I'll check with him again, but he's got some exotic pearl Premier DeLuxe snare and bass drum from the '20s or '30s... He's in the UK; I know his kit is for sale.

Stephen.
Yes, Stephen, Roger does has the same set-up as I. We've been negotiating for several years, but everytime I think I'm ready, something comes up. this last time, my back was giving me severe problems from an accident with the big truck and couldn't drive. I've been out of work since October, just getting ready to drive again.

ThePloughman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only other XP10 Rogers Superten 5x14 known to exist.

[/URL]">http://

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Spongebob said:
Here's are but two a few...

4" x 14" Max Roach Model, dated Feb. 16, 1950 (very rare 4 ply shell)

6.5" x 14" late 50s 6ply Peacock Sparkle (early thin 6 ply shell)
Always envious of that MRM Spongebob....

Here's mine. Dated (I think) Feb 16, 1950 but it's a bit smudged as we have discussed before. Still has the hand engraved MRM plaque, but the 35+ years in the attic really took its toll on the Oriental Pearl wrap. Still a cool and rare drum IMO.

Attachments

Latest posts