Post your Rarest Snare!!

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
No pic, because I'm too dumb, but I have a Grover badged snare that was built by Tempus. 5X14. Black fiberglass. Also a very early Montinari. And a '28 black beauty.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hardel 6PLY.
I think it was made for a music store/business in Canada. I haven't seen another.
It a very cheaply built drum but it's functional. The shell diameter is exactly 13" and the depth is 4"

I have many more snare drums that are much more expensive but none as 'Rare' I think.

What do you say.....have you ever seen one?

Attachments

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
You may remember the DW exotic wood collectors snare that Bongo Congo gave me at Christmas as a prize for the "Merry Christmas DFO" thread. It is peppered beech with black nickel fittings and a magnetic throw. Bongo said he had never seen another like it. DW said there were as fewer than 20 made, and very possibly as few as five. I'd call that pretty rare.

A sad note...when I went through old e-mails to Bongo to get info on it, it said Bongo "had left the conversation." Indeed.

IMG_0323.jpeg

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, the following is nothing special compared to many of the snares in the thread, but here's my early Pork Pie 12x6 with original orange honeycomb wrap. It preceded the little squealer and sounds better to my ear. Signed by Bill Detamore in 1995, and I'm guessing he made it as well.

This little guy is one of my favorite drums and I can't see selling it. Hangs with the bigger boys without a problem.

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
Two of my rarest.

1963 7x14 Radio King in WMP. Pretty rare according to DrCJW.
IMG_1930 (2).JPG

Nashville 7x14 Pat Foley RK, NOS
Photo002 (2).JPG

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These 2 snares are very unique...both are LEEDY Autographs of the Stars finish. The white pearl one is 7X14 and it is the only one that I know of that has the autographs on a white pearl background. The other is a 8X14 Broadway Parallel with Full Dress (Gold Sparkle trim for the stars.) Both drums are date stamped 4007, that is quite a coincidence too!

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_0390.jpg

antipodes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got what I'd describe as a Geo. Way/Camco transition COB 14" x 5" snare. Camco Oaklawn badge (before they started putting USA on it) with a snare strainer showing remants of the Geo. Way style strainer - and in mint condition save for a tiny scratch.

Attachments

Dave in VA

Reaction score
MikeJtone said:
These 2 snares are very unique...both are LEEDY Autographs of the Stars finish. The white pearl one is 7X14 and it is the only one that I know of that has the autographs on a white pearl background. The other is a 8X14 Broadway Parallel with Full Dress (Gold Sparkle trim for the stars.) Both drums are date stamped 4007, that is quite a coincidence too!

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_0390.jpg
Hey MikeJtone.......Is this your snare at Jack Lawton's in November ? All I can say is WOW !!!!!
The tom is mine.......

Dave in VA

Attachments

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No pics (thank god) but my mij Norma in dark red sparkle must be the "rarest" crap, I mean drum that's left here. Its still in the closet (where it belongs) and still can't find the throw off for it!

After cross examination of myself I might consider offers on this rare piece of .....t, I'm think matching it with my Ludwig "Educator" for say 7,500.00
or by its self for 57.59! (no throw off) think about it and let me know! Doc.

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
1969 Ben Tone...World's Supreme Quality.

You didn't say "best", you said "rarest". Have YOU ever seen another like it?

100_0345.jpg
100_0349.jpg
BenTone_badge.jpg

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave in Va said:

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_0390.jpg
Hey MikeJtone.......Is this your snare at Jack Lawton's in November ? All I can say is WOW !!!!!
The tom is mine.......

Dave in VA
Hey Dave Thanks for that picture! I miss that snare, I have not seen it for months! I love that drum case, and what's probably inside too :)
That 7X11 inch tom formerly resided in Michigan, now it is a proud and beautiful resident of the fine state of VA! What a beautiful looking drum & that case is unbelievable! Jack is an awesome drum guy, and just a good all around person too!

Thanks Dave!
Mike

Ionic

Reaction score
I've posted this one a couple of times before in an effort to find out anything about the builder.The best I could come up with was a percussionist/author with the same last name. May be a one-off.
The shell looks like a single ply wrapped around twice.

The Sonor is a D-426 factory drilled for Swinger lugs. ST Drums mentioned that he had not seen one before. I've seen a high end wooden one with the same treatment on Ebay.

Attachments

davidh

Reaction score
Badge was fitted in the 1950s but this is from the 1930s