Potential Rogers deal, inputs appreciated

sptucker

Reaction score
I went to look at a used Rogers kit today. It's a 12, 13, 16, 20 configuration, which I really want. Red glitter wrap. Kick tag says Dayton Holiday, everything else says Fullerton Power Tone. Wrap has a few minor scuffs here and there, but otherwise looks shiny and solid. Hardware all looks good except none of the toms have original bottom hoops or tension rods, so I'm sure it was used without resos at some point. The bottom bearing edges do have some roughness. It has a mix of drum heads that would all need to be swapped out.

Guy wants $1150. I'm thinking $750 tops, due to the bottom bearing edges, hoops, rods, etc.. I mentioned this and he seemed amenable. In any case, I didn't have the cash and had to leave, but we plan to reconnect soon.

Whatcha think?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like the popular "Londoner" outfit. Early Fullerton drums were still very good and should still be using machined Swivo mounts, such as the floor tom brackets and collet noses for the tom holders. Yeah, $1150 is way too high, but, as you mentioned, he may be willing to deal on $750, which is certainly fair. Any chance you can provide pictures? You still might want to negotiate further, due to those missing parts. I doubt you'll find Rogers hoops anytime soon. And, yes, I can easily tell the difference with Rogers hoops!

Keep us informed, and good luck!

-Mark

sptucker

Reaction score
I have one pic from the ad, attached. The kick spur collets are machined, the tom post and mounting collets are cast. I gave them a pretty good look-over. Two of the swivo ball screws are small Rogers T-handles, but have the same threads as a regular swivo screws. I forgot to mention that the batter kick hoop needs to be sanded and painted (no biggie, imho).
Red Rogers.jpg

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking $750 takes it, as there will be additional costs for those rims, tensioners and machined double tom holder. You might be able to simply sand those bearing edges carefully by hand.

BTW, are you certain about the bottom rims not being Rogers? The shape of the tensioner flanges changed from "roundish" to "squarish" over the years.

If original, jptrickster has it nailed.

sptucker

Reaction score
Yes, I’m 100% certain the bottom rims are not Rogers. And the bottom tension rods are Ludwigs for sure.

Really appreciate the help, jp and Tommy!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very few kits sell as the sum of their individual parts. Most everyone expects a deal/discount. I just had an early 70's Fullerton Londoner go through my area CL the past 2 months. Took about that long to sell it. Asking price was $1100. Probably went for $900-$1000. Same drum sizes as the OP. And this kit was exceptionally clean and included the basic metal snare as well. Chrome was mint and no parts were missing. I'd have been tempted if it were a sparkle or pearl vs. a plain white wrap.

More and more kits are coming on the market. Be patient and stick to your guns as far as what you know is a fair price. Scarcer and popular colors + fabulous condition + one owner....well those are special. The spread between "all there" vintage kits and "not all there" will continue to widen.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Pay what you need to pay to get it. I love red glass glitter. Yes, parts are high, but you know how it goes. Over time it's just a little here and a little there. Get a part for Christmas, another for birthday.... etc. Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Very few kits sell as the sum of their individual parts. Most everyone expects a deal/discount. I just had an early 70's Fullerton Londoner go through my area CL the past 2 months. Took about that long to sell it. Asking price was $1100. Probably went for $900-$1000. Same drum sizes as the OP. And this kit was exceptionally clean and included the basic metal snare as well. Chrome was mint and no parts were missing. I'd have been tempted if it were a sparkle or pearl vs. a plain white wrap.

More and more kits are coming on the market. Be patient and stick to your guns as far as what you know is a fair price. Scarcer and popular colors + fabulous condition + one owner....well those are special.
Yes, white is a minus in Script drums. OK in Big Rs. Ace

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
You negotiated the price but didn't have the money to buy when the seller seemed amenable?
Maybe I read it wrong.
Makes me nuts when folks discuss price with me but then tell me they don't have the money in place.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
You could go as high as $850 and still be ok. The hoops and rods can easily be found on eBay for around $150, and a light touchup with some fine paper on those edges will probably do it. Have you actually looked at the edges? This is important before you buy.

It's not quite right to figure the cost of heads into the price of a kit: almost everybody puts the heads of their choosing on a new kit; it's the cost of doing business...

Looks like a nice kit.

Is the bass speckled inside? If so, it's close to the others in production details. In any event, Holidays and Power Tones are the same drums. The Fullerton boys merely updated the model name of the drums to something more modern.

sptucker

Reaction score
You negotiated the price but didn't have the money to buy when the seller seemed amenable?
Maybe I read it wrong.
Makes me nuts when folks discuss price with me but then tell me they don't have the money in place.
I agree, and feel like a shmuck, but don’t bust my chops. The drums are about an hour away, in the same town my daughter lives in. She needed me to help her with something today and I spontaneously checked the Rogers out when I found out they were so close by. I have the money, but don’t typically carry $750 cash unless I know I’m going to need it... Anyway he and I are communicating via text and it’s all good.

sptucker

Reaction score
You could go as high as $850 and still be ok. The hoops and rods can easily be found on eBay for around $150, and a light touchup with some fine paper on those edges will probably do it. Have you actually looked at the edges? This is important before you buy.

It's not quite right to figure the cost of heads into the price of a kit: almost everybody puts the heads of their choosing on a new kit; it's the cost of doing business...

Looks like a nice kit.

Is the bass speckled inside? If so, it's close to the others in production details. In any event, Holidays and Power Tones are the same drums. The Fullerton boys merely updated the model name of the drums to something more modern.
Thanks Dan!

I looked at and felt all of the edges in person. They are not great but can hopefully be sanded into shape and won’t need to be re-cut. This is something I’ve done before.

Yeah, I was not including heads in my negotiation, just mentioning it here as something they will need.

Bass is speckled inside. I’m guessing they have been together since the beginning...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, it didn't take long to get lots of input after you posted the picture! That's a fine kit. $750-$850 is a great price! Scoop them up before someone else does!

-Mark

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Looks like a nice kit.

This^^^^

dexter74

Reaction score
750 would be a great price. 900-1000 wouldn't be unreasonable IMO, considering it's a sought after finish and has some(?) Machined collets. (Good chance cast ones will eventually need replacing at $40-50 each for machined replacements)

Have you seen what guys are asking for Ludwigs from the same era???

Last edited:

Latest posts