Potential Rogers deal, inputs appreciated

sptucker

Reaction score

sptucker

Reaction score
Quick update after getting the drums home. Overall I am very pleased, but found a couple other minor issues that I didn't notice yesterday...
One of the tone control knobs is a Ludwig and has the wrong nuts and spring internal to it. Can't believe I missed this. The rest of the muffler assembly is correct. I'll post a request in the Wanted section. Who knows?

There are a couple hairline cracks in the floor tom wrap, including this 1.5" one. Oh well. The shell is solid as a rock in any case.
red rogers crack.jpg

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's odd. The sparkle finishes were not prone to cracking. Also, blue and red sparkle don't fade over the years.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I've seen that wrap shrink and crack on a few drums from that era. Usually only small cracks, like the one in the photo. It all depends on how they were stored. If they were left in a cold garage for the winter, it's likely to happen. Those drums are around 55 years old. If that's the only wear they show, that's still pretty impressive.

sptucker

Reaction score
I've seen that wrap shrink and crack on a few drums from that era. Usually only small cracks, like the one in the photo. It all depends on how they were stored. If they were left in a cold garage for the winter, it's likely to happen. Those drums are around 55 years old. If that's the only wear they show, that's still pretty impressive.
Agreed, pretty impressive. Hoping the value didn't just go down $200... ;-) . JK, I plan to gig these in any case!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you're gonna enjoy the heck out of these! Please take some nice pics after you get 'em dialed in. Great buy!

sptucker

Reaction score
Well I've spent quite a few hours working on the kit, and thought I would share the final product. I removed and cleaned every single piece of metal. Once again, the Rogers hardware all came back to life and sparkles like new. Literally zero pitting or flaking anywhere, and the Swivo hardware is all tight and working perfectly. The wraps have several cracks and dings, but I cleaned and waxed/polished them and they look freaking great. You really have to be looking for the flaws. Bottom bearing edges all cleaned up nicely with minimal plasti-wood and sanding. Kick hoops needed extensive plasti-wood, sanding and spray-painting. I wound up replacing 2 damaged non-Rogers bottom rims with vintage Rogers, and bought a new-production tone control knob for the FT. All of the bottom tension screws are Ludwigs, not going to bother replacing them.

New CAs all around, plus a nice Rogers decal for the kick reso -- I'm super excited to have the 20" kick! The kick and the toms all sound A. Maze. Ing.

This thing is destined to be a favorite at home and at gigs...
IMG_7828.jpg IMG_7827.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice - I really like red drums! I just picked up my first Rogers kit and wanted my first silver, too so I went that way with a 12/16/20.....really digging Rogers!