Powder Coating Hardware

vigilante397

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time poster on here. My kit has been largely unchanged for a few years now, and frankly there's nothing serious I want to change tonally, but I'm thinking about changing the looks. I recently picked up a powder-coating gun for my other hobby (guitar effect pedals) and was thinking about powder coating the hardware on my kit. It's a clear acrylic set currently with chrome hardware, and I was thinking of going to gold hardware because I'm obnoxious :p

My question is, has anyone done this? I know professional companies do it all the time for colored lugs and hoops and such, but I've never actually tried it so I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have powder-coated hardware. Its a very simple process ... provided you have a containment case for sandblasting, a dust free case for powder application, and a spare oven to bake the parts.
Believe it or not, my bud and I had those items. If you do ... piece of cake.

vigilante397

Reaction score
I have powder-coated hardware. Its a very simple process ... provided you have a containment case for sandblasting, a dust free case for powder application, and a spare oven to bake the parts.
Believe it or not, my bud and I had those items. If you do ... piece of cake.
I have all those things, but I was wondering how necessary the sandblasting would be in this case. I've seen a lot of the "candy" translucent powders that like being put over a silver finish, could I put a translucent gold straight over the chrome?

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I have all those things, but I was wondering how necessary the sandblasting would be in this case. I've seen a lot of the "candy" translucent powders that like being put over a silver finish, could I put a translucent gold straight over the chrome?
You can coat chrome without sandblasting, but be aware:

•greasy/gunky spots will repel the powder

•pitting or flaking in the chrome can result in a coarse/bubbly surface

Take the above advice and experiment on something cheap first!

vigilante397

Reaction score
That makes sense, I guess sandblasting it first probably is the way to go. I think I may have some hardware lying around from an old kit, I'll pull that out for practice and see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
for gold that would be plating, not powder coating. you don't have to scuff the parts for plating because you will see the marks, but you usually do with powder coating. though i have stripped some pc parts and they're not always scuffed up.

vigilante397

Reaction score
I guess I could jump in and update this thread, I was set on gold until my buddy talked me into red hardware. I went with a "candy" red which is translucent and meant to go on top of a silver coat, so I used it on the chrome hardware without sandblasting. My technique could still use some work but I finished the hardware on my kick this weekend and am pretty stoked with the results.
86969495_124730505752787_337100403831209984_o.jpg

I have all the lugs done on my rack tom as well, but I don't have an oven at home big enough to hold the hoops and mount, so I'll have to find a way to do them at work and use our laboratory oven for curing.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, those hoops came out great. It's kind of hard to see the detail in the lugs, but the hoops almost look like they are annodized.

Edit: Just curious, but do they make a see through black, almost like a black nickel finish for powder coating?

vigilante397

Reaction score
Yup, the place I got my powder from has "candy black chrome" which is a cool looking translucent black. The one I used is "anodized candy red."