Powder Coating...

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I've got a 8x14 Slingerland brass shell and an old 6.5x14 steel shell that I want to have and blasted and refinished.
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have anything applied afterwords?
Not sure if the new coating would mute and dampen the shell to the point where you would really just hear the powder coat instead of the metal? Would it make more sense to leave the metal shells raw and keep them very lightly oiled?

As usual, any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly you wouldn't probably notice any sonic difference with the steel shell but the brass shell would probably be muted by the powder coat. I think it would depend on where you tune your snares though; if it's fairly high then the powder coat shouldn't really effect the sound. If it were me I would just spray a couple coats of DEFT satin lacquer on each one and call it a day.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you go the rattle can route, I suggest you find brand of clear that uses the fan tip. You'll have a much easier time getting a smooth coat without running. Here's a pic of the fan tip.

Attachments

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an old raw aluminum Oriollo shell powder coated and I can't tell it made any difference sonically. It's my favorite snare.

oriollo black.jpg

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I've heard many metal snares pre- and post- powdercoating. My experience was that the difference was extremely subtle. There may have been a slight drying effect to the sound, but even then I'm not sure I would be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

The only thing that would make me hesitate would be if heads are already a snug fit on the shell. Adding a coating will exacerbate that issue, and the flesh hoop may even start to scrape off the finish. The vast majority of metal shells are well undersized and should have zero risk of this, but it's something to consider if yours are little bigger.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have whatever clear-coat Slingerland applied sandblasted off of my brass 8x14. I saw a Joyful Noise snare in raw brass that had patina'd really beautifully and I'm going to try to achieve that look.
I have a 6.5x14 steel that I think I'll have coated.

Thanks for the input as always, fellas.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have whatever clear-coat Slingerland applied sandblasted off of my brass 8x14. I saw a Joyful Noise snare in raw brass that had patina'd really beautifully and I'm going to try to achieve that look.
I have a 6.5x14 steel that I think I'll have coated.

Thanks for the input as always, fellas.
On a vintage slingerland that clear coat is probably just a coat of clear lacquer. Sandblasting would seem a bit harsh when you can likely remove the coating with a rag and some lacquer thinner. Unless you want the metal to look sandblasted.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh. Yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. Thanks for pointing that out. I just wanted a clean, raw, smooth surface that can patina naturally over time.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I while back I got an acro shell that someone had tried to paint...I ended up using a stripper wheel on a drill (after i removed most of the paint) and got a sort of brushed metal look that was very cool and since i ran the wheel at different angles it caught the light nicely....on the steel shell...i'd try that...was very satisfying