Power Wrist Builders Drumsticks????

Jim P

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone here use the Power Wrist Builder drumsticks? What do you think do they work for you?
I wanted to know peoples opinions as they are $80 per pair.

Thanks,
Jim P

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
I would be interested in this info, too - I looked at them a while back. Some of those sticks are heavy! :shock:

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can tell you that overworking your playing muscles with heavy practice sticks will, in the long run, do more harm than good.

ambadextro

Reaction score
A friend of mine did this and received Carpal Tunnel syndrome as a result.
I would assume it really depends on how much you use them...

I've had students ask me about these...I've always just replied..."you want stronger wrists? Play more...with YOUR sticks..."

Just my thoughts...be careful, Jim...please...

amba

bongobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I too see them doing more harm than good. I think it's OK to use a 2B or something heavier than your usual stick but those things are extreme! I don't think you can hurt yourself playing on a pillow and that had provided great results for many.

I was using Zildjian Calhoons for a while. It's a pretty heavy, long stick, much bigger than the 5Bs I was used to. Next thing I knew, I was getting cortizone shots in my elbows! OUCH!!

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
When you think about it, who really needs stronger wrists when playing drums? If you're not getting enough loudness out of your drums, buy bigger/deeper drums. Myself, I have to constantly remind myself to "relax and loosen up" the wrists, not the opposite. I play much better when I'm relaxed and my wrists are loose and flexible--not all muscle-contracted like Popeye forearms!

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
When you think about it, who really needs stronger wrists when playing drums? If you're not getting enough loudness out of your drums, buy bigger/deeper drums. Myself, I have to constantly remind myself to "relax and loosen up" the wrists, not the opposite. I play much better when I'm relaxed and my wrists are loose and flexible--not all muscle-contracted like Popeye forearms!

It's not about gettng "Loudness" out of the drums, Mark. They're more for Conditioning - and if like anything you don't, overtrain, I'd think they'd be beneficial. JoJo Mayer is recommending them on his new dvd. I'm not saying we should all folow JoJo because he uses them, but i think he has a good idea on Hand Technique - and he doesn't suggest any brand either. :)

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess one might consider it if they were feeling muscle-fatigued in the wrists/forearms while playing for a while. I may break out in a sweat after playing a few more 'rigorous' songs, but I never really get arm fatigue. I do, however, get fatigued in my left shin while working on the double bass pedal. :?

Jim P

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts so far. I'm not thinking of the 20 oz size. That's too heavy. I was looking at the 6oz model. As far as building "popeye arms" you're not going to do that even using the 20 oz model. I really wanted to see if anyone has actually used this item. Santa Clara Vanguard drum corps is listed as one of the groups using them as well as many other professional players. I just wondered if anyone here has had actual experience with them that was not an "endorsing" user.

Thanks,
Jim P

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim P said:
As far as building "popeye arms" you're not going to do that even using the 20 oz model.

No, for that, you need the "Spinach Edition" sticks. :D

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those things spell CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME to me! :( I had surgery on my left wrist a few years ago & now I need it on the right side. I am sure playing LOUD music since 1965 has had a lot to do with it. I have also always used big sticks. Don't know what will fall apart next but please treat your wrists with respect! Your whole body for that matter! :idea1:
Dave Huffman :occasion5:

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
It was recommended by some one whose opinions I deeply respect that I don't use the 2Bs for practice on the pad but rather practice with the sticks am currently using: 5Bs.

What is happening too is that am putting far more time on the practice pad than the drum set itself...which is causing me some problems after some rather prolonged practice sessions; my hands become somewhat numb and hurt, plus wind up with some small "balls" (tendons?) on my fingers where they meet the palms, so have to rub them out by finger massaging.
Am a bit concerned that this development might cause permanent damage, but perhaps is to be expected since I haven't played drums for a very, very long time.

Anyway, am thinking that I should drop the size of the sticks to 747s (like my son uses) or even 5As, which is what I used in the past (in the 60s I even used 7As for very light work as the pianist of a high-end restaurant's small combo I occasionally played with insisted on my using them when not using brushes; he was of the mind that a drummer should only be a time-keeper and quietly provide such as well, so I complied for the sake of a paycheck :) )...

-elcid

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
elcid, if you're looking for a lightweight stick with all the strength (or more) than typical 2B's and 5B's, check out Headhunters. Lightweight Canadian Rock Maple with a coating that gets tackier the warmer the stick gets, thick necks so you don't have so many broken-off tips....if you're looking for a lightweight stick with all the power, check them out. I use the BBB's and CCC's.

http://www.headhunte..._grooves_B.html

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
elcid, if you're looking for a lightweight stick with all the strength (or more) than typical 2B's and 5B's, check out Headhunters. Lightweight Canadian Rock Maple with a coating that gets tackier the warmer the stick gets, thick necks so you don't have so many broken-off tips....if you're looking for a lightweight stick with all the power, check them out. I use the BBB's and CCC's.

Hey, thanks for the tip! :) Interesting looking things. Will order me some of them soon and give 'em a try.

By the way, does anyone use the creamy stuff that's supposed to be rubbed on sticks, which allegedly protects one's hands from chaffing and other such friction problems?...

-elcid

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The whole idea is to devlope callus's on you hands to protect them. I haven't got any blisters from playing since high school.
I tried some of the sticks with the rubber coating to protect your hands & give U a better grip & those things wripped my hands up.
What I do like & use are the Zildjian anti vibe sticks. They are more$$$ but my wrists don't hurt near as bad when I use them :idea1:
Dave Huffman :occasion5:

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Dave H. said:
The whole idea is to devlope callus's on you hands to protect them. I haven't got any blisters from playing since high school.
I tried some of the sticks with the rubber coating to protect your hands & give U a better grip & those things wripped my hands up. Dave Huffman :occasion5:
I did developed a single callus on the middle finger of my left hand back in the days I played drums for a living (in the mid to late 60s), but eventually got rid of it; it bothered the heck out me! :lol:

The problem am experiencing now is that my hands are not used to the sort of friction they're being asked to handle after a very long time (late 80s or perhaps early 90s--don't remember which) of not even handling drum sticks, let alone subjecting them to prolonged practice sessions (both on the pad and drum set) as an attempt from my part trying to catch up, which is unlike my son who has been playing drums for a long time and doesn't have the same sort of problems with his hands.

Anyway, don't want to sound like am being a wimp; rather, I want to hear from you drumming pros as to how best handle my current situation...

-elcid

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you try out those Headhunters, please post your observations on them. I hope you like 'em! When you compare the weight to the standard hickory sticks, you'll find it's a significant difference.

Tahir

Reaction score
if your trying to build up endurance with practice sticks i guess it would be just like lifting weights. If your not careful your going to mess something up. :occasion5:

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
If you try out those Headhunters, please post your observations on them. I hope you like 'em! When you compare the weight to the standard hickory sticks, you'll find it's a significant difference.
Will do! :D

Oh, by the way...is it just me or the varnish Vic Firth (have liked their products for a long time) currently use on their sticks, which I don't remember experiencing in the past, sort of "smear" on one's hands after a few minutes of "heating" up under frictional "forces"? :?
Don't much care for the sticky feeling that ensues as the end result somewhat tends to limit finger control (and this happens with either the 5Bs or 2Bs, so...)...

-elcid

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
elcid said:
Coelacanth said:
Will do! :D

Oh, by the way...is it just me or the varnish Vic Firth (have liked their products for a long time) currently use on their sticks, which I don't remember experiencing in the past, sort of "smear" on one's hands after a few minutes of "heating" up under frictional "forces"? :?
Don't much care for the sticky feeling that ensues as the end result somewhat tends to limit finger control (and this happens with either the 5Bs or 2Bs, so...)
I certainly don't notice that with the Headhunters, which have some kind of treatment. Never had any of it somehow get on my fingers...but I'm not a clammy-handed, sweaty-palmed guy. If anything, my hands stay *too* dry, which sometimes means sticks slipping out of grip, too. :)