Powerstroke 3 vs Ambassador Resonant Bass Drum Head

Jasondog3

Reaction score
I play live music in a band with lots of musicians and, amazingly, two drummers! That's right, we have two drumsets setup, and we often play in unison; other times we play different parts. Anyway, our drums are never mic'd. I'm trying to make my bass drum sound very powerful. I've tried different batter heads, and my favorite is the simple Remo Coated Emperor. For muffling, I stick some of those Remo Foam Dots on the inside of the batter head. Right now, my resonant head is the Remo Powerstroke 3, with no hole. I'm fixin' to try a Remo Smooth White Ambassador for my resonant head. What do you all think?

dsop

Reaction score
I don't like the sheen of the smooth white head. It can reflect lights in a way I find annoying. I much prefer a White Suede head, but they only come in Powerstroke 3 versions unfortunately.

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
Unless it's the specific sound you're after, and depending the depth of drum, a port may do wonders no matter the head

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, I third bigbeats solution. I would personally get rid of the muffling all together and add the strike pad. That will give you attack and volume and boom. Espescially if you aren't micd. Any overtones that you don't like will be eaten up by the rest of the music.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think changing your resonant head from a PS3 to an Ambassador is going to make a whole lot of difference. And, btw, if you cut the ring out of the PS3, you'll have an Ambassador head....

A ported or un-ported resonant head makes much more of a difference than which kind of head it is, imho.

I like coated Emperors for bass drum batters; I changed back to an Emperor from a PS3 and like it much better. Powerstroke batters don't increase the low end, they just take out some of the high end.

If your band is at all loud, you need to be mic'ed. How can you be "powerful" compared to a 4x10 800 watt bass rig? You can't. If everybody else is coming through speakers, you need to also....an acoustic violin, or piano, or bass drum just can't compete with modern amplifiers and speakers.

Good luck.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used a PS3 reso for ages and ages - and switched to a regular Amp (usually an uncoated Ebony) and it made a small difference that I've been preferring. Again, this is by no means a big difference - but I wasn't looking for a big difference. But have enjoyed the little tweak.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently put a Remo Ambassador Coated White on my bass drum for the resonant head and it’s working out really good. I agree that the shiny surface of the smooth white is not something that I want.

The PS3 heads are super dead and I wanted the openness of the regular Ambassador coated head on the front. I got this head knowing that I would finally give in and cut a 4” hole in the front head. I have a small blanket inside which is only touching the resonant head and drum shell (not touching the batter which is pre-muffled). Since I have the hole I can tune the dampening to taste or to the room. I think this would have worked just fine with a coated Emperor as a resonant head too.

On the other side I’m using an Evans EQ3 batter. It’s very similar to a Remo Clear PS4 batter head. I also prefer a 2 ply batter on the bass drum batter. I don’t normally like Evans heads, but I had it lying around and it’s pretty darn good. I have a leather beater patch and a wood beater. The wood helps with the punch and the leather rounds out the attack.

You could keep your Coated Emperor as your batter and just get an Ambassador for the resonant side (or another Coated Emperor for that matter - you can always use it as a batter head later). They are fairly cheap as far as bass drum heads go. Plain vanilla, but customizable.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I for one have come to like smooth white front heads. They don't collect dirt like coated ones do. Unmic'ed, a simple single ply head gives you the most sound you can get imo. With a mic in front of a complete front head, I wouldn't use them without a bit of muffling to reduce the overtones, which can be a bit too present in the mic.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The most powerful batter head I have found is the Evans GMAD, a 12 mil single ply head. That combined with an EQ1 or EQ3 (depending on if you want a port), will give you loads of low end and power.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you want an open and loud drum I'd advise 2 simple Ambassadors...the coating is pretty much moot; I use a clear batter (coated up front) so that I can see the mic and muffling from the seat. That setup, with the right muffling can also be totally dead if that's what is needed. This combo was used by everyone at one time with various effects, from huge to punchy.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently put a Remo Ambassador Coated White on my bass drum for the resonant head and it’s working out really good. I agree that the shiny surface of the smooth white is not something that I want.

The PS3 heads are super dead and I wanted the openness of the regular Ambassador coated head on the front. I got this head knowing that I would finally give in and cut a 4” hole in the front head. I have a small blanket inside which is only touching the resonant head and drum shell (not touching the batter which is pre-muffled). Since I have the hole I can tune the dampening to taste or to the room. I think this would have worked just fine with a coated Emperor as a resonant head too.

On the other side I’m using an Evans EQ3 batter. It’s very similar to a Remo Clear PS4 batter head.
A little OT but what is a PS4? I've never actually seen one although I have seen a couple guys mention them.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like smooth white reso bass drum heads, particularly a smooth white Ambassador. It gives me that "puff" of air sound, a la Simon Phillips, that has that great low end THUMP followed by that "puff" of air that hits you in the chest.

Latest posts