header.nohb.html

Practice makes.....

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
I’m kinda thinking that I’m spreading my practice too thin. This week I’m going to focus nearly all of my practice time on one thing (finger technique playing swing on the ride cymbal) and see if I like the results better than when I try to practice many things.

Heaven help me if it turns out I’m practicing wrong, it’ll take a month to undo. :)

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure that one out satisfactory too. The advantages are obvious, but the potential for tension and strain are too.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
Heaven help me if it turns out I’m practicing wrong, it’ll take a month to undo. :)

I don't think it's wrong to sometimes narrow focus on areas needing attention. When I was first getting into rudiments, I would zone out on just one at a time, for hours at a time. I was sacrificing other stuff at that time in order to commit those movements to muscle memory.

Last edited:

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
I was sacrificing other stuff at that time in order to commit those movements to muscle memory.
This, exactly. I just don’t see how I’ll get my ride cymbal motion ingrained to the point where it is automatic no matter what else I’m doing or what’s happening around me if I’m working on it 20 minutes, 3 times a week.

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK, 20 minutes three times a week should do it eventually if you maintain with that technique that you are wanting only- no backsliding

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
.. my family crazy. Of course anytime my wife says something is driving her crazy I always think (but don't dare say, because it's only partly in jest) "Why drive when you can walk from here"?"

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
It'll be fourteen years from today in exactly fourteen years, and there's not a single thing you can do about. It'll be a better day if you accomplished what you set out for than if you didn't.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
It'll be fourteen years from today in exactly fourteen years, and there's not a single thing you can do about. It'll be a better day if you accomplished what you set out for than if you didn't.
I think y’all misunderstood me. What I meant was, if I practice my ride cymbal technique for 20 minutes, 3 times a week, it will take 14 years to become automatic. I don’t want to wait that long. Hence, I’m focusing most of my practice time on the thing I want to internalize.

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a little time in on the pad today. Playing tomorrow night and was lazy to set the kit up- breakables packed away. So I took out my ride cymbal and was practicing like we were talking, fingers and fulcrum. But then my left hand picked up a stick and started tapping along with my feet (no pedals or snare.) Then I decided I need to also tighten up my L with the skip beats, then independent of the skip, then blasting out doubles then it just got really kind of carried away.
Anyway, I practiced confidence in my improvisation, and you know, I think I might share some tomorrow night!

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
Play ride cymbal. Focus on not hitting from arm. Accent from wrist on two and four. Use fingers to drive skip notes. Master at slow speed. Raise tempo. <Everything falls apart.> Master at higher tempo. Add feet. <Everything falls apart.> Master with feet. Add super-simple one-note comping. <Everything falls apart.>

I’m not normally a drinker, but there’s a time and a place for everything.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My kid would come barging in when I was practicing for my last performance. About the 2nd time he did it I was like no wait. Come on in. Let's work on keeping time among distractions.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Play ride cymbal. Focus on not hitting from arm. Accent from wrist on two and four. Use fingers to drive skip notes. Master at slow speed. Raise tempo. <Everything falls apart.> Master at higher tempo. Add feet. <Everything falls apart.> Master with feet. Add super-simple one-note comping. <Everything falls apart.>

I use arm on fast bouncy ride patterns, and likewise deliberately use arm on every open and closed roll I play.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score

I my quite humble opinion....perfect technique is a lifelong persuit. Think of players like Steve Smith who continually refine themselves even after the point of mastery. They certainly didn't put their careers on the back burner while focusing their efforts on getting it perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good here. Riley's techniques are a means to an end, which are meant to obtain the SOUND you're looking for. The sounds you hear are what should drive most of your playing, not the mechanics. Do work on the mechanics, but putting a lot of time into it each day is likely no more productive than just a little time each day. After about 20 minutes of one thing, there are diminishing returns on the time spent.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
I my quite humble opinion....perfect technique is a lifelong persuit. Think of players like Steve Smith who continually refine themselves even after the point of mastery. They certainly didn't put their careers on the back burner while focusing their efforts on getting it perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good here. Riley's techniques are a means to an end, which are meant to obtain the SOUND you're looking for. The sounds you hear are what should drive most of your playing, not the mechanics. Do work on the mechanics, but putting a lot of time into it each day is likely no more productive than just a little time each day. After about 20 minutes of one thing, there are diminishing returns on the time spent.
The mechanics are getting me much closer to the sounds I want. I have spent a lot of time experimenting, recording, and learning what that sound is. Now that I know what mechanics will get me that sound, I’m trying to build them into my muscle memory.