practice pad comparison

scottpep

Reaction score
Got a Blue lightning pad for Christmas so I decided to see how it sounded next to the Billy Hyde and the Evans Real Feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bob

G Man

Reaction score
This was very informative, if not a little on the low volume side. Thanks for the effort.

scottpep

Reaction score
I just used the camera mic so it didn't pick up great.. but you can still hear the different sounds.. I'll check the volume next time.. I love this new pad.

I wish I had some ocean front property. lol

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the review! Very informative. I've always wanted a practice pad with less rebound than my ReelFeel.

I see Prologix also has an All N 1 that allows you to switch between the blue lightning "extreme" workout and a red storm "regular" workout.

scottpep

Reaction score
I saw that as well and thought it would be a great pad.. This one was a gift and the ALL N 1 is a bit more money. Just a few days with this thing I can tell my doubles are much more solid on the kit. Don't be fooled by the word "extreme" it's SLIGHTLY more effort than a snare, but not much... Almost similar to a very loose snare or a 10 inch tom I'd say.

I loved my RealFeel but after playing this I never realized how firm it is...

G Man

Reaction score
Well, based on this post and an amazon gift card the inlaws gave me for xmas, i ordered the red one prologix. Thanks again for the revue.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
scottpep said:
I saw that as well and thought it would be a great pad.. This one was a gift and the ALL N 1 is a bit more money. Just a few days with this thing I can tell my doubles are much more solid on the kit. Don't be fooled by the word "extreme" it's SLIGHTLY more effort than a snare, but not much... Almost similar to a very loose snare or a 10 inch tom I'd say.

I loved my RealFeel but after playing this I never realized how firm it is...
Thanks Scott. I ordered the 10" blue lightning. Guessing the red is close to my RealFeel, so this'll give me close to an all N 1. Looking forward to trying this out!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Any idea where Vic Firth and Vater pads fit in on the scale? I like my grey VF best. The red Vater I got my son for Christmas feels ever so slightly softer to me. I don't think I'm imagining that either, as the pitch of the sticks hitting is also lower.

scottpep

Reaction score
I should go buy them to review them all side by side :p. I sortof remember the VF pad being like the RealFeel, which is an amazing pad.. I could almost use less rebound than the blue lighting..My left hand is terrible so with a low rebound pad if you hit it incorrect it shows more. I like that kindof response to force me into playing properly.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I have the Prologix Johnny Rabb signature pad. It's a lot like the "All in One" pad just minus the the brush pad. I also have a mini blue lightning pad that travels with me. The size is nice, there isn't a rim though and the pad is so light it never wants to move if I play anything pass mezzo forte. I'll probably pick up a 10" blue lightning down the road. Just wish I could sell all of my unwanted practice pads.

scottpep

Reaction score
I like to have one to travel to gigs, one by my drums and one upstairs... If I have a pad a and sticks beside me i'll play it.. even watching TV if the wife isn't home. If they are all put away together in my gig bag I won't use em..

you could always donate them to a young drummer or a school with a music program if your wanting to get rid of them. but I hear ya. Drum gear isn't cheap. Getting a few bucks always helps with the next purchase.

scottpep

Reaction score
I ordered from http://canadiandrumgear.com/ .. The guy who owns it is in Ontario.. quick shipping and a great guy. His site is growing he sells all kinds of stuff with more product every day. Always good to have a few more options in Canada :) I think he said he was getting Evans, Remo, Promark etc in the new year also.