Practice pad recommendation

almamadre

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new practice pad. Preferably one that I can put in a snare stand. Any recommendations?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I found I prefer non-rubber surfaces. Sometimes I make a lateral movement, with buzz rolls for example, and with rubber, the stick seems to stick to the pad. During the holidays I got a small 6" one from Zildjian with a graphic surface that's smooth. Feels very nice. Heavy enough to stay put on my lap, or you can mount it to a cymbal stand. They also make large ones to put on a snare or in a snare basket.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Remo silent stroke pad works ok for me, as does an ancient rubber pad I’ve had since I was little.

For fun and help developing precision, I like my Ahead Wicked Chops. It’s tiny and provides great feedback.

DD

Reaction score
I have the Vic Firth large size one and it’s great.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How good or bad are these..
I like the kind that can screw onto an old vintage cymbal stand- for maneuverability (instead of (sitting in) bulky snare stand)

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
How good or bad are these..
I like the kind that can screw onto an old vintage cymbal stand- for maneuverability (instead of (sitting in) bulky snare stand)

here we go this should answer me.. (lol

yea can't screw that on an old 1400 cymbal stand; no good ;
Remo makes pads that screw onto dedicated Remo pad stands. But, I don’t think the stands are being made any longer and Remo threading doesn’t match most cymbal stand threading. I found a used Remo pad stand from a local shop, and it’s great! But, I really don’t like the Remo Silent Stroke pad I bought to go with it, and the traditional Remo pad, although it has a good feel, is much louder than a rubber pad.

PS: Another issue with cymbal stands is that most don’t get low enough to sit while practicing.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Prologix.
One pad, two surfaces, four pads.

To deal with the inability to screw it into a cymbal stand, I put it in one of those snare stand things, guys.

39EF0766-B8BB-41A2-9F4F-6912A1EDD989.jpeg
DF99401B-CFEE-414F-AD88-88484B34CD3D.jpeg

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking to get a new practice pad. Preferably one that I can put in a snare stand. Any recommendations?
I have the red Vader 12” two sided pad sitting in a snare stand. I give it a B+. Soft rubber on one side, hard rubber on the other. The hard rubber is pretty realistic, but, a bit louder than the soft side.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend the Sabian Quiet Tone Classic QT-14SD. Uses a real drum head (coated)
Sits on a drum stand or just a drum and you can play with sticks or brushes.
I want to try one of those! I use a Remo pad now. I don't think I want any pad that has no rim. Rimshot dynamics are pretty crucial, and more difficult (for me) than regular sticking dynamics.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know that there is one perfect pad, so I currently have three that are fit for my purpose.

1) An older "desktop" model (oak base, rubber playing surface) that I adapted to fit a Remo practice pad (which was way too loud for me and I didn't care for the rim). It has good stick action and is easier to perform rolls and the like. I also like to use the heavy sticks with this pad (Powerwrist Builders PWB6-170 and Vic Firth MS4 Magnum). It is also the loudest of the pads I have.

2) REFLEXX CP-1 Conditioning pad on a Tama practice pad stand (H30TP). Harder pad surfaces like the one above can irritate my thumb after prolonged use, so this one gets the most usage do the softer 'hand feel.' I use the Flexx side exclusively (this is the firmer 3/4' side) over the Workk side (this is the softer 1/2" side). This is a pretty quiet pad and I can practice in my apartment living room later in the evening without bothering the neighbors. The only drawback with the combo is the Tame stand has a large head of a phillips screw that sits in and slightly above the center post, which has left a head impression of the screw on the "Workk" side of the pad.

3) RTOM - Moongel Workout Pad 7" attached to an AHEAD Drum Pad Stand (8mm threaded fitting). This pad has the least rebound out of all the pads of tried/owned and is great for the getting the wrist workout. It is the lowest volume of the three pads I own so again it can be used later in the evening without getting the neighbors upset or without having to crank the volume of the TV if I want to workout while watching a program. I often like to close a pad session out with this one after the REFLEXX.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my practice setup, right next to my day gig office setup. Love it. The Quiet Tone pad is the quietest and best-sounding piece in the kit.

And the must-have item for me was the Prologix Thunderkick, absolutely fantastic. Thinking of getting a second one to practice double bass.

D732EF8A-252E-479C-B0CF-BDC1179D6C86.jpeg
CCE24DFD-1DA7-42A2-8353-14FC6CB51654.jpeg

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the real feel pad. I also have an old Gladstone by Ludwig that is great for placing on the snare. I also use Remo style pads but my fav of those are the Calato model that has rubber on one side. I also have a three surface pad which is real nice and develops other skills but I can’t locate the company I purchased it from. Not a fan of the Sabian quiet tone pad. It wears down the tips of the sticks.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a fan of the Sabian quiet tone pad. It wears down the tips of the sticks.
I have one of these as well. Love the sound on top of a snare with wires on; fun to use with a Z L80 cymbal set. Haven't used it much, good that you mention wear, I like to use my sticks for quite a while. Maybe sand the coating down a bit?