Practice?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you know who "A.I" is ou get the bad joke of a title.
Anyway, does any of you record your practices?
I have a few clips from shows I've kept, but never bothered recording my practices. I can stand the sound quality I would get, and hated doingit. I had some mics, but I'm basically computer illiterate. So that's takin' the interface, and DAW out of the equation.
After watching so many YouTube vids, and knowing, recording practices would only help I took a semi plunge.
Tascam has a fairly new "Portastudio", that also acts as an interface, and mixer.
The thing sat for a couple weeks before I had the nerve to open it up pugh in some new mics, and turn it on.
It has 24 tracks, all can hold a mic, as well as a bluetooth function. The BT rules. Ya play to any tune, click track etc, and record your playing.
It took me a bit to get my mics placed right, and levels set, but wow.
W/out going to the laptop, the thing makes professional sounding drum tracks.
I don't want to sound like a commercial, but it's worth checking out.
I've realized, at the right distances, Paiste 2002's record amazingly!
Better than any other model I put up, and it wasn't even close (my ear)
Now, I gotta figure out how to export the contents of the SD card on my laptop, and I'll finally be able to start making my own..
Demos, covers, etc.....
The thing is a blast. Thought I'd mention it

Johnny K

Reaction score
Occasionally I do. I put a GoPro on a mic stand with a camera thread adapter and sit it behind my right shoulder point down at my right foot. The sound is good enough for me to hear where im messing up. But I am inherntly lazy and and im this to play drums, not learn how to video production so I dont do it as often as I should, mostly because its a PITA. Im hearing good things about the Zoom Q2N 4k. Cheaper than a GoPro too. Better sound quaity with the built in stereo x/y mics. FWIW, speaking of VP, I am able to open a GoPro video in Corel Videoshop Pro and save the audio track as a *.wav file to process in Ableton Live and then save it and overlay it back on the original video as a music track and mute the original audio on the video track. Then save it any format. Mostly low file size stuff for FB and Instagram.

http://instagr.am/p/BtovYw1Amns/

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I'm "inherently lazy" too. I've been wanting to do this for a few months now. That's also good to know about Abelton, and the Gopro, as I've installed it Abelton, but haven't used it at all. Hopefully, I won't procrastinate too long figuring out how to use it.
I have other reasons I want/need to set it up the way I'm doing it. Since I finally sat down, and started messing with the board, mics, mixing, I've been having a blast. There aren't enough hours in the day. I never thought I'd get to this point, so it feels good to have gotten this far.
I like that camera angle too.

Johnny K

Reaction score
My only gripe about the angle is I cant see my left hand. But I can see everything else. I could mount the thing on a boom stand and get an overhead, which would be ideal. I have 2 overhead mics, a snare mic and a kick mic, a 4 channel interface and Ableton to track it all. i've been so busy this year that I havent made a real recording using this gear. The last decent one I made, I used a GoPro, and two Iphones set in diffrernt places around the room to make a multiple camera angle video. It was all seat of the pants production. I had no clue WTF i was doing. The Corel Videopro program could sync all the video files, but I havent figured out how to make it sync to a wav file. I had to line them up using wave forms. Don't get wrong, VP is fun, but it is time consuming. And time spent on it is time Im not spending getting better on the drums. Here is a link to that mess.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I record gigs and study them post-gig. I always am upset and over critical with how I play (even during the gig) despite the crowd and band giving +++ feedback and clapping. The recordings usually sound good and I don't feel as bad afterwards. And I do try to practice, or at least play, daily. Nothing technical as I suck, - just more for mental clarity/piece of mind after a long work day, to try out new things, or just to create music.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is really cool! You were right about seeing your L hand on the first vid. I thought you were holding traditional style from that angle
You did an excellent job switching camera angles. So you were running all your video tracks at once, and could just move from one to the next with Abelton, or was that a video editor? (Like I said, I have yet to touch the program)
Hopefully, as I get into the video part, I'll figure it out.
My only gripe about the angle is I cant see my left hand. But I can see everything else. I could mount the thing on a boom stand and get an overhead, which would be ideal. I have 2 overhead mics, a snare mic and a kick mic, a 4 channel interface and Ableton to track it all. i've been so busy this year that I havent made a real recording using this gear. The last decent one I made, I used a GoPro, and two Iphones set in diffrernt places around the room to make a multiple camera angle video. It was all seat of the pants production. I had no clue WTF i was doing. The Corel Videopro program could sync all the video files, but I havent figured out how to make it sync to a wav file. I had to line them up using wave forms. Don't get wrong, VP is fun, but it is time consuming. And time spent on it is time Im not spending getting better on the drums. Here is a link to that mess.

That was very well done. I could imagine it took some time to set that up.
Like I had said, I've yet to open Abelton, so you are able to link vid, with audio?, or do you need a video editor?
You were also correct about the 1st camera angle. I thought you were playing traditional grip.

Jazzy, yeah, I'd do the same. I would be far to critical of myself, and that's a big part of why I'm trying to get some good quality recordings. I'm sure I can just use my phone, but I'd like to have some quality tracks saved, along with improving my playing. Even flowing well with a click track, I'll still not like certain aspects of my playing.
In a couple days, I've already noticed some improvement, but I'm realizing, I have work to do

Johnny K

Reaction score
You did an excellent job switching camera angles. So you were running all your video tracks at once, and could just move from one to the next with Ableton, or was that a video editor? (Like I said, I have yet to touch the program)Hopefully, as I get into the video part, I'll figure it out.

That was very well done. I could imagine it took some time to set that up.
Like I had said, I've yet to open Ableton, so you are able to link vid, with audio?, or do you need a video editor?
You were also correct about the 1st camera angle. I thought you were playing traditional grip.
I recorded the audio you hear on the video with mics/interface/computer/Ableton. In Ableton I dropped in a pre-recorded, drum-less version of the song on an empty audio track and set up individual audio tracks for the overheads, snare and kick drum mics. (PM me for the website of the drum-less tracks) and played along to it , after much practicing. while the cameras rolling.

I started this session by turning all 3 cameras on, got behind the kit, pressed record with the mouse to start the audio record/playback and played/recorded the song.

That was the easy part.

I'll explain the hard part later.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recorded the audio you hear on the video with mics/interface/computer/Ableton. In Ableton I dropped in a pre-recorded, drum-less version of the song on an empty audio track and set up individual audio tracks for the overheads, snare and kick drum mics. (PM me for the website of the drum-less tracks) and played along to it , after much practicing. while the cameras rolling.

I started this session by turning all 3 cameras on, got behind the kit, pressed record with the mouse to start the audio record/playback and played/recorded the song.

That was the easy part.

I'll explain the hard part later.
I will.
Thank you!

Johnny K

Reaction score
Now that it's Sunday...And I have a beer, lets see if I can describe this in less than 1000 words.

Synopisi

4 tracks and a drum-less track recorded in my DAW, Ableton Live 9.
3 videos recorded from different angles using 2 iPhones and 1 GoPro

1st task.

In Ableton. Use the available audio plugins for the tracks. Mostly EQ and Compression (and I suck at the compression as all my ghost notes sound like regular hits).
For individual tastes, on the Kick I like to use a plugin called Foyer. It gives the kick that slap back echo effect Bonham has on the song When The Leeve Breaks in conjunction with a little reverb on the snare. I use these lightly. For the Left FOH side overhead I add a little EQ preset called Hi-Hats. I brings out the hi-hats a little more. On the over the shoulder, right side overhead I use something called More Mids to bring up the toms up and takeawy some of the crsipy peaks to the cymbals. Best I can tell you what to do is experiement I have many hours invested in playing with every plugin and preset to find what sounds good to my ear. after all the individual tracks are done, I bounce them to a master track then shape the final sound further using the mastering plugins. Lastly I export to a *wav file, ready to drop into the music track on the Video editor.

Toast-Tee, learning to use Ableton is on you. Lots a great resources on YouTube. Time spent learning is time well spent. The Tutorials built into the program are also very good. I am putting this out there...Ableton or any other DAW has a steep learning curve, but it's one worth climbing if you care how your sound. If your making YouTube/Instagram videos. Here is an example of a badly mastered track.

http://instagr.am/p/BrHMz7BD1tf/
2nd task.

Get all the video files off the iPhones and the GoPro. Easy enough, create a project file on the computer and dump them there. along with the mastered audio track from the DAW.

I use Corel VideoStudio 18. There are others. NCH Software's Video Pad video editor is also good.

I start a project, select a multi-cam option and dump all the video tracks into the editor. Then I hit the sync button and the program does the rest to line them all up. I suspect they just match the audio from all the cameras.

The key to getting any of this right is to not edit any raw footage, video and audio, before it's all sync'd together. Once it is all sync'd, mute the audio from the indiviual video tracks so it doesnt bleed into your mastered audio track and find the beginning and end of the song. Then snip out everything in front and at the end. No body cares to see you walk to a drum kit. Then hit playback and watch the product and look for point where you want to change camera angles. Save the project. You cane make a full you tube video or a 60 second instagram clip. Use the built in fade to blacks and title editors. skys the limit. I am lazy so a simple fade in and fade out to black works for me and a short title block. You can set the overlaps in the video editor and you can also fade up and fade down the audio too. Once you get something you like, export it to a video format you like.

Thats the crib notes version. The only way to learn is to do.

FWIW - I have less than 1000 dollars into recording gear. The most expensive things are the microphones.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize how much went into this. You're right, this is on me, and I'm determined. I have been watching videos on Abelton, and I'm not going to lie, it's confusing as of now.
It's even more amazing to me, how some of these YouTube cats are able to put out a new video every few days, or weeks.
I guess they had to go through all this at one time, and if someone else can do it, in time I'll get there.
I have been putting in the time on getting a good drum sound, and I feel pretty good about that.
I don't want to put the cart before the horse, or it could mess me up.
I realize I won't get this tomorrow, but I will take, and follow all of your suggestions.
Thanks for taking the time to outline, explain all this, and at the same time encourage me. That was a giant help!

Johnny K

Reaction score
You're Welcome Toast Tee. Glad I could help.

Just so you know, those cats on YouTube do stuff pretty fast because they have a finely honed workflow and it's all 2nd natures. At least the ones who make a living at it do. And guys like Stephen Taylor and Mike Johnstson have folks behind the camera helping out. Even Tommy Igoe has said you should never do your own mastering. But since I dont have a staff, i'll do it myself.

The bottom line i'm looking for is to burn my track to a CD and go play it in my car. If I can feel a kick in the back from the bottom end, then I'm happy with my master. Another mastering trick I picked up, if you get it close to correct, when you turn the volume down on what ever youre playing back, you should still hear vocals, snare and kick/bass. Try that with any tune on the radio and you'll see what I mean.

Johnny K

Reaction score
Update:

Picked up a used Q2HD on FB marketplace for 75 bucks 10 days ago. Not bad.

Toast Tee - just get one of these and a decent tripod. Disregard everything I wrote. Save youself the headache. It'll do everything you need it to do. This thing is perfect for recording practice sessions. If you still plan to make cover videos, do it the hard way.

Short clip:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually got the Yamaha EAD10. A student of mine has it, and it does everything I was looking to do, plus it's super easy to use. It should be here today.
I'm still going to work with the board, and DAW, as I really do want to get the true sound of my drums , and cymbals. The EAD isn't going to get the sounds of my gear, and that's what I ultimately want.
Man, you really went above, and beyond for me.
I really appreciate it!

Johnny K

Reaction score
I actually got the Yamaha EAD10. A student of mine has it, and it does everything I was looking to do, plus it's super easy to use. It should be here today.
I'm still going to work with the board, and DAW, as I really do want to get the true sound of my drums , and cymbals. The EAD isn't going to get the sounds of my gear, and that's what I ultimately want.
Man, you really went above, and beyond for me.
I really appreciate it!
I so want to get one of those. I saw Mike Dawson (Modern Drummer Podcast) using his at a clinic he did back in June. He had it plugged in the house sound board and worked great. I picked his brain about during the after clinic Q&A. I dont see a downside to the unit, except price. I'm putting it on the Christmas wish list.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I so want to get one of those. I saw Mike Dawson (Modern Drummer Podcast) using his at a clinic he did back in June. He had it plugged in the house sound board and worked great. I picked his brain about during the after clinic Q&A. I dont see a downside to the unit, except price. I'm putting it on the Christmas wish list.
Like you, after hearing it, I had to have one. It was just too easy to get where I wanted to go recording wise.
I'm still determined to learn to use my DAW, and all that.
Idk, I think this unit will change a lot of things going forward. It's amazing how 1, or 2 triggers can make the kit sound so good (or weird)

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I record every practice and gig for myself. Sometimes i send it to the other members if they want it. But i evaluate it for myself and see what i done and what I/we can do better

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was always that way with gigs. Especially when we'd do new tunes.
Recording my practices has been an amazing, yet humbling experience. I'm my own biggest critic. It's not easy to show others my work. If a bass drum stroke is a bit too far, or in front, it drives me nuts. I don't like that about my playing.
I play best when I'm loose, and relaxed.
I really should start posting vids now, and again. If for no other reason, to keep me lose.
When I'm playing, I don't feel this way. It's always after the fact. Recording is definitely helpful in so many ways

Latest posts