Practice?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread till now because I was off DFO for like a month busy with other stuff. Thanks for making me look at another piece of gear I don't need but now I want!:confused: LOL!!
I had a Tascam portastudio back in like I think 1991 or 1992. I bought it on a trip to L.A. from Guitar center. It was the first time I had ever walked into Guitar Center since it didn't exist back then in Florida. (I was amazed at the store!) They had a stacked pallet with the units on sale and I bought one and brought it home. It was a 4 track and it used standard cassettes. I used it to record my own practice sessions with a couple of mikes and it worked great. I can just imagine how your's must sound with today's digital technology. Very Cool!
I've pondered on how to & where to position my Go pro to record practice sessions. The idea though of that recorder sounds great because you get that professional quality. I'm not to interested in seeing myself anyways, I just want to hear the sound. I looked into that Yamaha EAD10 but it won't work because of the size of my kit. Half of my stuff would get lost in the mix because of that single microphone that it has. I see that Musician's friend has a 6 track unit for like $129 which should be OK to play around for practice. I see you have a 24 track which is massive!

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always heard good things about Tascam Portastudio's, and checked out some of the old ones. They've come a long way. The Model 24, works as a mixer, interface for your DAW, has an amazing bluetooth feature, and on...
I don't think there's been a device with all the functionality? Well, not near the price range.
I've never used a board, let alone mic my own drums, so it's been a killer learning experience. I haven't even got to the DAW yet. The studio does an unbelievable job, mixing, and recording to an SD card. Geez, I didn't know what phantom power was.
I think it's so cool when I hear people mention the older models. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about them.
They aren't cheap, and I feel ya about more equipment, but to get all those functions on different devices would cost a painful amount.
Idk if you seen Yamaha's EAD10? That's an incredible device too, but in a different way.
I just sounded like a commercial

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've always heard good things about Tascam Portastudio's, and checked out some of the old ones. They've come a long way. The Model 24, works as a mixer, interface for your DAW, has an amazing bluetooth feature, and on...
I don't think there's been a device with all the functionality? Well, not near the price range.
I've never used a board, let alone mic my own drums, so it's been a killer learning experience. I haven't even got to the DAW yet. The studio does an unbelievable job, mixing, and recording to an SD card. Geez, I didn't know what phantom power was.
I think it's so cool when I hear people mention the older models. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about them.
They aren't cheap, and I feel ya about more equipment, but to get all those functions on different devices would cost a painful amount.
Idk if you seen Yamaha's EAD10? That's an incredible device too, but in a different way.
I just sounded like a commercial
Yep, like I said, I checked out the EAD10 but it won't work. It's good for a small kit because of the limited microphone that it has. Anyways, this looks like another future project that I will look into and add to the todo list.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread till now because I was off DFO for like a month busy with other stuff. Thanks for making me look at another piece of gear I don't need but now I want!:confused: LOL!!
I had a Tascam portastudio back in like I think 1991 or 1992. I bought it on a trip to L.A. from Guitar center. It was the first time I had ever walked into Guitar Center since it didn't exist back then in Florida. (I was amazed at the store!) They had a stacked pallet with the units on sale and I bought one and brought it home. It was a 4 track and it used standard cassettes. I used it to record my own practice sessions with a couple of mikes and it worked great. I can just imagine how your's must sound with today's digital technology. Very Cool!
Back in the same era when i was a lead guitar player in a blues rock band, we did our band demo cassettes on a Tascacm 4 track portastudio. Yours truly was the sound engineer. A DAW is a peice of cake compareed to bouncing tracks across multiple cassette tapes.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the same era when i was a lead guitar player in a blues rock band, we did our band demo cassettes on a Tascacm 4 track portastudio. Yours truly was the sound engineer. A DAW is a peice of cake compareed to bouncing tracks across multiple cassette tapes.
I would agree with you about the DAW, but I'm horrible at computers. They scare the hell out of me lol.
I wouldn't have learned to use PC's at all, if back in the 90's it was an easy, inexpensive way........
Speaking of tape, I recently learned the "pre vocals " at the end of Whole Lotta, was bleed Page decided to leave

Latest posts