Practicing basic rudiments with traditional grip?

ButchA

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

First off, allow me to confess that I have never really had a professional drum lesson in my life. I mean, okay, back in the 70's in high school, I got "shown" how to play a basic 4/4 tempo rock beat, and that was it. I took it from there and sort of picked up things on my own by ear.

Anyway, I have been working on single stroke rolls, paradiddles, and discovered that I can do it a little better with a traditional grip rather than a matched grip. Is this normal?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are most likely going to have to post a video of yourself playing traditional and matched grip. There could be a lot of things going on.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

First off, allow me to confess that I have never really had a professional drum lesson in my life. I mean, okay, back in the 70's in high school, I got "shown" how to play a basic 4/4 tempo rock beat, and that was it. I took it from there and sort of picked up things on my own by ear.

Anyway, I have been working on single stroke rolls, paradiddles, and discovered that I can do it a little better with a traditional grip rather than a matched grip. Is this normal?
I think it’s normal. Despite my handle, I too can play rudiments a bit faster and more tension free with traditional grip, than matched grip, even than with my right hand. I attribute it to my ability to play with lower stick heights with traditional grip.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had been playing matched grip most of the time....then yes....it would outside the norm.

I played traditional for 52 yrs then switched to matched for 3 yrs. Some of my rudiments are now faster with matched. But the rolls and fine "comping" may never be exceeded by matched.
One interesting point I've noted. Despite playing matched 95% of the time.....my rudiments using traditional have improved fairly significantly. I'd want to say that whatever I gain in matched, the traditional comes up around 65-80% of that
despite almost never using it. So the muscle memory is still getting advanced regardless of grip.

ButchA

Reaction score
Do what works.
Thank you... Here's a few things about me:

I'm lefthanded, playing on a (100% fully backwards :p ) lefty electronic kit.
I play rock and common 4/4 tempo beats, matched grip.
I play swing and be-bop and easy blues shuffles, traditional grip.
I practice rudiments, flams, paradiddles, traditional grip.
I practice rolls, and snare/toms/floor tom accented rolls and alternating stick rolls, cymbal crashes, matched grip.

...One of these days, I will get it all figured out! :cool:

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you... Here's a few things about me:

I'm lefthanded, playing on a (100% fully backwards :p ) lefty electronic kit.
I play rock and common 4/4 tempo beats, matched grip.
I play swing and be-bop and easy blues shuffles, traditional grip.
I practice rudiments, flams, paradiddles, traditional grip.
I practice rolls, and snare/toms/floor tom accented rolls and alternating stick rolls, cymbal crashes, matched grip.

...One of these days, I will get it all figured out! :cool:
Maybe one day I'll get "normal" figured out