Practicing

iamanders

Reaction score
How should a beginner drummer practice knowing where they are in the tune?
I mean; if you take eg honky tonk women you play the first drumbeat over and over for a long time. I really find it difficult to know where I am in the tune. If I were to play piano there would at least be some chords who colld help me but on drums you play the same thing over and over again.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I would suggest is to look into song forms. This would give you the framework to section a song into "practical" chunks that you could loop when you are practicing (or to take as a whole).

Then you'll need to be conscious of the measure you are in and what part of the song it is in. For example ABAA form, .....2nd measure of the 1st verse (A).... 3rd measure of the verse... now getting ready to play the 8th with a fill to the chorus... etc.

Do not do this mindlessly unless you are just learning the beat or a fill to get the mechanics down... once the mechanics are there, quickly shift back into the mindful mode and place it into song form context. After a while this will come more natural to feeling basic 4's and 8's. Then challenge yourself with odd numbers in your song form. I'm not necessarily talking odd time here, but play beat A for 3 measures, beat B for 7 measures, fill for 1.5 measures, etc... and make a little song pattern/form in your mind. It doesn't have to be really musical at first as it is a counting exercise, but eventually you will want to make it more musical and to have some context to "real" playing in a song.

Latest posts