Pre 1955 Rogers drum sets and snares

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am sure this has already been covered here but why do you almost never see the above subject for sale? Especially sets? I think I have seen some marching stuff.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks JP. Very cool! I live in central Ohio and stated collecting in early 80s and they were not around then and still not. Now mid 50s and 60s yes and still are around. I have purchased 4 60s Rogers sets in the past 2 years. Atleast in central Ohio in the 80s and today you would see 5-10 as many of the other American made drums (George Way/Camco may be the exception) than pre 1955 Rogers sets.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
guilty as charged thanks jp! I have the 5pc Supreme outfit 1950-1953. There was one other set like it that Cherie Willo had on her webpage called it the prodogy set. It had 1 tom up top. Been hoarding the early snares for the past 20 yrs. Anybody else....cricket.cricket...the sound of one hand clapping. They make me smile. What we had to produce to get to the those tanks from 64. ahhh Rogers.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nice GC!! You have all snares. They must not have many sets in that era I guess.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! Aside from the 5pc Supreme outfit there were only 3 other sets offered for those years. A Joe Thompson transition drum set for sure. The 12 and 13 both sport only 5 lugs. Eclectic interiors with edges that curve inward like a bongo. The head touch the head 1" smaller than the drum.

Attachments

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why was Rogers so behind on the drum set production I wonder? I mean the other American companies were way ahead of them on set production.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cleveland Rogers passed away in 1952. The R lug 1940s drums few years before and after the war wasn't a big seller. The transition from NJ to OH in the early 1950s were the transition years. That's what I was after. The drums and old paper told me. The information is limited and incomplete for 1954. I'd say Rogers was getting out there once the endorsers came into play in 1958.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I don't think there was actually much made in the way of basses and toms before 1950. Gary, I always thought that it was mainly snares and calf heads before that. Is that correct? The earliest badges were rectangular brass 'Union Brand', 'Soo Brand' and one or 2 others I believe. I've never seen them on anything but a snare, but you would know better.
And the Eagle badges, and b&b lugs, came in right after Grossman bought the company, right?

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan thanks! The eagle landed on OH Covington goodness in 1955. Grossman bought the Co. in 1952. 1954 paper found shows the drums with the rectangular draped badges. In the OH era they still used a non eagle badge on a marching drum in the late 1950s catalog.

The lowest that was in Farmingdale, NJ is the SOO brand badge. I have not come across any Grossman era drums with this badge. There is a Union Brand badge was the most common found on NJ and OH drums. There is a Daisy Brand badge similar to Union. The 4th and best is the Three star brand badge.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig & Ludwig, Slingerland, Leedy, WFL and some Gretsch sets all with tunable toms in a some what modern set up were/are plentiful from the 40s and even late 30s.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rogers in the `60s was suddenly a player in the high end drum market because they had the right people and the right attitude to make drums that attracted attention. They eclipsed every other American manufacturer for a decade. Their earlier and later drums were good, and sometimes great, but the `60s is where they had the spotlight.

levelpebble

Reaction score
20160608_210201.jpg 20161029_151746.jpg
These were found in an attic just outside of Covington a few years ago. Very early swivo h/w. Seems like they were working the kinks out of the optimal angles on the swivo mounts. This tom mount sticks straight out the side of the bass drum. Totally factory. The FT is a 60s 14x16.

Latest posts