Pre aged dry light

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own a 20". It would likely be the last ride cymbal I would part with If I were ever forced to sell them off.

jsp210

Reaction score
This seems to have a bit more spread than my K Custom Dry Light that I love so much. I would definitely be interested in trying one of these.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tom....you may be getting a call from my wife. She will want to know why her husband keeps buying MORE cymbals....

Just picked up a used 20” off of Guitar Center based on your post. $249 +tax. I know the 22” seems to get the attention, but I don’t need another 22” at this time.

In case anyone is interested, I saw at least three other 20” PADLRs on Guitar Center used pages. $229, $239 (2), and $269.

I will have to see where it fits in my lineup.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a nice one in the video. Not sure how much they varied. Quite a few that I tried were more lmedium than light. They have more bite than KCons and Keropes, higher, often thicker bells. Apples and oranges, totally different design and sound idea if you ask me, the anatomy being more like the K Jazz ride.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They vary A LOT

Some definite clunkers out there.
Listen and get weight before you buy.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the original Pre Aged K's came out in the early 90's. They came out of a guy at the Zildjian factory named "Charlie." Charlie made cymbals for Zildjian endorsers (exclusively?) and those were affectionately referred to as "Charlie Customs." If I remember they didn't have any ink on them at all.

I do recall that hey were never stamped or marked as such. I played a bunch and was offered some to buy (from a few endorsers,) but never found a "GREAT one." Only a Zildjiam "insider" (or longtime endorser) could confirm this info. I think I am remembering it correctly.

But I believe those "Charlie Customs" evolved into "Pre-Aged," they disappeared for a while and then came back as these "Pre-aged Customs."

Maybe Johnny D can confirm my memory on these.
Johnny?????

MSG

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the original Pre Aged K's came out in the early 90's. They came out of a guy at the Zildjian factory named "Charlie." Charlie made cymbals for Zildjian endorsers (exclusively?) and those were affectionately referred to as "Charlie Customs." If I remember they didn't have any ink on them at all.

I do recall that hey were never stamped or marked as such. I played a bunch and was offered some to buy (from a few endorsers,) but never found a "GREAT one." Only a Zildjiam "insider" (or longtime endorser) could confirm this info. I think I am remembering it correctly.

But I believe those "Charlie Customs" evolved into "Pre-Aged," they disappeared for a while and then came back as these "Pre-aged Customs."

Maybe Johnny D can confirm my memory on these.
Johnny?????

MSG
nomsgmusic, excellent memory! The Pre-Aged line was launched in 1994, I believe. We did a photo shoot with a bunch of artists at the MD Festival for the ad to support the launch and I recall it being 1994, but could be wrong. I’m sure someone can verify. Pre-Aged Ks were great cymbals and the first attempt to replicate the original “Turkish K” sound.

The guy you’re referring to is Charlie Yannizzi who ran the factory at the time. This was before Paul was making cymbals. He was a lathe operator. There were a couple of other pretty good cymbal makers in those days, who later moved on.

Charlie did make some one-off cymbals for endorsers, which were variations of what we already had. And we only did it for a few artists as long as it didn’t interrupt production. It was more labor intensive and far less automated in those days. Those cymbals may well have evolved into the Pre-Aged line. That sounds right. Peter Erskine, Adam Nussbaum, John Riley and Bill Stewart (who I had just signed around ‘93 or ‘94) were always chasing the “Turkish K” sound. They were amongst the endorsers who helped develop and field test them. Maybe Tony too, but I can’t remember.

Charlie also worked with Vinnie when he came to the factory in 1990, which led to the development of the A Customs.

Does this answers your question?

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know Adam Nussbaum says one of his favorites was his 22".

I saw Billy Hart gig and he had a wondeful thin 20".
I sat 6 feet from him. Played Zildjian 7A with ball tip.

Wonderful cymbal. I owned two . Way too heavy. Maybe Billy went to factory

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Pre-Aged Rides came out in 1991 - MD reviewed it in June of 91 and they mentioned that it was debuted at NAMM that year. I also remember that Tommy Campbell had one when I was taking lessons with him that same year.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1991 or 92 seems more likely:

Some infor on the PADL in here:
The Pre-Aged Rides came out in 1991 - MD reviewed it in June of 91 and they mentioned that it was debuted at NAMM that year. I also remember that Tommy Campbell had one when I was taking lessons with him that same year.
Thanks guys. I'm slipping with my human calendar abilities! lol I wouldn't have guessed 1991, only because we launched the A Customs in the fall of '91, and officially at NAMM '92, but I can't argue with the facts.

Guess we were more productive than I remember back in the good old days...

Reaction score
nomsgmusic, excellent memory! The Pre-Aged line was launched in 1994, I believe. We did a photo shoot with a bunch of artists at the MD Festival for the ad to support the launch and I recall it being 1994, but could be wrong. I’m sure someone can verify. Pre-Aged Ks were great cymbals and the first attempt to replicate the original “Turkish K” sound.

The guy you’re referring to is Charlie Yannizzi who ran the factory at the time. This was before Paul was making cymbals. He was a lathe operator. There were a couple of other pretty good cymbal makers in those days, who later moved on.

Charlie did make some one-off cymbals for endorsers, which were variations of what we already had. And we only did it for a few artists as long as it didn’t interrupt production. It was more labor intensive and far less automated in those days. Those cymbals may well have evolved into the Pre-Aged line. That sounds right. Peter Erskine, Adam Nussbaum, John Riley and Bill Stewart (who I had just signed around ‘93 or ‘94) were always chasing the “Turkish K” sound. They were amongst the endorsers who helped develop and field test them. Maybe Tony too, but I can’t remember.

Charlie also worked with Vinnie when he came to the factory in 1990, which led to the development of the A Customs.

Does this answers your question?
Yes, but no real question from me. I was just trying to offer the fellas some background (which I think-hope is accurate) to the Pre Aged Dark cymbal that was mentioned. Those "Charlie Customs" were THE buzz for a while. I never met Charlie, but have fond memories of Leon Chiapinni teaching-assisting me a couple of times in how to choose a cymbal in the selection room. GREAT times!

Mark

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I had a 20" Pre-Aged-Dry-Light ride for a while. It was one of the first items I ever bought from ebay many years ago.
I recall it being mellow in tone & light in weight with a nice edge wobble but I was using it in the wrong context at the time. (blues-rock guitar trio) All it's inherent subtleties were lost so I ended up selling it - and wish now I never had. They're not seen for sale often.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I had a 20” PADLR for many years. My first K. It was a fine and idiosyncratic cymbal: heavy on one side and always rotated in a lopsided manner to that spot. Really nice crash sound but I never bonded with it as a ride, although I did use it off and on.

Eventually a K Custom Dark Ride filled it’s spot and I sold it. It took a year to decide to part with it. I really wanted to like that cymbal more. I hope whoever has it now loves it and plays it constantly.

Latest posts