Pre aged dry light

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Picked my 20” up today from Guitar Center. Obviously no pics or video yet.

Only had a few minutes with it so far. It weighs 2150g which I would assume leans towards the heavy side for a 20” “light” ride.

The bell is beautiful-clear tone and bright. Only thing is that it seems to dominate the sound of the cymbal. While riding on the bow you get this sympathetic pitch that sounds like the bell, and it rings like that the while time. I will try some different sticks, felts and a different stand when I get time.

I have 45 days to return it for a full refund so....

Hope I am not in quarantine!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've owned two 20"s and a 22" 2460g - none struck me as that amazing (nor light!)........the video sounds good, though.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The bell is beautiful-clear tone and bright. Only thing is that it seems to dominate the sound of the cymbal. While riding on the bow you get this sympathetic pitch that sounds like the bell, and it rings like that the while time. I will try some different sticks, felts and a different stand when I get time.
In general , that's called an integrated bell, nothing wrong with it per se. Typical for lighter rides. You could try putting a bit of tape undeneath the bell if it's too much.
I did have the problem with my PADL that the bell was rather loud/high sounding, and a higher-pitched stick made the ride sound very loud/trashy/piercing. Lower-pitched wood, no problem. I would suggesty you try this if you like the overall sound and performance.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In general , that's called an integrated bell, nothing wrong with it per se. Typical for lighter rides. You could try putting a bit of tape undeneath the bell if it's too much.
I did have the problem with my PADL that the bell was rather loud/high sounding, and a higher-pitched stick made the ride sound very loud/trashy/piercing. Lower-pitched wood, no problem. I would suggesty you try this if you like the overall sound and performance.
Thank-you! I appreciate your insight and suggestions. I am looking forward to figuring it out. 2150g seems to be in a good spot for a 20” ride judging by similar rides I have. I do like the bell sound-nice clear tone, not harsh etc.
I was thinking a 2” piece of gaffers tape may be just enough to get some separation and calm it down a bit.

thanks again

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an 18" that is perfect. It is a great crash ride, mostly used as a crash on the left or as a primary one cymbal set up for small stage work. It was the first K I bought, got it used I believe around 2003. Shortly after bought a 20" and the two were my main set up for about 5 years. I sold the 20" for some reason, you all know how that goes. I've bought and sold 3 22's none did it for me, too light and dark sounding for what I want a ride to do. They got swallowed up in the mix to easily, but I can see how they'd be great for other styles.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I found out about this ride earlier in the year and bought one used from Sam Ash. I just weighed it — 2160g. My reaction to it is similar to others’. It’s a fine ride, but I’m not blown away by it, and am somewhat turned off by the sympathetic pitch Mongrel mentioned. Maybe it’s a bit heavy for my taste, but I’ll try the tape strategy, too.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My recollection is that these were made when Zildjian was using only a few bell sizes. That's the turn off for me, bell are too big for a ride like this.

Of the ones I've heard, the 18 functions better as a big crash. Other than that, I'll pass..

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a nice one in the video. Not sure how much they varied. Quite a few that I tried were more lmedium than light. They have more bite than KCons and Keropes, higher, often thicker bells. Apples and oranges, totally different design and sound idea if you ask me, the anatomy being more like the K Jazz ride.
They vary A LOT

Some definite clunkers out there.
Listen and get weight before you buy.
They do vary quite a bit. I had one that was just awful. 20", don't remember the weight but remember thinking it was heavier than most 20" mediums that I had owned. It just had no life. Completely dead, not dry, dead. I worked with it for a long time, at least a year, but it just never came around. I thought maybe it was just me and there had to be something great in there waiting to come out if I could just coax it, and how cool would it be if that was the case?
But no. Sadly. Just a dud. Had a bad taste in my mouth about that model ever since.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I resented that thing.
It was one of the worst relationships I've ever been in.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
They vary A LOT

Some definite clunkers out there.
Listen and get weight before you buy.
Truer words never spoken . I have experienced some of the clunkers .
I have owned 2 x 20” ( both awful) a
22” ( mediocre ) and an 18” ( great crash ). This is not to say there are no good ones . One of my local shops back in the day had an 18” that would be the absolute perfect left side ride . Buttery warm stick and lots of wood in the stick sound . Gorgeous crash too .

Latest posts