header.nohb.html

Pre-Play Stretches for Drummers

DrummersRx

Reaction score
Pre-Play Stretch for Drummers - "Before you SIT & HIT"

These 6 standing stretches are meant to improve mobility for drummers before they practice or perform.

A general body warm-up should always come before a technical warm-up of hands and feet on your kit.

Drummer's Rx

Attachments

• DRx Before you Sit and Hit1024_1.jpg
    DRx Before you Sit and Hit1024_1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DRx VM.jpg
    DRx VM.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 48

DrummersRx

Reaction score
Pre-Play Stretch for Drummers - "Before you SIT & HIT"

These 6 standing stretches are meant to improve mobility for drummers before they practice or perform.

A general body warm-up should always come before a technical warm-up of hands and feet on your kit.

Drummer's Rx
Here is a PDF to print and share with higher resolution: Google Drive PDF

drumsanity

Reaction score
Loading in, taking drums from cases, opening cymbal stands and setting up while having to maneuver around 4 guitar players and their gear because they just can't seem to let me find my footprint before they have to plug in, power up and noodle at volumes higher then necessary while going through and setting the volume for each pedal button is all the warm up & stretching I seem to need.

Last edited:

boonky

Reaction score
Go to the 51:24 mark of this video and try that.

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
1. Arrange your sticks parallel tip to butt.
Hold them in your hands, palms up, straight out in front.
Lightly grip them one hand at each end.
You are now in the starting position.

2.Raise and rotate your right hand and bring it towards yourself so that you end uo with your right hand inverted and sticks pointing toward your chest.
Continue this motion now moving the right hand down then out and to the right, ending in a palm up positionand allowing the sticks to rotate in order to follow the hand movements.
Following the right is the left hand, but ending palm up the left side.

3. You are now twisted and inverted and holding your sticks very loosly, (or you are calling 911 with two broken wrists), remember, I sad hold them loosely!.

4. Now you get the best finger grip on them and push your arms out. Feel the stretch but don't hurt yourself.

5. Do a reverse procedure ending in the start position.

6. Repeat.

This was first taught to me by Dennis Coyman (famed Polka Drummer), and over time my flex and mobility in my wrists and forarms have vastly improved. It now comes so easily that I jusy do a couple for a warm up stretch before playing.

Last edited:

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Loading in, taking drums from cases, opening cymbal stands and setting up while having to maneuver around 4 guitar players and their gear because they just can't
seem to let me find my footprint before they have to plug in, power up and noodle at volumes higher then necessary while going through and setting the volume for each pedal button is
all the warm up & stretching I seem to need.
It turns into an agility workout at times. Ha.