pre serial 20" Paiste 602 med. ride

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm in a position to acquire this cymbal . I brought it home for a test and it has everything I want /need for a two cymbal set up . B 20 alloy makes it more compatible than 2002 B8 , It sounds best with my go to stick of the past couple of years . A hair over 2400 gms . Crashes beautifully .

Its not very often the perfect cymbal comes my way , so would you pay the asking price ?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 22” 602 that I sold off eventually. Didn’t like it compared to my old As. Thing was uncontrollable and would ring forever. It was higher pitched than my 50s As. Maybe the 20s are better. I think at the end of the day, I have Zildjian ears and hands.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 602 medium ride is a classic all purpose choice, but there are a lot of them on the market and often go cheaper. On the other hand, the fact that you got to test it at home and you already know you love it does increase the amount I/you would pay.

It depends on whether that say $200 difference is worth not having to buy, try, and flip a few of them before landing the perfect one.

I normally would not pay the exorbitant new price for an Agop, but there was one at my local shop that was exactly everything I ever wanted in a ride, so I shelled out the 400+ and have never regretted it.

TPC

Reaction score
Nice looking cymbal, but I agree that the price is at the very top end of the market. The fact that it still has the ink stamp might bump up the price a tad, the fact that it sounds great can push up the price too, but still, at 2400 grams ...? These things are readily available for a lot less.

That said, if this one "speaks to you" it could be worth it. How often do you find a cymbal that does that?

kallen49

Reaction score
This month I was able to acquire a Paiste 3000 20” ride in very good condition for $175.
Also Paiste 14” Sound Edge hats in like new shape for $300 (all $CAN)
I have a friend here in Southern Ontario who buys large collections and then parts them out.
The local L& M tells me they have had a lot of drum gear sold to them this summer. As you may know they will pay you 60% of what they can sell for (as long as they agree they can re-sell the item).
I wonder if this is the beginning of a mass sell off by boomers in advance of a recession? But I’m programmed to worry about stuff like that, expect the worst but hope for the best.

I check Dave’s website for comparable pricing also Century Drum and Murat’s shops in Toronto, these guys need to make a living so at least you are supporting them.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Vintage" or "Preserial" don't make much difference to me on Paiste 602's. I think the modern reissues are just as good without all that markup.

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Benny $250, To $200.00 is the going rate on them, you got it for a good price, Plus you love it so !??!?! Enjoy and play the mighty pre serial 602. love all of mine,

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice looking cymbal, but I agree that the price is at the very top end of the market. The fact that it still has the ink stamp might bump up the price a tad, the fact that it sounds great can push up the price too, but still, at 2400 grams ...? These things are readily available for a lot less.

That said, if this one "speaks to you" it could be worth it. How often do you find a cymbal that does that?
How often ? Not very often for me . It's usually too much of this and not enough of that . Of the many cymbals that have passed through my life, I can count the keepers on 1 1/2 hands and I'm inclined to believe this is one of them .

I find these to reveal themselves more and more as time goes on .

Hopefully the honeymoon will be long and satisfying and we can get old together .

The stamp is halfway worn off ... how cool is that ?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advice and interest, guys n gals .

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice cymbal. I play a 20" 602 as well. I crash mine with the shank all the time. Its not going anywhere real soon.
Enjoy

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 802 pre-serial is also 20" and 2400 gms like yours. I picked it up for $135. Does have the tiniest of hairline cracks at the bell hole that have probably been like that for 25+ yrs. Seller didn't notice them. Doesn't give me anything amazing over what my vintage Zildjians do. So a bit disappointed in that. Searching for the "perfect" cymbal sound is just like hunting down a "perfect" drum sound...most elusive....and probably no end to the trail.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks for the weight on that one. I already had it in my records because it has the crooked model ink which is great to show that even Swiss precision can have a slightly off day. :glasses8:

At CAD400 the price was well above the going rate based on my price tracking data. However, it is hard to quantify the expected price adjustment for Canada as my data is dominated by the US market -- because that's where most cymbals sell which I'm able to track. In addition to the anecdotal evidence people have given, the expected price (USD excluding shipping) for a preserial 20" ride in that condition and weight range is USD200 plus or minus USD25. That is based on 276 sales specifically for preserial 602 cymbals excluding Black Label and Blue Label and Reissues. Yes I have a lot of data. :icon_e_ugeek:

At CAD100 off the asking price you got a reasonable deal at today's exchange rate. That is presuming the web site (and you) were talking CAD not USD. Keeping track of currencies and which country a cymbal and buyer are in is something which often gets overlooked by people giving price advice, and I'm still trying to come to grips with calibrating better international comparisons.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the weight on that one. I already had it in my records because it has the crooked model ink which is great to show that even Swiss precision can have a slightly off day. :glasses8:

At CAD400 the price was well above the going rate based on my price tracking data. However, it is hard to quantify the expected price adjustment for Canada as my data is dominated by the US market -- because that's where most cymbals sell which I'm able to track. In addition to the anecdotal evidence people have given, the expected price (USD excluding shipping) for a preserial 20" ride in that condition and weight range is USD200 plus or minus USD25. That is based on 276 sales specifically for preserial 602 cymbals excluding Black Label and Blue Label and Reissues. Yes I have a lot of data. :icon_e_ugeek:

At CAD100 off the asking price you got a reasonable deal at today's exchange rate. That is presuming the web site (and you) were talking CAD not USD. Keeping track of currencies and which country a cymbal and buyer are in is something which often gets overlooked by people giving price advice, and I'm still trying to come to grips with calibrating better international comparisons.

Enjoy.
I just checked , zen - 300 Canadian today = 226 American

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seems if you play long enough decades eventually a 602 20" Ride ends up in your lap.. happened/s to everyone./

Latest posts